Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Onions!

• 08-11-2007 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

I bought my first big round onion (as opposed to scallops) in ages this week. I'd forgotten how good an onion is, raw or cooked.

All hail the onion.

Now, what to do with one.... :)

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

scallops? Do you meant shallots?

ETA: onion rings in beer batter FTW.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

MMmmm Scallops.

I love onions too. They don't love me though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Ohh - I haven't done this in a while, but cut it into rounds. Then cook it really slowly in pan/pot until it caramlises. Add pesto and mix it into pasta.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Shallots yes! :o Scallops no! :(

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

You can't beat a good onion.

I love them raw - in 1cm slices with a nice lump of steak, gravy made from the pan & a few slices of Mr Brennan's sliced white.

Each fork-full must contain chunk of onion, piece of steak & then bread that's been mopped in the gravy. Plenty of salt & white pepper - just for good measure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

French onion soup

Or simply roasted with garlic in the pan with yer Sunday chicken

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Peel it, cut a cross in the top, drizzle olive oil into it, wrap it in foil and roast it.

Yum.
    (You can pop it onto the BBQ like this too)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hill Billy wrote: »
    You can't beat a good onion.

I love them raw - in 1cm slices with a nice lump of steak, gravy made from the pan & a few slices of Mr Brennan's sliced white.

Each fork-full must contain chunk of onion, piece of steak & then bread that's been mopped in the gravy. Plenty of salt & white pepper - just for good measure.

Leave it out! Now I want a steak, but it's 10pm :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

oh finely sliced and cooked in butter till golden brown. to be eaten on its own or on steak or mashed into cheesey spuds.... mmmmmmmmmm

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Leave it out! Now I want a steak, but it's 10pm :(
    Just remember that it is always dinner time somewhere in the world. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I can't stand Onions, unless it's in creamy soup or in some dish chopped so fine I don't notice it. It's the texture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

red raw onion finely diced and sprinkle on top of curries....especially chick pea curries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Dice 1 med onion & abou 1 fresh tomato. Mix with a goodly pinch of salt.
    Finely chop 1 handful coriander & mix in to the onion/tomato/salt
    Add olive oil as desired, and allow to sit for about 1 hour in the fridge.

Fab as a side-dish for chilli, or as a dip, or just on bread.

That reminds me of a favourite sandwich of mine as a kid...

Diced onion, tomato & cucumber with pepper & vinegar between two slices of batch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can get tubs of dry fried onions in some aisian shops. I got pissed and at about 200g once, farting onions for 2 days solid after. Really nice taste though, like crisps/snacks, and I think only 5% fat.

onion bhajis- lovely and easy to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Oh and deep-fried onion rings...

My mam used to make a thick batter with flour, milk and spices (I must ask her what the ratios were), dip the onion rings in it and deep fry them. They were absolutely delicious. We would salt them very lightly, and have them with mayo or ketchup. Ah mother I love ya.

I have *got* to stop reading this forum.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

LOL @ neuro

I had a big spanish onion last night with a T-bone. I ate a lot of the onion raw while I was cooking. Twas lovely :-)

Advertisement