Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Morning chaos

Options
  • 08-11-2007 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭

At what stage do you reckon it will be impossible to take the car to work? Ive started cycling to work and the amount of stressed out impatient motorists I pass is very high. Nobody will give anyone an inch and everyone is more important than everyone else, when will it all stop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

when will it all stop?

On Judgement Day!!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

aah.... I'm so glad I got out of the Dublin rat race, where once i had a 4 mile 50min stress filled drive to work, now I have a bliss filled 15mile 20min drive :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

keefg wrote: »
    On Judgement Day!!! :eek:

Judgement Day was 2:14 am on August 29 1997, long gone ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Not working in Dublin ftw!

My trip to work is about 12 miles in very light traffic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

siralfalot wrote: »
    aah.... I'm so glad I got out of the Dublin rat race, where once i had a 4 mile 50min stress filled drive to work, now I have a bliss filled 15mile 20min drive :D

4 miles in 50 minutes? Christ, I couldn't hack that on a regular basis at all! Sure a brisk walk would get you there in the same time!! And it'll be way better for you and a lot less stressful...

I've only ever gone against the main flow of traffic to work, leaving Dublin for Wicklow in the morning. Most of the time the opposite side of the N11 is packed, and I just can't help wondering how anyone can take that, day in day out, without going mad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Move out West. I live in Galway city and commute 10 miles outside the city (20 mins morning and evening) with pleasant views of Galway bay, the Aran Islands and the Burren ;)

Ok sorry for being smug, I know that doesn't help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Yep, I lived in Dublin a year ago and did that horrible drive on the m50 into and out of work (Citywest). It gets worse and worse every year, but the sad fact is that the only way alot of people like me can get to work is in a car, because the public transport in Dublin is piss poor, unless you live near a Dart line and work in the city center.

I live in London now and its just as bad here. I used to get the tube to work (20 mins door to door) but now I cycle, and I think it has to be the best way I have ever travelled to work. Its the most stress free, least expesive way to get to work, and for those of you who live close to your job (~7km like me), you should definitely consider a bike, or if not, a scooter or motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

At what stage do you reckon it will be impossible to take the car to work? , when will it all stop?

When they bring in a €10 congestion charge :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Snarler

cornbb wrote: »
    Move out West. I live in Galway city and commute 10 miles outside the city (20 mins morning and evening) with pleasant views of Galway bay, the Aran Islands and the Burren ;)

Ok sorry for being smug, I know that doesn't help.
    I've a handy drive in Galway city but plenty don't like those that do your journey in reverse. Pound for pound the traffic in Galway is far worse than in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

At what stage do you reckon it will be impossible to take the car to work?

I reckon that this will happen in Dublin from around 1999/2000 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I used to hate commuting

But then I went and bought a fancy pants land boat of a car :D

Now I just sit back in its climate controlled cabin and slowly putter my way home as its just a pleasure to be in.

My advice is buy yourself a big comfy barge and turn your commute into the most relaxing time of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,306 ✭✭✭markpb

Tails142 wrote: »
    My advice is buy yourself a big comfy barge and turn your commute into the most of the day.

Fixed that typo for you there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Thankfully I dont work in the city, but recently I had to pick up my car from near Christchurch. It took me 55mins to get to Kilmanham at 5pm. I had the engine off for a while, due to stoppages >3 mins. What a joke. I have cycled from UCI, Coolock to Tallaght on the mountain bike in an hour. I bet Id be quicker than a car at 8am without even trying.

Theres a 1 sentence solution to all this traffic nonsense - its just not easy to achieve. Remove the incentive to go into the city for people. Promote the movement the jobs and housing away from Dublin. 3 laned M50's and port tunnels really are only band aids. I hear rumours of an Ikea getting built beside the M50 in Ballymun. Briliant, more cramming to come. Dublin is just one big heaving bottle neck 2 times a day. Even the weekends can be a pain in the arse. Saturday 2pm a few weeks ago, traffic on the m50 backed up to Finglas southbound doing 5 mph.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Well, if the under-achieving, overpaid, smug, lardy-arsed clowns called our political masters got the collective finger out over the last 10 years when we DID have some money to spend, and had built decent infrastructure AND provided broadband to all, then a lot of us would have better options for getting to ou rworkplace, and many thousands could work part-time or full-
    time from home !

