Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insisting on direct debit mandate when renting rooms best policy?

Options
  • 08-11-2007 4:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭

I've been renting rooms in my house for the past 18months and i've got to the stage now where i'm fed up of people not paying on time. Next time I have to advertise on daft, I'm putting a 'direct debit mandate required (no exceptions!!)' line in the ad.

Do others have similar experiences. I think having to ask people to pay when they simply know is insulting. In all my years of renting, I don't think I was ever asked for rent. I assumed this was the norm!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

everywhere i've rented has insisted on direct debit...can't see people having problems with it and if they do don't let to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would see nothing wrong with requiring tenants to pay by such means (as long as it was made clear at the start).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Absolutely nothing wrong with that, works smoother for both landlord and tenant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

Well, looks like she was just stalling to eat into the deposit - moving out on Monday - shes only been here 3 bloody weeks. I don't mind the moving out but dont waste my bloody time by moving in in the first place.

God help the next 'un is all i can say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

Some landlords don't want anyone to know they're making money though - mine insists on cash only. No bank transfers and definately no cheques.

I don't think a DD is unreasonable though, and it takes the hassle out of it for both of you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

ellscurr wrote: »
    Some landlords don't want anyone to know they're making money though - mine insists on cash only. No bank transfers and definately no cheques.

I don't think a DD is unreasonable though, and it takes the hassle out of it for both of you.

That could bite you in the ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Snarler

I've had this in the past. I just nod and agree and then pay by bank transfer on time every month. No way would I trust a landlord to cancel a direct debit properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 318 ✭✭uoluol

When I was letting a room in my house, I too insisted on direct debit payment. Stopped all the hassle of being left waiting for rent. Very easy to set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,789 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Surely you are talking about a standing order, rather than a direct debit?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Persius

Direct debit sounds totally unreasonable to me. This is used for things like mobile phone, or ESB, bills where the amount differs each month, as it allows the recipient to debit as much as he wants from the persons account.
    I'd never give a landlord the freedom to do that.

A standing order on the other hand. That's perfectly reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

I think having to ask people to pay when they simply know is insulting.

It is insulting if somebody is very late & says to you 'Oh! I forgot sorry' - forgot what? what day it is? you can understand how you'd be 2/3 days late or whatever but beyond that i dunno:rolleyes: (except where the tenant is genuine and tells you..) if you don't set up a standing order you will almost certainly get stalling. Like 'oh i lost my bankcard' - No you didn't!

It's a good indication of a tenant - if they're really prepared to pay on time they won't mind. If they have a problem with it it could be a bad sign...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭baguio

So to setup a standing order, I just use a standard form from my bank right? ....and I can just get them to sign it before keys or anything are handed over - and that will be it sorted?

Aslo, for those of you renting out rooms, do you insist on a minimum notice period and if so, how many weeks?
    Do you insist on a minimum duration ie. 6 months? Thats whats p issed me off in this case. She never really wanted to move in (and share with a guys) - and just used my place as a temporary landing zone...... but from my point of view, she wasted my bloody time as I could have found someone more suitable over the last three weeks.

I don't want revolving doors in the house. Would much prefer people that stay for 1 year - its unsettling if theres comings and goings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭radioactiveman

Hi I think it's the tenant that has to set it up themselves (you setting it up would be more like a direct debit). Definitely insist on a minimum notice period of at least 4 weeks otherwise you could get people saying they want to leave the next day etc - if nothing else it gives you a chance to oversee the person leaving and make sure nothing is damaged. 6 months might be a bit long for a minimum tenancy though cos if they're a very troublesome tenant you might want them gone asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭OTK

direct debit is not available to you as a private individual. A standing order can be cancelled at any time. So can a direct debit.
    Minimum notice periods for tenancy are defined by law. See http://citizensinformation.ie/categories/housing/renting-a-home/landlord-and-tenants-rights/if_your_landlord_wants_you_to_leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

RuggieBear wrote: »
    That could bite you in the ass.

I am more than aware of that. But I'm by no means the only person who has ended up doing so with a landlord.

Advertisement