Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Right -v- Left brain optical illusion [merged]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

No it doesn't.
    Then how come it changes at *exactly* the same time every time? Doesn't matter if I'm looking at the screen or not for the most part of it.

You've been had...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oriel wrote: »
    Then how come it changes at *exactly* the same time every time? Doesn't matter if I'm looking at the screen or not for the most part of it.

You've been had...
    It doesn't for me, I can say in my mind, I want it to go clockwise and it does, and the other way around.

In the case where it changes at the same time for you, that is the amount of time it takes for your brain to view the simultaneous data and for your eyes
    to display it. Much like staring at one of the 'magic' pictures in a paper until you can see the picture.

Experiment: Get somebody else to look at it with you, it will change at different times, if at all, for the other person. They may even see it spinning in a different direction from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Thank you for loggin in, BossArky
    Oriel wrote: »

You've been had...
    You should disasemble the image as Hoolio has. It's a single revolution looped. In fact if you look hard enough while it's running normally, you can see a tiny glitch where the animation starts and finishes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

SuprSi wrote: »
    Check out the moving image on this page and see what way it spins for you. It started out counter-clockwise for me, then switched to clockwise. Now it seems to switch back and forth randomly! I have no idea how it works but it's pretty cool.

http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,22492511-5005375,00.html

I can see the figure go clockwise and anticlockwise.

However if you look carefully at the shadowing i think strictly you can only truly say she's going anticlockwise.
    It's very subtle (didn't notice it at first TBH).

The shadowing does not make sense when you observe her going clockwise.
    No matter where the light would be coming from the shadowing only makes sense if she's going anticlockwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Clockwise and the placement of the shadow proves it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

tech77 wrote: »
    The shadowing does not make sense when you observe her going clockwise.
    No matter where the light would be coming from the shadowing only makes sense if she's going anticlockwise.
    krazy_8s wrote: »
    Clockwise and the placement of the shadow proves it.
    I think this is evidence enough that the shadow definitely works both ways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Ok so here's the thing -
    http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0,21598,22492511-5005375,00.html?from=mostpop

Questions will be above -- I want answers and potential explanations... currently having debate with friends.

I would like to believe I am right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Anti-clockwise
    This is in the Pyschology forum, I think.

The dancer is going clockwise if you looking at her face and her upper body. I can't make it go anti-clockwise cause she isn't going anti-clockwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭LillyVanilli

Anti-clockwise
    I can only see clockwise too, and cant make her go anti-clockwise either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

That is freaky!! How on earth do they do that? I'm scared...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Ditto, Im not seeing how it could to anti-clockwise at all.

Also. Cartoon Boobies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭spadder

Anti-clockwise
    clockwise, no matter how long i look or what angle, clockwise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

Changing Direction...watch the shadown of her leg it goes left to right and then right to left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

:D
    skywalker wrote: »
    Ditto, Im not seeing how it could to anti-clockwise at all.

Also. Cartoon Boobies!

Cartoon Boobies !! Brilliant :D:D:D:D:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

If you focus on the text at the left, and then look back to her, she goes anti-clockwise.

Poor woman must be awful dizzy by now

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭moco

She was going anti clockwise when I looked at it yesterday but clockwise today!!

It kept changing for me yesterday but it's staying clockwise today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

It just depends on when you've finished reading the description of the image and start looking at the image as she changes direction after a while.

I saw it turning clockwise but I'm better at more stuff on the Left brain function list than the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

Anti-clockwise
    That was cool :D:):D

brim4brim wrote: »
    It just depends on when you've finished reading the description of the image and start looking at the image as she changes direction after a while.

No, she doesn't. It's an optical illusion and could be spinning both ways. It's not a trick where, after a while she changes direction. I can get her to change direction if i want. The easiest way to get her change from anti-clockwise (acw) to clock-wise (cw) is to scroll down so that you can only see her from the waist down.

When she's spinning cw, she's standing on her left leg and is doing the hokey-pokey with her right leg. The opposite is true when she's spinning acw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

There's another debate and thread on this in the Puzzles and Quiz forum, i can't even open it anymore, my heads wrecked with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Anti-clockwise
    You can see a nipple if you stare hard enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Malteaser!

Anti-clockwise
    I can only see her spinning clockwise, I've seen that before and I've never been able to see her go go-anti clockwise!!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Anti-clockwise
    Malteaser! wrote: »
    I can only see her spinning clockwise, I've seen that before and I've never been able to see her go go-anti clockwise!!

Ditto :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Anti-clockwise
    briantwin wrote: »
    Changing Direction...watch the shadown of her leg it goes left to right and then right to left.
    No it doesn't. :confused: It's going from right to left and hasn't changed. Maybe it's the shadow that's putting people off actually because I notice when I focus on that she appears to be spinning in all directions. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

I gave an explanation in the Psychology and Sci forums as to why I think she can only be going anticlockwise in REALITY, even though she can be PERCEIVED to go either anticlockwise or clockwise.
    Hence the illusion.

Basically if you look at her shadow it can only
    TRULY be said to be going anticlockwise:

If the figure is considered moving anticlockwise: then her raised left leg is pointing away from us when shadow is correspondingly distant (in-picture).

And when her raised left leg is pointing to us shadow is near (shadow moves out of picture)

This is congruous shadowing.

Whereas if the figure is to be considered moving clockwise with right leg raised shadowing is incongruous.

So the congruous shadowing only applies if she's viewed moving anticlockwise therefore she only TRULY moves ANTICLOCKWISE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

hehe ...that's weird :D

Looking at the dancer only, she's going clockwise.
    But if I read the text next to the image, she changes direction to anti-clockwise. As soon as I focus onto the picture again, it's back to clockwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There has been a few threads about this one.
    For me she changes direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

i saw anticlockwise at first, then when i looked back it was clockwise.

that crafty minx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I can make her change direction by using the power of my brain o_0

Advertisement