Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The state of high-end video cards

Options
  • 08-11-2007 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭

As of end October 2007:
    • 8800 Ultra > 8800 GTX >= 8800GT > 8800GTS 640mb >=* 8800GTS 320mb
    • nVidia have ATi beat. Simple as.
    • If you're wanting to buy a new high-end card -- buy an 8800GT. Or 2. Or 3 even, if you can support something riduculous like that :D
    • Vista slows your games down. Enabling DirectX10 mode slows your game down even further.
      Stick to XP for now (or FOREVER!)
    • Stop buying PSUs with 600W+ ratings unless you're building an overclocking rig -- the efficiency of your 400W-system will suffer.
    [/rant]

Sorry, just felt like posting this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

/me pats k.o.kiki

Its okay, i feel your pain. I dont understand why half the people here end up buying huge rated psu's. A 620w psu is more then enough for even my pc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

i dunno why im posting this here, (i guess its cause u said 640>=320*), if u say stick to xp, are they both gonna be pretty much the same?...vram only really comes in when in dx10. the only real factor is the clock speeds??...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

i dunno why im posting this here, (i guess its cause u said 640>=320*), if u say stick to xp, are they both gonna be pretty much the same?...vram only really comes in when in dx10. the only real factor is the clock speeds??...

What could make you think video memory doesn't matter in XP?? :confused:

Of course it does, in the same fashion it does in Vista. Larger textures need more video memory. In fact, Ghost Recon 2 won't even run on 'high' textures unless you have at least a 512mb card. OS/ Dx9 vs 10 has nothing to do with this.

I plan going for the Gt before Christmas. The 2900Pro seemed promising for a very brief time but now it's completely redundant again...Terrible generation for Ati this time around! The only 'good' cards are in the low end bracket (in terms of performance for money, the Mobility are OK as well), but despite that I don't even see any in OEM Pc's, it's all Nvidia this season...

Also I'm pretty disappointed with Dx10, after all the promises of being a more efficient way of rendering the same quality it's exactly the opposite... :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Silenceisbliss

oh....(sorry for n00bishness), i nevr really knew wat memory was actually for, taut....well....i wasnt thinkin...thanks anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    As of end October 2007:
    • 8800 Ultra > 8800 GTX >= 8800GT ≥ 2900xt ≥ 8800GTS 640mb >=* 8800GTS 320mb
    • nVidia have ATi beat. Simple as.
    • If you're wanting to buy a new high-end card -- wait . the gt isn't the b all and end all, new gpus are comming with the g92 core and a 512 bit bus
    • Vista drivers arent yet up to scratch your games
      will take a hit down. Enabling DirectX10 mode may result in improved frames or less frames , my 2900 gets a boost in bioshock as in crysis with dx10 over dx9
      Stick to XP for now (if you hate trying new things and dont want improved security , networking , user interface..!)
    • Stop buying PSUs with 600W+ ratings unless you're building an overclocking rig -- buy a psu with good efficiency 1000w psu can have better efficiency than 400w psu's ,
    [/rant]

Sorry, fixed :D.
    :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

papu wrote: »
    :D

a new g92 gts will be comming out with 124 pipelines while the gt has 112.

all the new 9*** sereris has been named as D8* (d8e for entusaist aka the 9900gtx/gts)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

I just wish they wpuldnt make those gfx cards so damn long. Really don't wannt get the ol saw out to saw off 1-2cm off my hd bay just so the things will fit :p

Advertisement