Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Cinema for Coonagh Cross or Parkway Valley

Options
  • 08-11-2007 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Just read in the Post that plans for a cinema in the new Coonagh Cross and the forthcoming Parkway valley have now been "shelved".

Apparently film distributors are not too keen on having more copies of new releases sent to limerick due to the cost of producing them.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::(:(:(:(:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

That sounds like a poor excuse!!!!??? So becase of the cost of making a copy of a film no more new cinemas will be opened in Limerick? Does that apply to the rest of the country? :rolleyes:

How much does it cost I wonder? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

When Storm opened, everyone though the Omniplex would be killed off. Both cinemas are doing fairly well (but I go at least once a week, and haven't been at a full screen for a long time). Would a third cinema dilute things even further?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

The plans for a cinema at parkway valley have been shelved for some time now. It was replaced by the ice rink/theatre. And 'Mulcair well drilling' the company behind coonagh cross have recently applied for changes to their planning permission, one change being ommition of the cinema

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭rok

fekks sake!!! Will have to start downloading movies illegally so instead :)
    Thought a cinema would do well at Coonagh Cross with the population northside of the city and our Clare neighbours - is there any decent cinema in Shannon/Ennis even?
    There was supposed to be a GYM going into the Coonagh Cross centre too, hope they dont scrap this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

No Cinema in Shannon, theres one in Ennis I think. Would be much easier drive to the omniplex than to Ennis lol!

• Advertisement

:) I meant that the Coonagh cinema would be also have been frequented by Clare people visiting a short spin away from Shannon or Ennis areas - since there are no decent cinemas there either.
    Pity there will be no cinema this side of town, can be impossible to make it across town after work for the earlier shows

Ah right. My bad lol

Indeed that is true. It will help when the new road is open. (Albeit 2 years away!!)

I know it is early days but I am not too impressed by Coonagh Cross so far. From the road it looks like a big cheap corrigated cattle shed. I remember the hype when it was announced first, flashy website .. looked nice... just hope it improves. some more pics here
    http://www.bwarchitects.co.za/project.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Ya I already said in another post does Limerick need a 3rd, basically we came up with that theres no need for one at the parkway valley centre as castletroy is already well served but coonagh cross could do with one as that side of the city has none.

As for production costs? thats a terrible excuse, were the 3rd biggest city in ireland and we only have 2 cinemas? small enough towns across the country have cinemas, our county of 180,000 only has 2. Tipperary has more!

Also wernt we supposed to be the 1st country in the world to introduce digital cinemas... 2 years on and all im seeing is the old projection rolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭5h4mr0(k

I thought that most modern cinemas we're going to be using film anymore and that they would all be downloading them in digital format!? It allows them to distribute the movies faster and gets rid of the duplication cost.

Of course this is Ireland and the connection speeds probably wouldn't be fast enough to download a HD quality movie for a cinema. I guess we'll have to wait another 10+ years for a cinema this side of the river.

There is a decent cinema in Ennis. It's the "Empire Movieplex"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭opelmanta

5h4mr0(k wrote: »

There is a decent cinema in Ennis. It's the "Empire Movieplex"

you better be talking sarcastically...my tv in my living room is bigger than some of the screens there and when it rains u can barely hear the movie!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A cinema in the north side of the city makes alot of sense. As someone else said it would also capture customers from Clare too. People coming from Clareview, Caherdavin, Ennis Road areas shouldn't have to drive across town to the Omiplex or Storm.

A cinema in the Parkway Valley doesn't make sense though, it is too close to the Storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Im pissed off big time at this cus i was looking
    forward to it. aaaaaaaaah yet again another let
    down for the northside.

Ah don't feel too bad you got the jetland... ahem

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

and it's not like we're in dire straits for a cinema. Storm and Omniplex are hardly bursting at the seems. And anyway...the majority of Limerick live on the southside so that's why the northside has less.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

What a let down.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

What a let down.:mad:

nah man, id say its down to the limited space in the north side..plenty houses alright

and it's not like we're in dire straits for a cinema. Storm and Omniplex are hardly bursting at the seems. And anyway...the majority of Limerick live on the southside so that's why the northside has less.

