Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Helmet for Ventilation

Options
  • 08-11-2007 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

This is my current helmet and I am beginning to get tired of how sweaty my head is every morning when I arrive into work after my 9 mile cycle.

Anyone know of any better helmets ventilation-wise? They do seem to tout this one has having good ventilation, but maybe theres something more hi-tech about these days...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Those Catlike Whisper helmets are practically all holes so I guess they'd be pretty good for ventilation. Plus I think they look kinda cool with the world champ colours..

Not cheap though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

sapper wrote: »
    This is my current helmet and I am beginning to get tired of how sweaty my head is every morning when I arrive into work after my 9 mile cycle.

Anyone know of any better helmets ventilation-wise? They do seem to tout this one has having good ventilation, but maybe theres something more hi-tech about these days...?
    This will be more comfortable, whilst delivering about the same level of protection.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

Normally the better the ventilation the more expensive they are. Less helmet bigger price! In this weather I'm more interested in keeping my head warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

I was nearly considering a balaclava yesterday morning!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

mkdon05 wrote: »
    I was nearly considering a balaclava yesterday morning!!:D

I use one, its a thin ones, and ones made from wicking coolmax material.

get them on chainreactioncycles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Do they affect your hearing?
    rubadub wrote: »
    I use one, its a thin ones, and ones made from wicking coolmax material.

get them on chainreactioncycles

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I have one from CRC, but not worn it yet. I also have a headband which does dampen the hearing a bit, but certainly to a lesser degree than, say, a car stereo or ear phones at "normal" volume. I wouldn't have any hesitation in wearing one when it's cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i got the shain bk-100 for ~€40. havent got much use out of it so far but it seems to do the job more than adequate!

Never noticed it enough to even think about it. It could possibly improve hearing, the wind can get caught up in your ear structure & whistle, like if you wear earphones -this might possibly smoothen the wind past you. Will check on the way home.

The one I have is the thickness of t-shirt material, you can also fold it up twice and wear it like a beanie, the material will wick like a headband. I used to find my face cold and head sweating with thick beanies.

It is not an "IRA" balaclava by any means, more like a ski mask, the entire face can poke out, or you can lift it up over your nose, it goes right down over your neck too, so acts like a scarf too, really stretchy.

Sounds pretty good actually. What "model" is it?
    rubadub wrote: »

It is not an "IRA" balaclava by any means, more like a ski mask, the entire face can poke out, or you can lift it up over your nose, it goes right down over your neck too, so acts like a scarf too, really stretchy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Do you wear a helmet? If you do does it not make your head even sweatier?

I was actually going to get a balaclava from CRC, then I thought people would start calling me a “bike ninja”, then I thought being a bike ninja would be pretty cool, then I thought no, it wouldn’t be cool at all.

It hasn’t been cold enough yet, but I think I’ll wear a scarf over my face when I need to. That’ll cover my whole neck and the top of my chest as well.

Commuting, I wear a skater-style helmet as well as a neck gaiter which can stretch over my mouth or even nose. I generally find the two together are enough to keep me warm in Winter over a 15-minute commute.

Taking my road bike out, though, is a different story - chiefly because I'm out for much longer. I reckon I'll be needing some kind of balaclava or at least a cap that fits under the helmet. Not sure what to get, though...

On a tangential note: one of the more entertaining pieces of graffiti on permanent exhibition on Dublin's northside consists of the words "IRA NINJA" scrawled in huge lettering on a wall near North Frederick Street...
    Do you wear a helmet? If you do does it not make your head even sweatier?

I was actually going to get a balaclava from CRC, then I thought people would start calling me a “bike ninja”, then I thought being a bike ninja would be pretty cool, then I thought no, it wouldn’t be cool at all.

It hasn’t been cold enough yet, but I think I’ll wear a scarf over my face when I need to. That’ll cover my whole neck and the top of my chest as well.

Sounds pretty good actually. What "model" is it?

Not on sale anymore. It was this

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9324

this looks similar enough
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11918
    eyes are closer but it will probably stretch to expose all the face

here is another more its shape it says "winter", I didnt want one to be particularly warm though this says snug for helmet use so maybe the "winter" is the longer neck
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14870

Extra fancy, looked too warm for me
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=14866

I dont wear a helmet. When I start out it is full face covered- eyes exposed. Then you can just pull it down while cycling to expose the face, then when full warm it pulls right down so is like a scarf, very versatile.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Someone should get this...
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=11916

It looks like a gimp mask.

Tiocfidh ár rothar.

Irish Rothar Army

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Tiocfidh ár rothar.
    Irish Rothar Army
    :cool: Tiocfidh ár lána , is more like it...

Or, in my case, "Tiocfaidh úrlár".
    rp wrote: »

rp wrote: »

And with that, I found a quote worthy for use as my signature.

Test

Dude, it's "tiocfaidh". How can our lane ever come if we can't spell?
    Test

• Advertisement

Dude, it's "tiocfaidh". How can our lane ever come if we can't spell?

No way dude, the first vowel in the verb is a short vowel, therefore in aimsir laithreach it should have a short vowel at the end.

I think.

OK, I asked the internet.

I'm wrong.

btw:
    If you type "Tiocfidh ar la" into Google, you'll get this clown:
    http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=4104081450

That guy's a hell of an ad for unionism.
    OK, I asked the internet.

I'm wrong.

btw:
    If you type "Tiocfidh ar la" into Google, you'll get this clown:
    http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=4104081450

Advertisement