Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Keyed BMW

Options
  • 08-11-2007 3:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

recently bought a BMW and somebody has just keyed it. The scratch runs from the petrol tank up to the drivers door (it is a coupe).

Any thoughts on how to remove it (it doesnt seem to be too deep)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

Man I had this happen to my own BMW coupe a few months back. Makes my blood absolutely boil. I know how you must feel.

Anyway buy some TCut from Halfords and apply it generously, follow the instructions (swirl the paste around the scratch, one bit at a time). It took me two or three applications of the paste but now the scratch is not noticeable unless you are scrutinising the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭babel

Thanks, I will pick some up this evening and give it a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

B4stards !

Use a fairly damp/wet cloth witht he T-Cut to avoid burning the paint. Try it on a small bit first.

You could bring it to a good bodyshop/valet company for advice they may be able to buff it out with a machine polisher !

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

I should be able to look after that for you if you're around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Make sure you get Metallic T cut if it's metallic paint.

I'd give carcraft a ring though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

If its not too deep you might get away with t-cut or one of tem compounds that match you colour.

If that don't work you can use a toothpick to carefullyfill in the scratch with touch up paint and then tcut and buff, I have seen it done, good result.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Too deep for a bit of Rubbing Compound ? Dont like risking T Cut if I can avoid it myself !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

If your fingernail catches in it, it will need paint. As mentioned above by EWJ use a toothpick to apply some touch up paint. A few really thin coats (built up) is best. Try not to overfill the scratch too much. You could blend in the repair after the paint has dried, with a light scratch remover like Mer/Farecla SR or Autoglym paint renovator using a very soft microfibre cloth - the suede/velvet type ones. T-Cut is crap so avoid using it. If your car is a darker colour I would be inclined to leave it to someone who knows what they are doing. You can easily put lesser micro-scratches into the surrounding area if not careful, which is far more noticeable on black or navy than say silver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

Why would someone do this, is it just jealously -

Same thing happen to myself recently - Just bought brand new corsa sxi and the first day I parked it in town some ***** decided to scratch the side of it, it was going back window down to the rear wheel - this was on the day I bought it! I would have loved to catch them doing it - would have got them nicked/charged the whole lot - thats if I didn't choke them b4 the guards arrived.

But in saying that - I believe in that karma thing - what goes round comes round - and hopefully the ***** will get a smack of a bus and get minced.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭babel

Thanks for the suggestions. I think the scratch is very superficial and cant really feel it if I run my finger over it.
    A "leading" BMW dealer wants to charge me €500 to repaint the entire panel!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

try looking up auto smart systems they are a mobile crowd that will look at it and tell if they can do it and should be cheaper then the bmw dealer

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

babel wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think the scratch is very superficial and cant really feel it if I run my finger over it.
    A "leading" BMW dealer wants to charge me €500 to repaint the entire panel!

If you can't feel it, then it will polish out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Jez Babel ...........Seperate has generously offered to look at it for you, I would take his professional advice above all else !

Good luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

OP - I would have Separate look at it first before anything else!

Advertisement