Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stables in South Dublin? Callaighstown/Kellystown/Kill

Options
  • 08-11-2007 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Does anyone know if Callaighstown are any good for intermediate/advanced adult lessons? i.e. not hordes of people packed in, some trying to learn to trot, others wanting to jump and mayhem ensues, as is my experience with some stables. Not really feasible to go private but no problem paying for good lessons

Also, the same question goes for Kellystown, off the Grange Road in Rathfarnham. Not sure if they just do livery and cant seem to raise them by telephone. Anyone know if they do lessons? Anyone had good or bad experiences with them?

I've heard very good things about Kill, but its a bit of trek for me. Anyone ride there that can recommend it?

As per other post, just tring to find the best stables to learn/build contacts while looking for a share horse. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

SOmeone mentioned last week that Kellystown no longer do lessons because of "people like you" who took a compensation claim against them.

Where do you live? A friend and myself are thinking of going to Brennanstown in Bray, it's handy to get to from town/southside

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

I think you're referring to my post, but it wasn't Kellystown I was referring to. I can't remember the name of the stables, but it's on Killakee Road in Rathfarnham I think, might have been called Rathfarnham Riding Stables or something. It wasn't Kellystown though. It's located near enough to the Hellfire Club if that jogs any memories.
    I remember coming across some info on Kellystown a while back though and disregarded them from then as a potential new riding school for me as it was expensive and they only had a handful of horses, so they were still open for business then anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Clip-Clop

Avoid Rathfarnham. Too many kids in my opionion who dont know what they are doing and badly turned out horses. <snip>

From my experience, Carrickmines are good once you get up to a reasonable level but the beginners lessons are cattle-marts. The Paddocks in Stepaside are good to start off with- friendly yard, nice people, but i've heard from a friend of mine who rides there that they are not really equipped for serious competition.

As far as I know Kellystown are only a livery yard now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Kellystown off the Ticknock Road?, I was there about a month ago. Logistically wise it is quite a small yard. I had an excellant ride out up in the mountains at it.

I wonder how all the building is going to affect Carrickmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

Callaighstown are good and can offer private/semi private and group lessons. they also have som egreat trekking up the wicklow trails. I have taken a few exams up there and whil eits not as flashy or as big as Kill I find its a nice place with good customer service. They have a website:
    http://www.calliaghstownridingcentre.com/

Another option is Kildare International Equestrian centre run by the gaffney family up in rathmore (about 10 mins from Kill / Naas).
    http://www.kildareinternational.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭miami2007

hey clip clop, i learned to ride in calliaghstown years ago and loved it, havent been in about 5 years but i hear they are still excellent. stay away from kill, i found them very aloof. you mention horse share, ive been wanting to investigate something similar for yonks, how are you going about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Clip-Clop

Out in Callaighstown at the weekend. Very friendly yard and booked in for a lesson this week- impressed by what I saw even if it is a bit of a trek. M- i've pm-ed you re sharing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 FlashingLight1

i was riding in callaighstown for the last 6yrs or there abouts until i got my own horse but there pretty good...you can end up in lessons with a lot of people on the weekends but on the week days its pretty quiet..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Valde

Not sure if this was mentioned but Kill does have some of the best facilities around, especially after the special olypics where hosted there. But do be aware there are a good few "Newbies" around due to the new houses being built on there land but you can ofcourse avoid that by joining an advanced group of adults.

On the side because of someones bad memory of the place doesn't mean you won't love it the people who run it are top class and hold differnt events weekly such as leagues and jumping training on thursday/friday evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

I would rate callaighstown or kildare over Kill.

In kill it can vary sometimes you will spend more time walking around listening to an instructor than actually doing anything and they do not seem to let people progress v quickly.

saying that the facilities are fabulous and the family that own the place are brilliant teachers and riders.

callaighstown does all types of lessons and has great hacks and treks available too. More friendly atmosphere but facilities nowhere near kill

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 xdirtydiscox

This is to anyone really. I have been riding in Kellystown for the past two years and i have found them extremely nice and the horses are lovely, the lessons are great. A good place for beginners since their horses Harry,Abbey and topaz are very quiet horses and very pleasant to ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Fitzg

I started riding in Kellystown last summer and can not say enough good things about it. Yes its a small yard but the lessons are really well planned, the instructors are really attentive, encouraging and positive and the horses are well looked after and a joy to ride. If there were specific issues I wanted to focus on in a lesson the instructors were brilliant - and the ride-outs up the mountain are stunning - there is jumping and some beautiful canters not to mention the views.
    I can honestly say Kellystown is one of the most welcoming yards I have ever had the pleasure to ride in - ring them or email them and leave your number!!! they will email back!! ;)
    www.kellystownequestrian.com
    info@kellystownequestrian.com
    ph; 01 4954004
    <snip>

Best wishes,
    Fitzg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I've just started at Kellystown as an adult beginner, and they are FANTASTIC! :D

Advertisement