Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best DJ speakers???

• 08-11-2007 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hey, thanks everyone on their recommendations for DJ equip. much appreciated, went with the Numark D2s. Now can anyone recommend the best value, most effective speakers. I'll be doin an office parties in Dec. My price range would range from €200 euro to €400 unless you can recommend the best speakers in the world for over that. really tryin to keep the price down tho. and by the way is there such a think as an amp (that you could connect a mic to directly and maybe then connect to a laptop to record voice) that could double as speaker or vice versa. excuse my ignorance, infact embrace it, it's an excuse for ye to show how much ya know and how sharing ya are. x Sian

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Congrats on the D2. I'm just in from another set with that great unit!!! If your looking for decent tops your going to have to spend more cash. How many people on average you playing too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

At that budget i'd go second hand rather than cheapy new ones to be honest, try some of the hire shops around dublin.

You should be able to pick up a pair of EV sx200/300's for around that money or even powered JBL eon's at a push, Both pack a punch and the eon's even have a built in amp!

tip: only buy eon's with the amp built in mind, the non powered ones are utter crap for some reason.

tip2: Make sure the top ends are OK in anything you buy (not dull sounding) as these are pricey to fix unless they real cheapy's.

Thomann have some decent(ish) speakers new at not too expensive pricing, at that budget your kinda limited to ....

behringer (prolly ****e)
    dynacord (total ****e) or
    the.box (own brand knockoffs that are generally decent enough !)
    db technologies (not bad - heard them a few places)
    COMMUNITY (heard once and was suprised they weren't half bad - loud)

I would not spend less than 200 minimum each on speakers - it wont be worth it, you'll end up blowing them or the sound will be so unbearable you wished you never started, 400 watts in a pub function room can easily be pushed to the limit and you quickly run out of headroom fast.

If you are intending on parties, I wouldn't trust the behringer or dynacord stuff.

Oh and dont forget to allow for stands in your budget, and if you are getting paid for the gigs it might be as handy to hire a small rig.

you would not trust Dynacord????? highly priced, but still one of the best made gear out there......You can not in a million year mention Behringer & Dynacord in the same line as trust.....madness. Dynacord is a fab brand and you'll rarely find dj'd using there gear, simple cause there too expensive and most dj's go for the cheap and cheerful option.

Ev's are the standard Dj tops. Your better of spending some time looking into your tops and making sure you get the right ones for the job. I agree that 2nd hand might be a better option.

2x500watt tops would be fine for small gigs. Larger rooms and you really need subs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

deevey wrote: »
    You should be able to pick up a pair of EV sx200/300's for around that money or even powered JBL eon's at a push, Both pack a punch and the eon's even have a built in amp!
    <snip>
    behringer (prolly ****e)
    dynacord (total ****e) or
    the.box (own brand knockoffs that are generally decent enough !)
    db technologies (not bad - heard them a few places)
    COMMUNITY (heard once and was suprised they weren't half bad - loud)
    <snip>
    If you are intending on parties, I wouldn't trust the behringer or dynacord stuff.
    My god in heaven. Where do I begin. Please do not mention Dynacord in the same context as Behringer - one makes Tour grade gear the other makes junk. You berate Dynacord yet you tell him to get EV's - you do know Dynacord and EV are closely related under the Telex brand along with Midas and KlarkTeknik? Dynacord boxes use EV woofers, and vice versa.
    There's a reason why all the top rental companies use Dynacord rigs, its well respected and withstands rigorous abuse.

JBL EON's are notoriously bad and are specifically targeted to entry level DJ's who haven't a clue, dont know any better or just want an orange JBL logo for street cred. If you do some Google searching you will find a lot of bad things said about the EON range in general, but the EON15G2 gets especially bad reports and is generally considered a speaker to avoid. JBL make some great speaker ranges, EON aren't one of them.

For a DJ speaker between €200-400, there is nothing that will sound good and last the distance for regular gigging.

Apologies for the comments on dynacord equipment.

I put my hand up and tell the world "I made a boo-boo", it was actually another cheapie speaker manufacturer I was referring to, dynamix i think it was,who i can find little or no info on, so maybe they just died a quiet death

Dynacords name just came out ,i have absolutely no experience with dynacord apart from viewing the prices, which are prolly well above the OP's budget anyhoo.

