Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland V Brazil

• 08-11-2007 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭

Brazil have revealed they will play a friendly against the Republic of Ireland in Dublin next February.

The fixture at Croke Park was announced in a statement on the Brazilian Football Confederation website.

The CBF statement said: “The Brazilian national team will play next year’s first international friendly on February 6 – date set by FIFA – against the Republic of Ireland in Dublin.

“The game will be played at Croke Park Stadium which has 82,300 seats available.”

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

A "hard working" draw, which seeks to bolster both the FAI revenue's and let's the Irish say "we drew with one of the best in the world" :) But completely useles to judge how we'll be set for the WC qualifying campaign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

just a good PR stunt by FAI
    Last FAI meeting..
    Right lads we need
    "paper over the cracks, sellout croker park and distract the fans alway from our f**kups any ideas

Hmm lets get Brazil over

Will it work ....

F**k yes its

BRAZIL

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Super. Look forward to that. They'll not like Dublin in Feb. What month of the year did they play us in Lansdowne the last time we met?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Elano plays in Dublin and I'm away. B*llox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Already a thread on this. We play Brazil in February, Italy in March and Argentina in the Autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Ah thats my birthday I shall go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Brazil, Italy and Argentina? The new coach will have plenty of useful matches with which to work out players/formations so! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

More excited bout the Italians. Fair play for getting the World champions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Super. Look forward to that. They'll not like Dublin in Feb. What month of the year did they play us in Lansdowne the last time we met?

We last played them in February 2004. It ended 0-0 and Robbie Keane headed over from all of six yards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

ole ole ole ole

• Advertisement

Thanks G.G. I was at it, couldn't remember when it was on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Thanks G.G. I was at it, couldn't remember when it was on though.

You were there, too? It was a fantastic occasion, even if the match itself wasn't a classic

Yeah, I enjoyed it myself. Look forward to attending this 'un.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Oh God please make it stop,we're going to get drilled.What the Irish team need is matches against similar/slightly weaker or slightly stronger opposition to get some confidence back in the team before we can take on World class talent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭Loomis

We last played them in February 2004. It ended 0-0 and Robbie Keane headed over from all of six yards

Ronaldinho hit the bar with a shot from bout 25 yards if I'm not mistaken and Ronaldo blew by a few defenders and shaved the post. Made the defense look like fat, old, slow grannies.
    They didn't really put much into it though which is understandable. Still good experience to have seen the likes of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Kaka in the flesh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭DerKaiser

Good friendlies coming up, but I've been hard bitten by our national stars in the last few years, I just want to see a few convincing wins in competative matches,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

Still good experience to have seen the likes of Ronaldo, Ronaldinho and Kaka in the flesh

I hope it's not like my only time going to see Brazil in the flesh - went to The Emirates to see them in Feb this year but there was no Ronaldinho, Robinho, Ronaldo and a very disinterested Kaka. The night was freezing cold and Brazil had no interest in playing. In fairness to Portugal they played some decent football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭radiospan

eirebhoy wrote: »
    Already a thread on this. We play Brazil in February, Italy in March and Argentina in the Autumn.

Are those Italy and Argentina games still on?

The Examiner today says our three friendlies announced are Brazil in February, Serbia in May, and Norway in August.

(sorry for the bump, btw) :D

Well this was Cathal Dervan's article:
    The FAI will offer their new manager a triple-header Croke Park test against Brazil, Argentina and Italy next year.

John Delaney confirmed that he has concluded negotiations with the South American giants for Dublin visits.

Brazil are first up at Croke Park in February with world champions Italy set to follow in March and Argentina due in town next autumn.

“I have been negotiating with Brazil and Argentina to come to Croke Park and those games will happen,” said Delaney.

We play Serbia instead of Italy in March and we play Norway away in August. I'd say we'll still play Argentina at some point, probably next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

What is the story with tickets for the Brazil match?

• Advertisement

I doubt there'll be any for public sale, only those that the Brazilians don't take. Brazil tickets sold in a package with Serbia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I hate this block ticket crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Why? Is it because it rewards the fans who are willing to commit to going to every game or is there some other reason? It's the very same as a season ticket.

The block booking has been open and advertised by the FAI for manys a year and only recently closed in the last 10 months due to over subscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭dc69

I wonder when they agree to these games do they agree to bring some superstars?,I mean they could probably use a midfield of elano,lucas and anderson etc they wouldnt need their best players to beat us lol,wonder would rhonaldhino and kaka be bothered,when the other players i mentioned could do the job and are used to the climate and its only a short hop.

I would rather they played the Elano's, Doni's, Mancini's of this world. I think it would be a much better game to judge the players on.

dc69 wrote: »
    I wonder when they agree to these games do they agree to bring some superstars?,

There's a contract between federations, which will include the number of stars they will play etc..,

To get a Brazil friendly is upwards to 1,000,000 euro as far as I remember.

It's not about winning, more of about the marketing side of things. There is no financial risk to the Brazilian FA with regards to friendlies its all new business areas and them making money.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Why? Is it because it rewards the fans who are willing to commit to going to every game or is there some other reason? It's the very same as a season ticket.

The block booking has been open and advertised by the FAI for manys a year and only recently closed in the last 10 months due to over subscription.

Man most of the games I go to are against the small teams, for example twice against Cyprus.

Just out of curiosity is it hard to get tickets for meangingful matches? Like lets say the match against Bulgaria.

