Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What plug?

Options
  • 08-11-2007 11:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭

I just bought an item from China and it has some weird plug on it (see pic). Can I buy an adapter for this or can I just cut it off and put a UK/Irish 3 pin plug on it?

Please advice :(

Here's a pic of this plug I found on google;

Computer_Power_Cord_Plug.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

China use 220 Volt mains, you should be able to cut the plug off and replace it with the standard type.

Edit/ Just looked at your photo. Sould be fine with the standard type on it. Make sure you're connections are tight. If in doubt contact a qualified electrician.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Homer

Yup, the back of your product states that it is 220-270v so you can either cut and replace or if you don't feel comfortable doing that buy a travel adaptor!

Also, put a 3amp fuse in the plug. What type of equipment is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭eqwtegmtykultyk

Is a 3amp essential? Could I use a 13amp?

It's a re-work station - http://www.sparkfun.com/tutorial/SMD_HowTo/Hot-Air-Rework-1.jpg

It's rated for ~1.5Amps so it should really be a 3Amp fuse. They're available in nearly every shop. Can you not get one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭eqwtegmtykultyk

I'm near a power city, but taught maybe I could use 13amp (just been lazy :))...

Better to do it right I suppose ;).

Thanks for the advice guys.

No probs :)

Advertisement