True JBL eons arent the best sounding but loud, idiot proof and (were) reliable - dunno about the g2's.

Still reckon second hand is the way to go for something decent - have a peek on ebay, shipping should be ok so long as they are UK based.

• Advertisement

duplicate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

Spend decent money on speakers....Nexo i recommend but a sh*t load of money

Spend decent money on speakers....Nexo i recommend but a sh*t load of money
    :eek:
    Shirley you can't be serious. I'd say, considering the OP's budget,he wouldn't even be able to buy a Nexo sticker, let alone full system. The prices are huge. Be a deadly DJ rig though :D

I put my hand up and tell the world "I made a boo-boo", it was actually another cheapie speaker manufacturer I was referring to, dynamix i think it was,who i can find little or no info on, so maybe they just died a quiet death

Dynacords name just came out ,i have absolutely no experience with dynacord apart from viewing the prices, which are prolly well above the OP's budget anyhoo.
    No harm no foul. :)

True JBL eons arent the best sounding but loud, idiot proof and (were) reliable - dunno about the g2's.

Still reckon second hand is the way to go for something decent - have a peek on ebay, shipping should be ok so long as they are UK based.

All's forgiven so :)

Nexo for dj'ing...... Nice....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

I use Virtual DJ with my 00DJ (http://www.media.pcdj.co.uk/Images/Product%20images/M.jpg) I have a Kool 1700W amp, Behringer Pro 1512 800W speakers, and a KAM KCM350 mixer.

I mainly do birthday parties at my local bar, but also christenings, (YUK lots of kids!), weddings and event paries, (Halloween, Xmas etc) I find VDJ better than PCDJ as the search function just shows the title and artist, where PCDJ shows the location, comment, genre, bpm etc. I don't bother beatmatching so bmp doesn't really matter to me. In fact I am a lazy DJ, I use the auto mix button! I also do karaoke, but not so much now. I found you really need 2 people, one singing, one playing the songs. I'm a crud singer anyway!

DJ Spider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭djdeclan

Im selling my amp and speakers in favour of a more powerful set-up...

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=36866&cat=16

Never given me any trouble since i bought them, good for small/medium gigs.
    Let me know what you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Sure you get one in Maplins for €500

Speakers. Amp n Stands, thinkin of getting rid of mine to get it.....

Fieldog wrote: »
    Sure you get one in Maplins for €500

Speakers. Amp n Stands, thinkin of getting rid of mine to get it.....

Don't bother! I bought some from them last year. Was using them at a christening and after about 3hrs one went very bassy, found the tweeter had blown. That was using the amp that came with them. Also I know this is only a minor thing, but they included the covers, they had prosound on them with handles cutouts, but one was back to front and upside down, so you couldn't carry the speaker with the cover on.

But as a stop gap they are ok, check on eBay there are a few speaker and amp packages that are pretty reasonable even including the shipping from the UK. Such as this company http://tinyurl.com/2pxetj they have very good feedback, reliable, fast shipping, and always answer any queries you have. I got some good speakers from them last year and they only took about 4 days to arrive.

YMMV

DJ Spider

Maplins do a lot of great products, unfortunately PA systems isn't amongst them.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭djdeclan

you could buy the fisher price ones from maplin but whats the point in buying good cd players/mixer/laptop etc and then getting a cheapo sound system to play the music through, at the end of the day nobody cares what equipment you are using as long as you sound good, and your sound is mainly down to the amp/speakers you use...
    If you buy sub-standard speakers you will sound cheap - no matter how good you are at djing your speakers will let you down.

djdeclan wrote: »
    you could buy the fisher price ones from maplin
    Excuse me. That's very unfair to Fisher Price. They made some great toys :)

DJ_Spider wrote: »
    Don't bother! I bought some from them last year. Was using them at a christening and after about 3hrs one went very bassy, found the tweeter had blown. That was using the amp that came with them. Also I know this is only a minor thing, but they included the covers, they had prosound on them with handles cutouts, but one was back to front and upside down, so you couldn't carry the speaker with the cover on.