Yes. Same situation as this. The only tickets on public sale for that match would be those that the Bulgarian FA failed to sell. Well unless it isn't actually that meaningful and we've no chance of qualifying by the time we play them.

Ah alright. Here, what is the best part of Croke Park for atmosphere, and do I have to be part of the supporters club to have a good chance of getting tickets?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I doubt there'll be any for public sale, only those that the Brazilians don't take. Brazil tickets sold in a package with Serbia.

Cool cool. Mate is on the list but has not heard anything from the FAI yet so was just wondering.

Cool cool. Mate is on the list but has not heard anything from the FAI yet so was just wondering.
    He should have got his invoice a week or 2 ago. It has to be in by next Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I've been on the list for 4 years and when we switched to Croker, I was invited and have tickets since. I'm fairly worried that once we swap back to the new stadium, I'll still be too far down the list to get tickets, especially since I'm not willing to get the 10 year crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

plazzTT wrote: »
    Are those Italy and Argentina games still on?

The Examiner today says our three friendlies announced are Brazil in February, Serbia in May, and Norway in August.

(sorry for the bump, btw) :D

Eh, we have Italy in our qualifying group;)

PHB wrote: »
    I've been on the list for 4 years and when we switched to Croker, I was invited and have tickets since. I'm fairly worried that once we swap back to the new stadium, I'll still be too far down the list to get tickets, especially since I'm not willing to get the 10 year crap.
    If you've been on the list for 4 years I imagine your waiting list number is approx 1,500 or lower? In this case i wouldn't be concerned.

Man most of the games I go to are against the small teams, for example twice against Cyprus.
    Why aren't you signed up to the block booking so?

I can't see how anyone who attends matches wouldn't be signed up to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

As far as I remember they brought most of their stars to the last friendly a few years ago at Lansdowne. I was at the game, don't remember exactly who was there but think Kaka played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,082 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ziggy wrote: »

Agreed. These games, as much as they are entertainment, and its great to play the best at home, don't relly teach us much.

What we really really need are games like away to Sweden, Switzerland, Poland, Austria and the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

The Brazil team Lansdowne in 2004 was
    Dida, Cafu, Lucio, Roque Junior, Carlos, Kleberson (Julio Baptista 45), Ronaldinho, Silva (Edmilson 14), Kaka, Ze Roberto, Ronaldo.
    Subs Not Used: Marcos, Belletti, Juan, Junior, Rochemback, Juninho Paulista, Fabiano, Adriano.
    It was a bloody cold night if memory serves.

I was in Wales that night, watching Scotland being destroyed by Bellamy, Earnshaw and co.

I remember Duff mania going into over-drive that night.

• Advertisement

I don't think Duff played. You're probably thinking of Portugal. The Duff v Ronaldo show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The away issue is not something the FAI care about, it's more something a manager would care about, and since we don't have one, there's nobody to complain.

Away friendlies in the last 10 years (not including neutral venues):

Denmark 0-4 Ireland
    Netherlands 0-1 Ireland
    Poland 0-0 Ireland
    Scotland 0-2 Ireland
    Greece 0-0 Ireland
    Finland 0-3 Ireland
    USA 1-1 Ireland
    Czech Republic 2-1 Ireland

The Czech match was '98. Those results don't seem to do us much good when it comes to the real thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I disagree with people who feel these friendlies aren't the proper choice of match to bring to Dublin to prep for a qualifying campaign.

Now by that I agree with the latter part "to Dublin to prep for a qualifying campaign". No question there! I just disagree with "aren't the proper choice of match". I think they are the perfect choice. We haven't an arse's chance of getting to a finals anytime in the next 4 years so we might as well bring a bit of glamour to Dublin to make up for it.

Pigman II wrote: »
    We haven't an arse's chance of getting to a finals anytime in the next 4 years so we might as well bring a bit of glamour to Dublin to make up for it.
    That'd be a shame considering we've our best squad of players in probably over a decade. Well player for player. We don't have Roy Keane now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

That'd be a shame considering we've our best squad of players in probably over a decade. Well player for player. We don't have Roy Keane now.

We had a better team under Eoin Hand than we do now and it was even easier to qualify for stuff back then than it is now, yet we never qualified! Simply having a selection of players doesn't mean a thing esp when it's these players we're talking about.

I was watching that Newcastle game today and I've come to the conclusion that we're the Newcastle of International football. A squad full of big name chancers who look good on paper, but unfortunately football is played on grass.

So it's not the lack of talent we're talking about? If it's pride, will to win, determination, etc, etc, etc. then I couldn't disagree more tbh. Robbie Keane and Damien Duff are absolute workhorses for Ireland and they're the 2 most criticised players we have for supposedly lacking effort. It's a complete myth if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

So it's not the lack of talent we're talking about? If it's pride, will to win, determination, etc, etc, etc. then I couldn't disagree more tbh. Robbie Keane and Damien Duff are absolute workhorses for Ireland and they're the 2 most criticised players we have for supposedly lacking effort. It's a complete myth if you ask me.

I don't think Duff is really ever heavily criticised but Keane..rightly so IMO. That's from having been at both the Germany and Wales games and watching him fall over a number of times attempting step overs. Contrast that to his form at Spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

I would imagine that his number of failed stepovers is of a similar ratio at Spurs , Just that his goalscoring record there has been better than that of his Ireland record under Staunton

• Advertisement
Advertisement