Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying in UK

Options
  • 08-11-2007 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Thinking of buying a s/h skoda octavia diesel in uk. Is it worth the hassle? Is there much of a saving to be made? What are the best websites to look for car? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭bucks

www.autotrader.co.uk
    www.pistonheads.com

Should also look for some UK skoda enthuasist forums.

Savings depends on what year you are going for, newer the car bigger the savings. Even if you were only saving 1k you will be getting a car that more than likely has been looked after with full service history and has only used good roads in its lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Unlike the Irish ingneral, the Brits in general look after their cars much better than we do, a UK car will have travelled on much better roads and looked after much better than one of our own, and will also have a bigger and better engine and a higher spec list than an Irish car too.

The only thing to remeber is that UK spec cars are all in mph, even the ones after 05.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Make sure the car in question is checked by HPI before even thinking of parting with money.

Cars like Octavia diesels are popular as mini cabs in the UK so have it checked in detail. The mileage on the odometer may not be a true indication of use.

Also there are alot of flood damaged cars still knocking about on backstreet dealerships. Avoid at all costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

www.allapprovedcars.com or www.cargiant.co.uk

Good luck,.It well worth it.But do alot of research before you go over and get your potential car fully checked out HPI etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭boffin54321

Thanks guys. How do I check with HPI - is there a phnone number?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

www.fow.co.uk
    www.availablecar.com

Google HPI Check.

Book the Flight over book the ferry back, best to do this during the week, as car supermarkets are very busy during the weekend.

Cargiant.co.uk is easy to get to from London, or Heathrow airport. Its just off the M25. However not easy to pay them. They dont take Credit Cards, and only take a Uk bank draft. They do take cash though, although I think you can be arrested in England for carrying cash over a certain amount.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

yep, bought a car last april, great saving, and as all the previous posters have mentioned, get a HPI check done €50, establish which car you want and have a backout plan, i.e. a second or third car to look at if not happy with the first. Also if buying from a private seller, tell him/her that you are booking flights, and for him/her to hold the car for you. I was nearly caught out by purchasing a flight and the seller told me at the last minute that he took a price for the car the night before. Just lucky that i didn't book the flight the night before.
    As for the cash, bring a recipt from your bank for the sterling, but to be super cautious, get a letter form your local guard.
    It IS worth the hasle, I saved €4000 aprox on a 04 tdi passat. It did take a lot of research, and time but in the end I saved 4k.

Advertisement