But as a stop gap they are ok, check on eBay there are a few speaker and amp packages that are pretty reasonable even including the shipping from the UK. Such as this company http://tinyurl.com/2pxetj they have very good feedback, reliable, fast shipping, and always answer any queries you have. I got some good speakers from them last year and they only took about 4 days to arrive.

YMMV

DJ Spider

Cheers Spider,

Might stick to my ****ty Stageline ones so!

I see Maplins do great disco lights..... red/green/blue and repeat...

I see Maplins do great disco lights..... red/green/blue and repeat...

So do Tommy Wonderland in Northside Shopping Centre! But they only got one of those rotating light ball yokes! plus it's 20E!

Best light I got recently was one of these http://www.soundsaround.ie/product_images/wildtech_junior.jpgonly cost 165E as well. It was the gobo one works a treat.

DJ Spider

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭sian

jeepurst lads (and by the way i'm a girl). Thanks a mill for all the input. Mightily confused now tho. As in all things I guess you get what you pay for. Just a bit scary all this investment when i haven't actually DONE any djing yet. Talk about a leap of faith!!! I agree that there's absolutely no point tho if the sound is **** so can anyone recommend any places/people I should talk to about getting second hand stuff, and again reiterate what I should look out for. I assume that what i need is two speakers and stands, or should i get gettin sub-woofers and other add-ons too or should I be looking for speakers that deliver in themselves in terms of bass etc??? Is anything under 400 euro per each speaker really gonna be ****e. My first gig will prob be an office party with nearly 300 people there.

Thanks,

Sian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

I've been using the maplins prosound package for the last couple of years. Done gigs in some biggish venues like ashdown park hotel and stillorgan park hotel no probs at all. Been thinking of upgrading now that I have made some money from it and as I use mp3s I find for some of them the level isn't quite high enough.
    What do you think of these: www.adverts.ie/25887 ?

Hi,

I think if your not sure what to get I'd go hire something out for you dec gig. Atleast your not rushing into getting anything just for 1 gig.

Getting the tops would be the 1st bit. You can add the subs on at a later stage. Remember that weight is always an issue to be considered. Tops can weight between 15-25kg and subs from 25-50kg depending on the model. Nothing worse than carting tons of gear down stairs and lifts at 4am in the morning on your own!! So if your in a car forget about getting the 2 tops/subs into it! You can add on sub one down the line if you want to.

Adverts.ie and buyandsell.ie for 2nd hand gear.

If you can't see yourself getting subs in the near future then buy some 15" tops. you can add one 18"sub later if you wish, but that will weigh alot!

http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/en_EN/-/EUR/ViewProductDetail-Start;pgid=?SKU=PAH031&ProductUUID=0&JumpTo=OfferList

I've read good stuff about these but there not nice when pushed to hard. Other people here have told me so too..

As a dj myself bass is what its all about to get those feet on the floor. Best thing is for the subs to be doing all the work and leave the tops to be just sitting back, but the choice of 2x12" tops with 2x15 subs as suppose to just 2x15 tops is a question i wish someone would have answered for me!! I've played all of my gigs this year with just 2x12 tops, now in saying that the tops are high class tops. Large cabinets that give good bass response. I've now gone with 2x15 tops so I'll see how they go..afterall it took me over 4 months to decide between passive or active...

well happy hunting!!

sian wrote: »
    jeepurst lads (and by the way i'm a girl). Thanks a mill for all the input. Mightily confused now tho. As in all things I guess you get what you pay for. Just a bit scary all this investment when i haven't actually DONE any djing yet. Talk about a leap of faith!!! I agree that there's absolutely no point tho if the sound is **** so can anyone recommend any places/people I should talk to about getting second hand stuff, and again reiterate what I should look out for. I assume that what i need is two speakers and stands, or should i get gettin sub-woofers and other add-ons too or should I be looking for speakers that deliver in themselves in terms of bass etc??? Is anything under 400 euro per each speaker really gonna be ****e. My first gig will prob be an office party with nearly 300 people there.

Thanks,

Sian

Jebus H Christ!

Think my 1st gig was a 21st!

Prob had bout 100 at it, and I was playin repetitive noise....

:)

Advertisement