Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vostro 1700

• 08-11-2007 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭

Looking to replace my current Dell laptop which is overheating. The price of the system below is 1019 including VAT and delivery. Having looked at the 1720/1721 this comes out better because you get the upgrade for the video card (which I know is not exactly a great card but it is better than the stock card)

I mainly use for surfing, poker, ableton so no great gaming needs or anything. Have a desktop for that. The reason i would pick the Business edition of vista is that it comes a lot cleaner than the home edition in terms of installed software (i.e. less clutter).

Anyone have any thoughts? Better system for around a grand? I know you could get it a lot cheaper if you picked the 15 inch screen but I like/want the 17 inch screen.

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T7250 (2.00 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 800 MHz FSB)
    Microsoft Operating System Genuine Windows Vista® Business - English
    Memory 2048MB 667MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)
    Video Card 128MB nVidia® GeForce® 8400M GS
    Hard Drive 160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive
    Modem 56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter - Ireland/Spain
    Optical Devices Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive including Software
    Wireless Networking Intel® Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini-Card - Europe
    Standard Warranty Base Warranty - 1 Year Business Hardware Support
    *Primary Battery Primary 9-cell Lithium-Ion Battery (85 WHr)
    Colour Choice Matte Jet Black with 2.0 mega pixel camera
    **Online Backup Online Backup 3GB
    LCD 17.0" Widescreen WXGA+ (1440x900) TFT Display

* and ** Taking these two out i.e. 6 cell battery and no online backup reduces price by 50 euro.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Yeah that looks pretty good. If I were you I'd keep the 9 cell battery. You can never have too much battery life. I'd say get rid of the online back up, do you really need it? What warranty comes with that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Well I mainly use the laptop on the mains as I also use a network cable rather than wireless (mainly for pings) - so I might as well be on the mains if I am tied in anyway. I only added in the online backup for sport as it was only 20eur excluding VAT.

I actually have a NAS box with RAID for backup so I just wanted to see was the offering any good. Its expensive but theory is good. I.e a private, secure, shareable resource for up to 3Gb of documents. In theory I can publish my NAS to the internet for download via ftp but I need a static IP and that is not available via BT broadband.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

kmick wrote: »
    Well I mainly use the laptop on the mains as I also use a network cable rather than wireless (mainly for pings) - so I might as well be on the mains if I am tied in anyway.

No real point upgrading the battery so. I'm the same, I can't remember the last time I wasn't on mains with my laptop. I spent the extra money on the upgraded battery, hopefully I'll use it some day. :D

I only added in the online backup for sport as it was only 20eur excluding VAT.

I actually have a NAS box with RAID for backup so I just wanted to see was the offering any good. Its expensive but theory is good. I.e a private, secure, shareable resource for up to 3Gb of documents. In theory I can publish my NAS to the internet for download via ftp but I need a static IP and that is not available via BT broadband.

Is the price for that monthly or is it a once off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

On the battery, won't a 9 cell stick out the back of the 1700 like it does for the 1400 & 1500s??

dulpit wrote: »
    On the battery, won't a 9 cell stick out the back of the 1700 like it does for the 1400 & 1500s??

It doesn't stick out on my inspiron 9400 which is a 17". I presume they leave more space for the battery in the 17" laptops.

• Advertisement

Yeah the battery does stick stick out. Never read the fine print on the online backup I assume it is annual but I could be wrong.

Yeah the battery does stick stick out.

Are you sure? I know it sticks out on the smaller laptops but it doesn't stick out on my 9400 so I can't see why it would stick out on the 1700. They are both 17" laptops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Are you sure? I know it sticks out on the smaller laptops but it doesn't stick out on my 9400 so I can't see why it would stick out on the 1700. They are both 17" laptops.

bear in mind that the 1700 / inspiron 1720 have 2 hardisk bays..which would leave less room for a large battery slot.. not sure if the 9400 does? Ive seen review pics and the 9cell definetly sticks out..

By the way op you should keep an eye on http://stores.ebay.ie/Dell-Outlet
    .. I managed to get an inspiron 1720 with the following specs for 850 a few days ago..

Base:Inspiron 1720 CORE 2 DUO T7300 2.00GHz,800,4M
    DVD Drive:Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive
    Hard Disk Drive:Hard Drive 250GB Serial ATA (5400RPM)
    MISC:Alpine White Col with Gloss Finish & 2.0mp camera
    MISC:Primary 6-cell 56WHr Li-Ion Battery
    MISC:90W AC Adapter
    Memory: 2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)
    Modem: Internal V.92 Modem Adapter IRL,SPN
    NoteBook Screen:17.0 UltraShar Widescreen WUXGA (1920x1200) TFT
    Video:256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
    Operating System:English - Vista Home Premium

ab_cork wrote: »
    bear in mind that the 1700 / inspiron 1720 have 2 hardisk bays..which would leave less room for a large battery slot.. not sure if the 9400 does? Ive seen review pics and the 9cell definetly sticks out..

Hmm, that could be it.
    ab_cork wrote: »
    By the way op you should keep an eye on http://stores.ebay.ie/Dell-Outlet
    .. I managed to get an inspiron 1720 with the following specs for 850 a few days ago..

Base:Inspiron 1720 CORE 2 DUO T7300 2.00GHz,800,4M
    DVD Drive:Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW Drive
    Hard Disk Drive:Hard Drive 250GB Serial ATA (5400RPM)
    MISC:Alpine White Col with Gloss Finish & 2.0mp camera
    MISC:Primary 6-cell 56WHr Li-Ion Battery
    MISC:90W AC Adapter
    Memory: 2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)
    Modem: Internal V.92 Modem Adapter IRL,SPN
    NoteBook Screen:17.0 UltraShar Widescreen WUXGA (1920x1200) TFT
    Video:256 MB NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
    Operating System:English - Vista Home Premium

That's really good. You also might want to check dell outlet. There are some great bargains on there too.

I did check out Dell outlet but anything with 2.0Ghz/2048/128 or 256 Video Card was well over a grand and it comes with Vista Home Premium. I would like to get the Business installation for the networking and for the lack of junk software installed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Looking to replace my current Dell laptop which is overheating. ....

Have you tried fixing this? Blowing the dust out of it with compressed air and even reseating/repasting the CPU?
    i would pick the Business edition of vista is that it comes a lot cleaner than the home edition in terms of installed software (i.e. less clutter)....

What clutter for example?

You can get the spec you are looking for under a 1k on the outlet. You just have to wait for the right one at the right price to come up.

No the machine has always run very hot. The vent is at the back and underneath the laptop which means it cannot vent efficently. It has damged the lcd screen and it keeps overhaeting the GPU. To be honest I got it for free as a work laptop two years ago so Im not too bothered about leaving it go.

Vista Business edition does not come with any Anti-Virus, Paint shop pro or any of that crap. Saves time on unisnstalling those unwanted products which are ll in startup and want to update themselves every day.

It'll come with mc affee.

Advertisement