Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Smithfield

Options
  • 08-11-2007 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I just moved to Smithfield and I;m sick of having to pop to the internet cafe to use the internet. I live in Smithfield Square and i was wondering if anyone could recommend a internet provider for me?
    I just rent the room so nothing that could interupr the owner of the apartment and not overly expensive.
    I dont download music or anything technical - just mainly surf!
    I was thinking about the portable internets from the mobile providers cos i could take it with me (Cavan/Monaghan) when i go home to visit the old folks!
    I know they have usage caps - Vodafone 5Gb, O2 and 3 have 10Gb but i dont understand what Gb's i use monthly?!!
    I dont download music or upload stuff to youtube but i do get alot of emails where i have to download pics and stuff....

HELP ME!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

IF ur just emailing ,browsing,downloading pics ,i recommend ripwave,18euro per month ,no cap re downloading.go to shop ,peats, buy it,keep,box,manual,cdrom.IF you get a bad signal then bring it back to shop within3 days,get FULL refund ,hold on to receipt for at least a month.You need a bank account or credit card to sign up.WORKS thru los ,there must be direct line between you and transmitter,put it in window facing the aerial,you can see bars go up down as you move the unit.i get around 200k per sec 5 bar signal.the higher/closer unit is to aerial the better the signal.BUT you only have coverage x distance from aerial, you can bring it home if theres an ibb aerial where you are going.i can download demos 600meg ,but it takes a long time, should be grand for sum1 sharing an apartment.THE MAX DL I GET ,for a game is around 100k /per sec, but i get 200k net speed all the time,signal is very steady.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

sorry - whats an ibb aerial??

a ripwave reciever recieves irish broadband transmitter to recieve broadband signal, 500k is 18euro per month ,1meg is 24 euro approx.ITS ok for casual browsing,not so good for gamers ,youtube video takes about 3minutes to load.IF you cant afford to get phoneline installed its ok,it has no download cap.Sndard eircom capis 1gig per month ,i think.Look at the irish broadband site for more detailed info,it shows transmitter locations,and areas of coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'd suggest you avoid 3 broadband. I'd recommend O2. But again, check coverage in your area and make sure you return it if it's not suitable within a few days!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

I know from reading the other threads that 3 is crap but i've decided to try it cos its cheaper than the rest, i have 14 days to try it out.

I am worried though that if i keep it - whats the 10gb usage cap. is there any way to see what you've used?? i dont wanna get a big bill

• Advertisement

I,m sure you can download ,a prog for your pc to record the amount of data,sent,or recieved, use google 2 find it.if theres any aerial ibb, near you ,you should get 200k per sec,with no download cap, unless theres a large bulding between you and the aerial.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

dlambirl wrote: »
    I know from reading the other threads that 3 is crap but i've decided to try it cos its cheaper than the rest, i have 14 days to try it out.

I am worried though that if i keep it - whats the 10gb usage cap. is there any way to see what you've used?? i dont wanna get a big bill
    www.randomprojects.eu/3webusage

It's about 24 hours behind. That link will redirect you to the actual link which you can bookmark.

Note: heed the many pages in this thread.

Advertisement