But then again, hey, that would have required planning, vision, foresight, leadership, execution etc. - all in very short supply under Bertie's tenure as head clown, so is it any wonder that instead we still have the shambolic excuse of a country that we've always had ??

Oh yes, and now the clowns are laughing openly at us whilst they make their way to their local bank to deposit their hefty salaries !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

jrar wrote: »
    Well, if the under-achieving, overpaid, smug, lardy-arsed clowns called our political masters got the collective finger out over the last 10 years when we DID have some money to spend, and had built decent infrastructure AND provided broadband to all, then a lot of us would have better options for getting to ou rworkplace, and many thousands could work part-time or full-
    time from home !

But then again, hey, that would have required planning, vision, foresight, leadership, execution etc. - all in very short supply under Bertie's tenure as head clown, so is it any wonder that instead we still have the shambolic excuse of a country that we've always had ??

Oh yes, and now the clowns are laughing openly at us whilst they make their way to their local bank to deposit their hefty salaries !

The same clowns who keep getting voted back in by the general public who are constantly stuck in traffic.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mezcita wrote: »
    The same clowns who keep getting voted back in by the general public who are constantly stuck in traffic.

The same clowns whose party members own the car dealerships and the road building companies.
    er...
    Ah sure isn't Bertie worth it though?
    Every penny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

But realy, how many people who claim they need their car for work realy do?
    I pass rows of cars every morning and I'd say 75% have 1-2 people in them.
    Sorry but if you bring your car in the capital city at peak time then you get no sympathy from me.

I know the solution to the traffic crises in Dublin.
    Buy a motorbike or even a moped.
    Cheap, fast and very enjoyable. :cool:
    You'll never sit in traffic again

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

i drove into work in dublin city centre once. never again. took over an hour and a half to get to work.
    i dont even bother with the unreliable train anymore.
    got a bike and just fly by the traffic and into work in 40 mins. great for the health and fully refreshed by the time i start work.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

micmclo wrote: »
    I know the solution to the traffic crises in Dublin.
    Buy a motorbike or even a moped.
    Cheap, fast and very enjoyable. :cool:
    You'll never sit in traffic again
    You might sit in A&E though! :eek:

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Wah, I can cruise to work at 80mph, for 20 minutes non-stop.

• Advertisement

sc4rf4ce wrote: »
    i drove into work in dublin city centre once. never again. took over an hour and a half to get to work.
    i dont even bother with the unreliable train anymore.
    got a bike and just fly by the traffic and into work in 40 mins. great for the health and fully refreshed by the time i start work.

My problem with that would be sweating like a pig and the inevitable serious injury/death that happens to all long time cylcists.

Snarler wrote: »
    My problem with that would be sweating like a pig and the inevitable serious injury/death that happens to all long time cylcists.

I've been cycling around Dublin (Finglas to Santry, Santry to Kilbarrack, Coolock to Clontarf to now Coolock to Stephens Green) for seven years and the worst that's ever happened to me was a small ding with a jaywalking pedestrian. There's a balance between making progress and being cautious but it can be found - I can safely cover my current commute in 30 minutes or less without breaking the law. There's a common belief that cycling is dangerous but I honestly believe it's just a myth unless you have statistics to back up that statement?

markpb wrote: »
    I've been cycling around Dublin (Finglas to Santry, Santry to Kilbarrack, Coolock to Clontarf to now Coolock to Stephens Green) for seven years and the worst that's ever happened to me was a small ding with a jaywalking pedestrian. There's a balance between making progress and being cautious but it can be found - I can safely cover my current commute in 30 minutes or less without breaking the law. There's a common belief that cycling is dangerous but I honestly believe it's just a myth unless you have statistics to back up that statement?

No just anecdotal evidence and subjective reading of the news. What about the sweating part? Do you have a shower. BTW I'm actually into the idea of not driving to work but its just these sorts of issuses.

One of my offices has a shower. When I'm in the other I bring a towel and change of clothes (my office is extremely casual) so no problem there. Unless I want a workout, I don't cycle very hard and have the advantage that going to work is all downhill :D

Edit: If you're planning on cycling to work, I'd suggest practising at weekends first so you know the road layout, the junctions, timing of the lights, lane changes, etc - it will make life a lot easier when you do the same trip in traffic. Avoid right turns and HGVs if you can help it ;)

Advertisement