Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Right -v- Left brain optical illusion [merged]

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I made a poll...

Edit: Also, i can make her spin either way at will, looks pretty cool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I can see both. But I was out late partying last night, so maybe my eyes are crossed?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

anti clockwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,961 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

was anticlockwise all along, and then suddenly seemed to switch. can switch it myself now as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Anti Clockwise for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭indough

I saw it move both ways in the first minute, it changed when I looked at the shadow for a second :confused:

Edit: It was clockwise at first though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Who cares... she's fit!! ;)

Oh... and clockwise for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Thank you for loggin in, BossArky
    I can make the figure go both ways but the shadow only goes one way (or at least that I can tell).
    The shadow goes both ways too.

For the first few revolutions she was going anti-clockwise, after that I could change it at will. Right now, she's swinging back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Blowfish wrote: »
    The shadow goes both ways too.

For the first few revolutions she was going anti-clockwise, after that I could change it at will.

Really? The shadow always goes anti clockwise for me, even if the woman is going clockwise.

what the..? where'd all the posts go?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    what the..? where'd all the posts go?!

The twilight zone.

d0-do-do-do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

It's a different thread methinks Rebel.

This is the third of its kind so far today, the first being posedted in the "Cool Links & Vids" Forum.

Alright..

boneless wrote: »
    Who cares... she's fit!! ;)

Oh... and clockwise for me...

Who's fit?

What are you all talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

She turns the opposite direction every time I click on the tab so different people will see different ones.

The shadow goes in whatever direction she's going in, it just looks like it's going a different way because of how it's projected.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

:confused:

Mear wrote:
    It's a different thread methinks Rebel.

This is the third of its kind so far today, the first being posedted in the "Cool Links & Vids" Forum.

Alright..

i had the thread open and was just refreshing it. and then all of a sudden most of the posts disappeared. Even see the views and votes on it, nearly 300views

some posts were moved to a thread in cool vids.

ah ha. including these it seems. that was prob more of a head **** then the OP! So confused, refreshing the same thread and having it transform around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

The Gnome wrote: »
    I can switch it between both. Instructions on how are out there somewhere.

I appear to be able to make it do both too...

X-Men 5!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, I saw this the other day.

Whether to explain it or not...

How about this:

Tip: Watch her feet closely...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Why can't people see that this is a pile bollocks?! It's a starts one way, then switches to the other after about 20 seconds?
    You are people thick?
    What it does determine, however, is how patient and intelligent people are...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Ok, maybe 30 seconds.

Those who have been fooled: take one step back from the internet...
    Read a book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Thank you for loggin in, BossArky
    Oriel wrote: »
    Why can't people see that this is a pile bollocks?! It's a starts one way, then switches to the other after about 20 seconds?
    You are people thick?
    :p

And no, it doesn't start one way and change, it's deliberately designed to be ambiguous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

Oriel wrote:
    Why can't people see that this is a pile bollocks?!

Only half bollocks actually.

Oriel wrote:
    It's a starts one way, then switches to the other after about 20 seconds?

No. It doesn't.

Oriel wrote:
    You are people thick?

Mmmm...irony

Oriel wrote:

It definitely has nothing to do with left or right brain personality types (if they even exist). It's am amazing illusion though. Although it tends to bring out arrogance unsupported by evidence in a few people.

oh and how it works in a little more detail is in a post here if you want to see how to control it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭gerky

It just depends on how your brain interprets it, different peoples brains work in slightly different ways

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Blowfish wrote: »
    :p

And no, it doesn't start one way and change, it's deliberately designed to be ambiguous.

Yes, it does. If it starts anti-clockwise, about 30 seconds later if you watch her feet, you can actually see that it changes. She moves from one foot to the other, and thus changes direction.

Maybe she only does it once, maybe it is possible to make the direction change just by concentrating, but the animation definitely changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

Faith wrote:
    Yes, it does.

[panto]Oh no it doesnt[/panto]

For a start not to mind that plenty of people (myself included) see it start clockwise, but it's just a gif image, you can dissassemble it and see every frame and see it contains both directions simultaenously, and see that it doesnt change.

Tbh you just staring at her feet just ends up switching the images in your perception and you see her switch direction then.

It's a very very clever illusion, but there's no trickery involved in that sense.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Faith wrote: »
    Yes, it does. If it starts anti-clockwise, about 30 seconds later if you watch her feet, you can actually see that it changes. She moves from one foot to the other, and thus changes direction.

Maybe she only does it once, maybe it is possible to make the direction change just by concentrating, but the animation definitely changes.

No it doesn't, I can make it switch direction every second if I want, and for some people it never changes. The image ust has the information of both rotations in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Yeah tbh it never changes for me, it's been anti-clockwise the whole time.
    *shrugs*

Advertisement