Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving Mobile Phone reception

Options
  • 08-11-2007 3:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

I am living in an area of Meath which suffers from poor (vodafone) reception. I can get a reasonable signal at one or two windows in the house, but nothing in other parts.

I am wondering if there is a signal booster which could be placed in a central location in the house and provide a more acceptable signal to the mobiles?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Irenemh

Hi
    i'm wondering if you ever had any luck improving your mobile phone reception in your house? we have just moved into our house outside of enfield and both VF & O2 reception is non-existent inside.
    i'm trying to find solution.
    thanks
    I am living in an area of Meath which suffers from poor (vodafone) reception. I can get a reasonable signal at one or two windows in the house, but nothing in other parts.

I am wondering if there is a signal booster which could be placed in a central location in the house and provide a more acceptable signal to the mobiles?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Davey_Boy

I have a "carant" antenna which i used about 8 years ago

It had an adapter cable which plugged into the back of my nokia 6210 I think it was.

I'm sure a cable is all thats needed to bring this back into use with current phones. However I had a look on the Carant website and i dont see it there but It just goes to show that such things are in existance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Mobile phone signal boosters or repeaters are widely available on ebay either from UK sellers or from the far east such as Hong Kong.

I've never used one so I can't vouch for their performance. There may also be legal issues in using an unlicensed transmitter. (Although every mobile phone is a transmitter and I don't have a licence for mine!)

Looks like they will cost you about €120-€150 all in.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

Why not try 3, meteor or o2?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Davey_Boy

In my case its a company phone so cant easily change. Anyway I'm not sure the others are much better here going by visitors reception.

I think if going for a repeter you need to get permission before you use it. However if you are happy to have reliable reception in the office or on a given window cill where you can hook up to a cable then an antenna and an antenna adapter cable might do the job nicely.

I used the antenna before where there was no aparent reception and it boosted it to half or three quarter "bar".

Mine looks like a tv aerial but i have seen sexier ones on websites now. They have FME connections which are basically small RF connectors. You then get an adapter to suit your phone so it takes you from FME on one side to a connection to suit your phone on the other. Many phones dont have an antenna input as such now so they use a clip on or velcro adapters.

Should be no issue with this as you're effectively doing the same as whats in many car kits i.e. using the tax disc antenna.

In fact I am trying to dig out a cradle from an old car kit to use as an adapter as I think it had an FME input.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Walkman wrote: »
    Why not try 3, meteor or o2?

Where I am in meath the signal is terrible on ALL networks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

my brother bought this one and he said its very good.
    I have just placed an order for it myself. I'm Getting the MR PRO GSM900 Repeater Kit
    http://www.gsmboostersireland.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭JTMan

One options is to go with Vodafone and use their signal booster service:
    http://www.vodafone.ie/mobilephoneservices/suresignal/

That it is.

BUT that is assuming us people out in the sticks have broadband coming in on our phone lines.
    Been trying to get it for the past 2 years and eicom finally told me to stop calling as i was more than 4 km way from my closet eircom switch, it will NEVER happen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

I have just placed an order for it myself. I'm Getting the MR PRO GSM900 Repeater Kit

Id like one of these but im a bit wary of a website with just a mobile number.

I received my repeater yesterday in the post.
    I had to pay another €20 for import tax or something like that. Cause it came from Hong Knog.

It was late night night before i got home to install it so all i did was fire the antenna up on the shed out side and connected it to the repeater in the house.

And it works. Instead of having 0-1 bars i have 3-4 bars (5 been full) Im sure i will get it to give me full reception once i place the antenna in the correct place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

That website seems to be asleep:( . Nothing happens when yopu click on a heading:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭CricketDude

That website seems to be asleep:( . Nothing happens when yopu click on a heading:confused:

I think its well dodgy.

Badgerhowlin,
    Can you post a link to the one you got? Thanks.

Advertisement