Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tester Limited To 25 Questions?

Options
  • 08-11-2007 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I have my test next Wednesday and have been pulling my hair out trying to cover every eventuality in the new ROTR book.

But, my tester gave me a list of 25 Questions and said they will ask you 4-5 of those - is this correct?

PS - she did not in any way say dont worry about ROTR but just to know the answers to those Q's.
    So I'm thinking, learn those 25 answers, know the signs, technical checks,

anything else you would recommend from experience?
    Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are only so many questions that can be asked about basic roadcraft, so the list your instructor gave you should cover most of them. I don't think the testers have a set list from which they're not allowed deviate. Most of the questions are based on legal requirements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

My instructor gave me a list of about 40 or 45 questions you could get asked, like
    'when to dip your lights' or 'who should you stop for if directed' and 'what does a continuous white line mean'
    so I'd just learn those. And the road symbols -- like the ones for clearway, the irish one for yield, railroad track crossing, contra flow bus lane, road narrowing, end of dual carriageway etc...

I just got asked a few of the above. And then obviously technical checks when we went out to the car.

Just look over the list etc and relax, the answers are somewhat common sense too.

Best of luck :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

They nearly always ask when should you dim your full lights
    there is about 6 or 7 instances so learn these
    (in built up areas, when following behind traffic, approaching traffic or pedestrians, in fog etc etc - see ROTR book)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭robo

A lot are basic common knowledge that you should have picked up whilst driving - issue would be how they may be worded!
    Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

When is it permitted overtake on the left?

When should dipped headlights be used?

Where is it illegal to park?

These are usually 'dead certs'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

when do you get this list of questions ? is this part of the actual driving test ? do the SGS centres do it ?

when do you get this list of questions ? is this part of the actual driving test ?
    It's what is usually referred to as the 'theory part' of the driving test. (Not to be confused with the Theory test).

(I'm open to correction on the exact procedure as it may have changed since I did my last test! ;))

Generally, the examiner will call you name in the waiting room. You follow him/her to their desk.

They ask to see your licence, and record the details and ask you to sign a disclaimer in relation to your vehicle.

The examiner will then ask three or four questions such as overtaking on the left or when to use dipped headlights or even that old classic 'what does an amber light mean' (and it's NOT prepare to stop ;)). He will then usually point to some signage on a laminated sheet and ask you to explain them - nothing too difficult.

He will then ask that you lead the way to your vehicle. He will check your tax/insurance/NCT discs and may check lights, indicators etc. I presume it is at this point that they request the candidate to do any technical checks.

Then it's off for a 20 minute drive and then then long walk back to the desk to find out your fate! :D
    do the SGS centres do it ?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

i always thought it was Stop for a solid amber light and go for a flashing one, please correct me now if im wrong ?

i always thought it was Stop for a solid amber light and go for a flashing one, please correct me now if im wrong ?
    An amber light means STOP (unless it's dangerous to do so).

It does NOT mean 'prepare to stop' which is the answer many give!

A flashing amber light - you may proceed only if it is safe to do so. You must wait until a pedestrian has left the roadway even if they are on the other side/lane.

A green light doesn't mean 'go'. It means that you may proceed if it is safe to do so. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

they don't actually count towards your result anyway, but it helps your confidence to get them right

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Caychadh

Well in the marking system 3 or more wrong answers is a grade 2 fault and since you're only allowed 9 overall it could make a difference.. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Caychadh

Also; well done on passing, lisbon_lions!! :D

Advertisement