Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Right -v- Left brain optical illusion [merged]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

she goes in whatever direction i want her to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭tech77

Lads can't ye see ye're falsely seeing her moving clockwise.

She actually moves anticlockwise.
    Take a closer look at the shadowing of her raised leg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

brim4brim wrote: »
    It just depends on when you've finished reading the description of the image and start looking at the image as she changes direction after a while.

I saw it turning clockwise but I'm better at more stuff on the Left brain function list than the right.

That about sums it up for me too....in any other test I've done I'm left hemisphere dominant. All I'm seeing here is CW and I can't change direction...I can't even see how the dancer's stance could support an ACW spin...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Fwaggle

She changes direction
    cance wrote: »
    i saw anticlockwise at first, then when i looked back it was clockwise.

Yeah same here - when I look at it at first it's anti-clockwise but if I look away and back again it's clockwise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Anti-clockwise
    getting really annoyed now:mad:..tried every thing..looked away, looked from waist down..only clockwise!! nothing else! i feel useless weep!

• Advertisement

themadchef wrote: »
    getting really annoyed now:mad:..tried every thing..looked away, looked from waist down..only clockwise!! nothing else! i feel useless weep!

If you focus on the shadowing of her legs you should see her turn anticlockwise.
    If you look at the whole picture you'll probably see her go clockwise as well.

She can only truly be moving anticlockwise as i can't conceive of any surface underneath her that would produce that shadowing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Thank you for loggin in, BossArky
    Here's how I get her to change direction:

anticlockwise - block the picture except for the upper left hand side and focus on her outstreched arm -or- whatch her shadow.
    clockwise - block the picture except for the upper right hand side and focus on the hanging arm.

It appeared clockwise to me first but now its mostly anticlockwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

What's the point in hiding parts of pictures or squinting or standing on your head?
    The perception test is all about the whole picture and what the mind's eye picks up most on in that picture...no matter how long I look, the dancer's right leg is always going to pass in front of her left hip, therefore she is always moving clockwise (to my perception)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

She changes direction
    Look at the shadow, it has nothing to do with left or right brain function.
    Left/right brain function applies to creativity Vs logic, not a spinning nude woman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

I only see anti-clockwise... must wake right side of brain up...

ah, now she's spinning the other way... wonder could I get her to stop if the 2 sides of my brain started working together... hmmm...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Outer Bongolia

0,,5675247,00.gif

Can't do it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Anti-clockwise
    Clockwise and only clockwise for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

Anti-clockwise
    clockwise!this is actually wrecking my head whats the story i cant see anything else!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,763 ✭✭✭✭looksee

you can get her going side to side as well - but mostly she goes round in circles in either direction. Dont get all that stuff about the congruous shadow, but she does seem to prefer go anticlockwise if you just look at the shadow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

Anti-clockwise
    woohoo i solved it!haha!i just focused on the right hand side of the page and she moved after a few seconds...

looksee wrote: »
    you can get her going side to side as well - but mostly she goes round in circles in either direction. Dont get all that stuff about the congruous shadow, but she does seem to prefer go anticlockwise if you just look at the shadow

Anticlockwise means raised left leg.
    When raised left leg points away from us there is a corresponding shadow in-picture.
    When raised left leg points towards us its shadow moves out of picture.
    This makes sense-
    ie distant raised left leg gives distant (in-picture) shadow.
    near raised left leg would give near (out-of-picture) shadow.

Clockwise means raised right leg.
    When raised right leg points away from us its shadow is absent.
    When raised right leg points towards us its shadow curiously reappears.
    This does not make sense.
    ie distant raised right leg gives no shadow.
    near raised right leg gives a shadow.
    Why would you not see a distant shadow yet see a near shadow of her raised leg?
    You wouldn't.

So the first scenario (anticlockwise) is TRUE.

Of note all the above applies to a flat surface on which she certainly does appear to be standing.
    However even with a non-flat surface (some crazy curve down away from us) it also seems to apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭pyure

always starts clockwise, but it changes back and forth if i look at it long enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Anti-clockwise
    tech77 - Here's a screenshot without the shadow (which I think they put in to confuse us)

82ivbxe.jpg

I'm not sure about everyone else but it's pretty clear to me that she is facing front ways in that screenshot. If that's the case it's obviously her right leg that is raised. Do you not think she's facing towards us in that shot?

eirebhoy wrote: »
    tech77 - Here's a screenshot without the shadow (which I think they put in to confuse us)

82ivbxe.jpg

I'm not sure about everyone else but it's pretty clear to me that she is facing front ways in that screenshot. If that's the case it's obviously her right leg that is raised. Do you not think she's facing towards us in that shot?

No.
    Here she can be legitimately seen to be facing toward us (with right leg raised) or away from us (with left leg raised).

They've ingeniously created the silhouette so that both views are possible.

However if you throw in the shadow underneath her, careful examination shows her movement should only be anticlockwise.
    (according to shadow movement).

You can still see her "falsely" moving clockwise if you don't pay too much attention to the shadow.

So maybe that's the premise for the test: maybe the "right" brain forces you to ignore the reality whereas the "left" brain would spot the incongruous shadow detail and see the true rotation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Anti-clockwise
    I finally realise that she could be facing away from us in that picture and now I simply can't figure out how I thought she was facing towards the screen. :eek: I still can't get her to go anti-clockwise though. :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

That's a load of arse. It's a video that reverses itself every now and then.

/sigh

NO IT DOESN'T.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

She changes direction

once you see her going one way its very hard to change her to the other way.. unless you stop thinking about it and then all of a shot she changes direction... wtf... ur brain switch's on!!! and you dont believe what u see... must be a vid.....

have a good look at it.... what ya do is restore your window to half size. then move the window off screen untill the half the dancer is on screen and the other half is off.... then ask which why is she going...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

at first her left leg is raised and left arm extended. then after a few seconds it switches and her right leg is raised and right arm is extended. i think....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Ninja_scrotum

/sigh

NO IT DOESN'T.

One minute, her left leg is raised, then the next minute when the video (not your brain) switches everything around, her right leg is raised.

So, is this a load of arse or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

Seaneh wrote: »
    As for me, colockwise at first but I can make it go either way.

me too, it was clockwise and i made it go anti clockwise, but i didnt like that so i made it go back again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,483 ✭✭✭✭Victor

tech77 wrote: »
    When raised left leg points away from us there is a corresponding shadow in-picture.
    What shadow? You mean below her? The light is below her, so that can't be a shadow.

tech77, you are wrong. You are allowing yourself read too much into the image. For all we know, we are seeing a silhouette of her as she is standing on a sloped glass floor with light from below. this will make your 'shadow' (actually probably a reflection) act it ways that you aren't appreciateing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭scargill

her direction changes for me. she is mostly spinning anti-clockwise but if I focus on her raised leg and imagine it's coming towards me when on the right hand side (or away from me when on the left) she changes direction ?

I'm also slightly suspicious that the gif is fixed - but it's probably that I've been looking at it too long !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Anti-clockwise
    To me this is very simple. I can see her spinning clockwise and anti-CW.

When her raised leg is spun around into our view, it give us the impression we are looking up at her from underneath, thus she is then turning ANTI CLOCKWISE.

When her leg then goes behind her it then gives us an impression we are higher, thus making her turn CLOCKWISE.

It would be like looking down at a screw being screwed into a floor, from above its CW and if you were under the floor looking up it would be turning anti-CW.

I'm either talking a load of ****e or making some sort of sense :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

pretty good. Just focus on either the left side to make her go one way and then focus on the other side and she'll switch directions

Advertisement