Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wat webpage designing software to use?

Options
  • 08-11-2007 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

hi guys
    im starting a prototype for my final year project but i still havint decided wat software to use to design teh website with,
    there is a free software called Treliian in our labs at college, I have heard its good, but Im still not sure whether its the route i should take or not.
    id appreciate any opinions on the situation
    thanks very much,
    ed

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Depends if you want a wysiwyg editor or not.

Dreamweaver is good, possibly overkill, something free like NVU might suit.

Personally, I like textpad + filezilla, or Coda

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

i find cssedit on a mac very handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭BRENSH

I always found dreamweaver a very easy one to use. It is nice and professional software. Beware if you are used to word it is nothing like it though. It is not really a drag and drop interface like word or even frontpage. You must have a bit of knowledge of html and even css before you start though. It is an expensive investment though but it is worth it.

P.S you can always write it in notepad and keep refreshing the page.

thats what I do now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,401 ✭✭✭randombar

A lot better than notepade = Notepad++

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

I use dreamweaver but more as a notepad and I got used to it.
    I also have PHP Designer 2007 but never got the hang of it so moved back to DW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

BRENSH wrote: »
    I always found dreamweaver a very easy one to use. It is nice and professional software. Beware if you are used to word it is nothing like it though. It is not really a drag and drop interface like word or even frontpage. You must have a bit of knowledge of html and even css before you start though. It is an expensive investment though but it is worth it.
    I just looked at the price - nearly 400 Euro. Not bad if you are a professional and will be doing a few sites. NVU looks ok. It really depends on what kind of website you are developing and, critically, whether this is the only website you will ever design.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭ColinJennings

I got dreamweaver as a student and it was much less than 400. Maybe the whole package is 400, but that includes fireworks, flash and something else I installed and then uninstalled almost immediately! I think it was closer to €150-250 that I paid for it, but I don't remember.

I use it, but merely to see the different colour on the code, which you get on notepad++ that GaryCocs mentioned above, which is free.

NOTE: Just checked the adobe site. Dreamweaver for students is €199.
    https://store2.adobe.com/cfusion/store/index.cfm?store=OLS-EDU-EU#view=ols_prod&loc=en_xeu&store=OLS-EDU-EU&categoryOID=1657327&distributionOID=103

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 virtualoffice

hi guys
    im starting a prototype for my final year project but i still havint decided wat software to use to design teh website with,
    there is a free software called Treliian in our labs at college, I have heard its good, but Im still not sure whether its the route i should take or not.
    id appreciate any opinions on the situation
    thanks very much,
    ed

We use Cofee Cup Trial download to teach basic web design
    Its an easy to use programme - you can try for 30 days an them pay a small price for full use - or keep download further trial versions.
    which has HTML code Editor and a you can work in a Visual editor as well
    You can download ftp programme , flash editor , form builders ect as add ons its worth a try - :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Dreamweaver, Dreamweaver - Its an amazing piece of software imo, especially with Stylesheets and stuff. CS3 is especially good.

Advertisement