Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scammers

Options
  • 08-11-2007 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭

got an email earlier:

Scammer wrote:
    Hi Liam Moran,

Kate Lambert [kate3lambert@yahoo.com] [+447024039975] made an enquiry on CarZone about your 2003 Alfa Romeo 156 2.4 JTD Sportivo 2.4 Diesel

Kate Lambert writes:
    Hello,
    Thanks for the advert, my Name is Kate Lambert, i will like to know if your 2003 Alfa Romeo is still available and i will like to know the giving price. my email address is kate3lambert@yahoo.com and my phone number is +447024039975, contact me if the ads is still available.
    Regards
    Kate

so smelling a large rat I replied:

Hi
    yes the car is still for sale, the asking price is approx €15,000 euro

Regards
    Liam

and just now I get.........
    Scammer wrote:
    Hi Good Day,
    Thanks so much for the mail, am really ok with the
    details i got from the web site and it’s really my
    taste.
    Pls I will want u to give me more details on the
    following.
    1) Shock absolver? 2) Engine? 3) Radiator? 4) Tires
    condition? 5) Has it got a full history? 6) Have you got
    old MOT’s? 7) How much tax and mot are left? 8) When is
    the next service due? 9) Has the cam belt been changed?
    10) Has it ever been crashed? 11) How long have you
    owned it? 13) How many miles has it done? 13) Is there
    anything at all wrong with it (please include anything
    even trivial things).
    Really just to let u know that as for the payment, I
    will be paying with a Certified Banker Draft/cheque drawn
    from a local bank in UK and as for the shipping i will
    handle that myself by contacting my international
    shipping agent to really handle that for me. Also can u
    help me send more pics of it if u can and if not u
    don’t need to worry yourself about that am ok with this
    one. As for the price i will want u to let me know the last price
    so that the payment can be sent. If u are ok with me
    then u can mail me back and let us conclude on
    everything today. Call +447024039975.
    Thanks so much...
    Regards...
    Garry and Kate Lambert

what you think? sells of monkey sized rats to me! :D:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Snarler

Go throught with it and let them send you out a bank draft. Give it in to the cops and let them fingerprint it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

lol @ shock absolver :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Oh they're using female names now... definately not a scam so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It is unusual that they're giving a phone number though. I'd nearly call out of curiosity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Anan1 wrote: »
    It is unusual that they're giving a phone number though. I'd nearly call out of curiosity.

Probably a premium rate number

• Advertisement

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Probably a premium rate number
    Maybe Kate's work number.;)

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

An 0702 number is one thats redirected from a mobile. Its 99.9% scam, but sure why not get the draft as a souvenier anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

Hmm, the scam here is that the bank draft will be fake/forgery/cancelled/stolen.

You will lodge it, the bank will tell you everything is AOK, the money is in your account. Boom, two weeks later the draft will turn out to be a dud and your bank will come looking to you for the money back.

The way to work this is to accept the bank draft but state that you will not release the car for 28 days??

I would also contact your bank if you're bothered, and see what the details are regarding this and how long you really have to wait to see if the draft is genuine.

This doesnt stink to me of completly being a scam; as when I buy in the UK I pay with bank draft on collection and dont expect to have to wait several weeks to collect - i.e. I'm not going to send some randomer doing a private sale a bank draft for a few grand, wait for it to be in his account and then go over to the UK to see if there really is a car in the condition he says...

On the other the words 'international shipping agent' do sound a bit dodgy, there are guys who will collect and deliver your car from the uk, but they're just that 'a guy who will collect the car for me', not 'international shipping agents'. :D

Also why would someone in the UK buy an over priced irish car?!?

Thread carefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Snarler

This doesnt stink to me of completly being a scam

You actually have doubts!!! It is 100% a scam.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The wording used sounds all wrong to me. Like someone unused to speaking English. And 'a local bank in UK' and 'international shipping agent' is all a bit vague. Dont go near unless its to wind them up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

The scam here is this

They will send you a bank draft, you logde it into your account; a few days later, they want there money back, but in the form of a money transfer.

Secondly, the use of a non ISP email address, certainly is putting off the level of English used is very questioning.

I would ask this person, to contact you threw there ISP e-mail address. If they cant do that then... You know something is odd, but there is something odd about this anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

The amount of fun you could have here is endless :D

email them back and tell them you will only accept Thai Bhat and that you want to know do they mind about the stains on the backseat...........oh oh and tell them you will only let them have the car if they meet you in person and they have to wear PINK :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

Just take the money and keep your car... ;)

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Tell them your incontinent grandmother used to drive it, and hence the car smells of wee and poo. Also mention that you haven't seen your old dog for a while, and there's a strange smell coming from the boot - possibly connected?

Fortunately the car was the victim of an arson attack last night, so the heat from the flames should have removed most of the smell.

Bet they still want the car! If they do, I think it may be a scam.

Also, if you get contacted by a company advising they have UK buyers for you car, trust me. They don't. Don't give them money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

100% scam. We go to UK to buy cars, so why the hack are they looking for cars in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭andreas_220D

Tell her you'd be happy to drive the car to the UK, that the ferry arrives very early in the morning and that she should pick up the car in the port.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Anybody from the UK interested in buying cars from Ireland is either,

a) Stupid
    b) Scammer
    c) Stupid Scammer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

let me know the last price = SCAM

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Senna wrote: »
    let me know the last price = SCAM

LOL. I dont think theres a question about it being a scam !

OP. Send the email to the Met Police, I'm sure they will be only too delighted to have a chat with the "buyer".

http://www.met.police.uk/fraudalert/contact.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭stewie01

get them to send a deposit of a grand to you through western union to hold the car until its shipped and or the draft arrives. then give me the grand to keep safe

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Thats probably the equivalent of a ready to go mobile. Untraceable and disposable. Play along and let them think you have fell for it. For ideas check out 419 eater. Its a site to wind up the scammers.

Have some fun at their expense.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Well known scam!! They give you the bank draft, you give them the car, go to deposit the bank draft, and its invalid! You're down a car! Its happened to me before, but not on a car! Plus I was aware of what was going on, so wasnt caught out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭freewing

They tried this on me recently and after looking into it here and on a couple of other sites I can tell you people in the UK generally wouldn't be interested in an Irish car but heres how it might go.
    They'll make contact again looking for your best price.
    On agreement they offer send you a bank draft but its for more than you agreed and could you please send them back the balance but keep a small fee for your trouble
    so the draft is a fake and your out a lump of your hard earned ( bastads0
    However now you know you can have lots of fun with delay tactics.
    They seem to do the rounds evry couple of months
    sock it to em.
    E

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

I got one of these emails lately. I knew it was a scam straight away. He asked alot of questions about information that was already in the ad. Basic stuff like the age of car, mileage, reason for selling and bottom price.
    I replied, BUT lied to each answer.
    Age of Car: 10 years old. (the car was a 00 reg)
    Mileage told him it was clocked at 32000, but i could put whatever mileage he wanted.
    Reason for selling? the timing belt broke and the car was useless.
    Bottom price? I doubled the advertised price

And believe it or not, he was delighted to send me a draft :D

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Send them a car from the breakers yard

macshadow wrote: »
    Send them a car from the breakers yard
    It's the money they're after, the 'shipping agent' will never appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Just in case anyone had any niggling doubts whether it's a scam or not - a collegue in work has just recieved the exact same (Shock Absolver) e-mail from Kate.

He'll see if he can waste some of their time by messing boyo around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 447 ✭✭siralfalot

yeah, i messed them around for a while yesterday before I got tired of it and told them to f off, I'm kinda thinking of re-routing all my spam mail to their address :p

Advertisement