Ya its strange though, Limerick is an exception to the rest of the country it seems, we just don't like going to the cinema that much??? Though I go once a month at least. Places like cork city and galway city have a lot more than limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Mr E wrote: »
    When Storm opened, everyone though the Omniplex would be killed off. Both cinemas are doing fairly well (but I go at least once a week, and haven't been at a full screen for a long time). Would a third cinema dilute things even further?

Storm is the D4 of cinemas.

The omniplex is the tallaght.

At least with the storm you can go somewhere sans scumbags

Storm is WAAAAAAAY too expensive...........(for poor students like me anyway)..I've seen an equal amount of 'undesirable' people there also btw

• Advertisement

Never seen any problems at either, but did once see a few knackers acting like retards in the macdonalds beside storm once...

Is storm really all that more expensive than the onmiplex? I know the omniplex is €9 for a ticket, whats storm?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

There both rip offs ;)

a tenner to go see a film is a disgrace. Damn inflation and whatnot! *shakes fist*

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

1huge1 wrote: »
    Never seen any problems at either, but did once see a few knackers acting like retards in the macdonalds beside storm once...

Is storm really all that more expensive than the onmiplex? I know the omniplex is €9 for a ticket, whats storm?

Ticket prices are about the same, as are food prices.

The main difference between them, imho, is the quality of the seats etc. Storm is a much more comfortable cinema than the Omniplex, and has a much better kiosk sytem.

Ya I agree there both fairly rip off then, at least omniplex has a tesco beside it open 24hours so you can get some stuff there and just get the popcorn at the cinema...

Don't mention superquinn because its never open when im at storm (friday nights etc)

But I suppose if their expensive in contrast to the rest of the country competition would be great.
    Did anyone else know Ireland has the highest cinema attendance in europe?? yet were probably paying the highest aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 annmarie124

Im really anooyed at the scrapping of the cinema at coonagh cross. was really looking forward to having something at this side of the city cause i can see the building from my house and it would have been really handy and close by. now i still have to drive over to other side of town to see a film!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:really really:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Pelotudo

Also wernt we supposed to be the 1st country in the world to introduce digital cinemas... 2 years on and all im seeing is the old projection rolls.[/QUOTE]

I work as a projectionist and recently had to attend a projection seminar. One of the primary reasons why so many cinemas haven't gone digital is plain old simple cost. The cost of digital projectors (cinema size) is very high and many cinema owners don't see the point in investing in something that will cut their profit margins. Basically, it is easier, cheaper and quicker to get a celluloid print(or a pile of them) printed and delivered. Appparently, more films are being printed than ever before due to faster printing techniques in the big laboratories and the increasd the demand.
    Digital films involve a lot of different people.. techs,programmers,the people responsible for the codes that allow the film to be played for a number of days etc.. and not only that..the films are actually loaded onto a harddrive which is then delivered to the cinema.
    This is not just the case in Ireland. At the moment it is just easier and cheaper to use film prints. The cinema owners can spend their few quid (£500 or so) for a film with 6 reels and count the cash without the risk of forking out the prohibitive cost of the Digital projectors.
    It seems the only places that can afford to go digital are in high population centres (eg Dublin) where the money can be earned back.
    Celluloid's not dead yet!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Pelotudo

1huge1 wrote: »
    Ya I agree there both fairly rip off then, at least omniplex has a tesco beside it open 24hours so you can get some stuff there and just get the popcorn at the cinema...

Don't mention superquinn because its never open when im at storm (friday nights etc)

But I suppose if their expensive in contrast to the rest of the country competition would be great.
    Did anyone else know Ireland has the highest cinema attendance in europe?? yet were probably paying the highest aswell.

Superquinn is open til 23.00 on friday nights and ye're all right..its too expensive to go to the cinema thats why I am finding so hard to quit..I'll have to start paying.

Advertisement