Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help sought

Options
  • 08-11-2007 3:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi all.

I have a small problem with wich I hope you guys can help me out.

I can get a job in Galway, but at the moment I am living in Ballina, co.Mayo. I am flatbroke thnx 2 a 'friend' who still has 2 pay up.

The problem I have is that I do need a place to stay untill at least my first paycheck arrives and I already found out that you have to pay b&b's up front.

If there is anyone who can and or will helpme and my wife out I be most thankfull.

Regards,

Dirk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Snarler

Pay with a credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Mr.Lolindir

Snarler wrote: »
    Pay with a credit card.

Then you need to have one first :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You could drive it, it's two weeks.
    Or ask the job to pay up front?

Then you need to have one first :confused:
    What sort of grown man doesn't have a credit card? Heres my advice then, bumble along in life like you are and look forward to many more years of financial insecurity.

biko wrote: »
    You could drive it, it's two weeks.
    Or ask the job to pay up front?

No license (yet) and they wont pay up front, already checked :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What sort of grown man doesn't have a credit card? Heres my advice then, bumble along in life like you are and look forward to many more years of financial insecurity.

What sort of ridiculous statment is that?!

So everyone should have a credit card? I don't have one and have zero debt to my name as a result. NOT being in debt is being grown up. Not the other way around.

And take it easy on the OP. No point in opening your mouth unless you have a worthwhile suggestion for him.

So everyone should have a credit card? I don't have one and have zero debt to my name as a result. NOT being in debt is being grown up. Not the other way around.
    I have one and I have zero debt as well. I also have 2 months of free credit every month so I'm never stuck if I get into a situation like the OP. I also have a driving licence.
    These are the sorts of thing a person needs to get by in life without having to resort to aksing strangers on the internet to sleep on their couch.

Harsh but true and this man needs a bit of truth.

Originally Posted by Snarler
    kraggy wrote: »
    What sort of ridiculous statment is that?!

And take it easy on the OP. No point in opening your mouth unless you have a worthwhile suggestion for him.

Not worth responding, but thnx anyway ;)

I have one and I have zero debt as well. I also have 2 months of free credit every month so I'm never stuck if I get into a situation like the OP. I also have a driving licence.
    These are the sorts of thing a person needs to get by in life without having to resort to aksing strangers on the internet to sleep on their couch.

Driving License maybe but saying "what sort of grown man doesn't have a credit card" is absolute nonsense.

Eassy to judge without knowing a situation......... anyway, if you don't have anything else to bring to my topic I rather have you to say nothing at all

• Advertisement

Driving License maybe but saying "what sort of grown man doesn't have a credit card" is absolute nonsense.
    Far from it. A credit card is essential to avoid the sort of short term cash flow problems that the OP is having. For travelling, relocating etc its very important.

You want help, here it is.

If it were me these are all the things I would do.

Stay in Hotel
    Drive from Mayo
    Sleep on friends couch
    Get a loan
    Get a loan from work

If you can't do any of those then you will jsut have to turn the job down.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Aura

Credit cards and driving licences do not an adult make nor does scoffing at a man in distress.

OP couch it if you can with some friends or stay in a hostel. Cheap and cheerful.

Best of luck.

A. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

NOT being in debt is being grown up.

:confused:
    Don't ever join the property ladder then,if you ask me your not living unless your in debt (within reason of course:D)

Tell your "friend" you NEED the money NOW!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

NOT being in debt is being grown up. Not the other way around.
    Actually it is the other way around, every single adult I know 25+ including myself has debts. It the way we roll baby :p

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Aura

Yes it is all too often a given at a certain stage in life but being debt-free is, without doubt, always preferable albeit not easily achieved in these modern times.

Its not about debt lads its just about managing your finances in a mature and responsible way. if you haven't done already go and get a Halifax credit card which will give you e100 cash for nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

padi89 wrote: »
    :confused:
    Don't ever join the property ladder then,if you ask me your not living unless your in debt (within reason of course:D)

that's just a daft statement. this thread is being polluted with crap.

OP do have a look around at the various credit card options. it's probably you're best bet, and the markets quite competitive anyway so you should be able to find somewhere that'll offer a few months low apr. just don't be a retard with it. personal debt isn't something to be afraid of if you can handle your finances ok. and it's not an absolute necessity like some here make out either...
    either that or look at getting an overdraught or personal loan, but frankly the CC would probably be cheaper in the short term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 934 ✭✭✭C-J

Are you guys completely naive?? This is a scam! He obviously wants people to 'feel sorry for him' and fork out money, Im in law enforcement believe me I know a chancer when I see one!!
    If money is really such a problem there are several organisations who have financial assistance funds for those in hardship, or a short term loan of like 4 or 5 hundred euro will be processed in less than a day!! A website forum really isnt the place for glorified begging and for one thing its illegal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

What sort of grown man doesn't have a credit card?

Me!
    I refuse to pay a €40 annual tax for the possession of a credit card

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    What sort of grown man doesn't have a credit card?

Me!
    I refuse to pay a €40 annual tax for the possession of a credit card

Thats nice. You must earn pittance for €40 to matter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I do earn, I earn very very little

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

that's just a daft statement. this thread is being polluted with crap.

Relax its only a bit of fun. A little OTT yeah, daft not really.I think it would be pretty hard to find any average adult that does not owe money in some form or another,its just down to how you view it at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I;d advise the sleepzone hostel.
    Nice enough place in a good location

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Leave your wife in Mayo and stay in a Hostel; even the one in Fair Green.
    Where ae you from originally. Surely somebody can help you out from wherever you are from; even the local priest.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Whore out your wife or yourself....at least ye will get a bed for a few hours and make some money

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

biko wrote: »
    Actually it is the other way around, every single adult I know 25+ including myself has debts. It the way we roll baby :p

True. Being in debt is a fact of life for many.

However, to purposely or carelessly place yourself in debt is not grown up. That's what i meant.

Having a credit card is a less effective way of managing your finances than say saving, or if plastic is needed to make on-the-spot purchases, then a debit card would suffice. It's certainly better than paying huge interest on a credit card.

Point is, it's absolute rubbish to question a person's character just because he doesn't have a credit card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 cmcd

Point is, it's absolute rubbish to question a person's character just because he doesn't have a credit card.

Your dead right. To get a possible taste of the persons character I much prefer to take the OP's boards username, skype name or whatever, and give it a good old run through google. Give it a whirl, you may be suprised what you may find. :eek: :eek:
    Dont forget to report back. :D

• Advertisement

cmcd wrote: »
    Your dead right. To get a possible taste of the persons character I much prefer to take the OP's boards username, skype name or whatever, and give it a good old run through google. Give it a whirl, you may be suprised what you may find. :eek: :eek:
    Dont forget to report back. :D

Hahahhah!
    By Mr.Lolindir 3 Jan, 07:48 Type: Friendship Area: Cavan. Couple Seeking Female! we are a couple who are looking for a female for one nite of fun!

Then again, theres nothing really wrong with that. Why didnt you just mention that orginally and you might have had more offers.

Advertisement