Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beatles or Wings?

Options
  • 08-11-2007 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭

Who's better?

The Beatles or Wings 24 votes

The Beatles
    0% 0 votes
    Wings
    100% 24 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

beatles by about 70000000 trillion miles, Mull of Kintyre and jet are so vomit inducing

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭coolhandc

i dont think your gona find one person who thinks wings are better than the beatles but id be interested to know if anyone did actually prefer wings...

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭depadz

alan partridge did - wings, the band the beatles could have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

fwedrest wrote: »

yeah but he was into all that britpop crap wasn't he - Def leopard, UB40 and the likes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Neither they were both muck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

Who's better?

beatles; if for no other reason than McCartney had to prove himself to Lennon continuously. There's a lot of Wings tunes that would have been Beatles tunes if they'd stayed together, but a lot of the muck would have been dropped on the grounds that Lennon would have said 'Paul, that's crap'.

Mind you, Lennons 70's output could have done with a bit of quality control as well, and to be honest, the only one to get decent output out of him was Macca...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Mind you, Lennons 70's output could have done with a bit of quality control as well, and to be honest, the only one to get decent output out of him was Macca...
    True, Lennon stated himself that he was happy to stay at home for most of the 70's baking bread as he felt that what McCarthney was doing was rubbish.

Then he heard Wings' 'Coming Up' on the radio and thought "that's good!...too good!" and he said it forced him to going back into the studio to write and record "Starting Over".

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

yeah but he was into all that britpop crap wasn't he - Def leopard, UB40 and the likes.

Did you know that smoke on the water was written during a jamming session...

Who are wings? THey're only the band the beatles could have been.

Brilliant.

Partridge>Wings>Beatles>God? apparently...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

Neither they were both muck

Agreed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

lol, beat me to that one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Where's the Classic Rock board when you need it?

Miek.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,100 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Wings were a pretty good band, but they were just not in the same same life-changing legendary category as The Beatles. I think Paul McCartney was inclined towards overindulgence or just plain mediocrity without the competing rivalry of John Lennon.

Wings did have some memorable songs alright : Coming Up, Band on The Run, Tug of War, Jet (I think it was good!), With A Little Luck and a good lot more. I have on tape somewhere the album Venus and Mars, which would be better than many, say, soft-rock albums, but not exactly a classic. But the depth of the Beatles songs and cleverness was missing... and don't forget that the Beatles had THREE good songwriters in John, Paul and George. Sorry, Ringo!

No offence to all concerned but Linda's presence in the band was largely honourary I think. Wings did have some talented muscians in the band - Denny Laine (a singer in his own right) and Henry McCullough, but they really did not get much of a look-in. Denny is given a writting credit for Mull of Kintyre (which bit I'd love to know!) and it is a song I have a sort of love-hate relationship with.

I await with bated breath for someone to say they preferred Wings and I would like to see the reasons why. After all, everyone is entitled to their own tastes in music.

And what has this got to do with "Alternative/Indie" anyway? I suppose you could count "Tommorow Never Knows" from the Revolver album and a no.of tracks from the White Album as alternative (Beatles if you don't know).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

It simply has to be The Beatles.

Just simply

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Got in ahead of me:D. A classic Alan Patridge moment, love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Cheese or Pepsi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

mike65 wrote: »
    Where's the Classic Rock board when you need it?

Miek.

+1. Particularly gets me when people post Neil Young threads in here. NY is alternative and/or indie? what?

Course the last time it was mooted it got shot down in flames
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=207684&highlight=classic+rock
    can't find the reason why the punk forum was granted, maybe if the request was for a Punk Rock forum it would have got the same treatment:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

"I was the one who got Paul McCartney out of Wings"
    "You idiot! He was the best one!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Cheese or Pepsi?

Right now Pepsi cause I'm thirsty and I don't like drinking cheese. But if I was making a toastie I would always go with cheese. This is just my opinion, so please don't attack me for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

ROFL at this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Moved to Music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

=SumGuy;54381460]lol, beat me to that one!
    And you beat me to the same responce lol

To be fair the Beatles were of their time ,when pop music was just that ' pop' and wasn't taken so seriously by the mass's (until the stones and the rest of the british invasion arrived ) but compare there early 60's light catchy tunes with there mid/ late sixties stuff , it's to easy to right them of as crap and either way, both Lennon and McCartney brought out the best in each other .A lot of wings tracks could so easy have being beatle ones.

Quote George Harrison '' We (beatles) have being beatled to death ''

latchyco wrote: »
    To...compare there early 60's light catchy tunes with there mid/ late sixties stuff , it's to easy to right them of as crap....

No. And leaving your atrocious spelling to one side for a moment it's not easy to write the early stuff off as crap. Go listen to Hard Days Night from start to finish and tell me it's not perfectly crafted pop, which is *just* as hard to get right and as any timothy leary inspired monk chanting arse-aboutery!

No. And leaving your atrocious spelling to one side for a moment it's not easy to write the early stuff off as crap. Go listen to Hard Days Night from start to finish and tell me it's not perfectly crafted pop, which is *just* as hard to get right and as any timothy leary inspired monk chanting arse-aboutery!
    Sorry ,spelling mistake aside right instead of write (so unlike me ) i was not writing off their early stuff (in case you think i was ?) and have a copy of hard days night myself.I was actually refering to previous posters who said they (wings and beatles) were both 'crap' ,so get your facts right . I actually have a soft spot for the fab gear 4 ..
    which is *just* as hard to get right and as any timothy leary inspired monk chanting arse-aboutery!
    You have being listening to Revolver again :)....or the jam

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Wings were an incredible band. They wrote really thought provoking, poignant songs like Mull of Kintyre, Jet, Silly Love Songs, and let us not forget, Give Ireland back to the Irish. Truly they were a great band that stand head and shoulders above all musical artists of the 20th and 21st centuries. Even The Beatles. Give me a Wings album any day over a Beatles one, Wings were way better than the Beatles ever could be, the sheer depth and genius of Mull of Kintyre is far superior to say A Day in the Life or Tomorrow Never Knows . I salute you Wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Wings were an incredible band. They wrote really thought provoking, poignant songs like Mull of Kintyre, Jet, Silly Love Songs, and let us not forget, Give Ireland back to the Irish. Truly they were a great band that stand head and shoulders above all musical artists of the 20th and 21st centuries. Even The Beatles. Give me a Wings album any day over a Beatles one, Wings were way better than the Beatles ever could be, the sheer depth and genius of Mull of Kintyre is far superior to say A Day in the Life or Tomorrow Never Knows . I salute you Wings.

you should be committed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Wings were nowhere near as good as The Beatles

Does that make them worthless? No.

A far more interesting question would Lennon's solo work or Wings. That's a close run thing.

Lennons favorite subject on his song writing was himself and ono quite a lot ,and very introspective.His drug taking i think played a great part in his state of mind as it does anybody ,were as McCartney and wings were doing the middle of the road catchy pop stuff .I find Lennons imagine to be dreary ,were 'Another day ' by McCartney (released about the same time) more up beat and melodic. A lot of Lennons stuff does stand the test of time like ' no 9 dream ,and 'whatever get's you tru the night .'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

you should be committed

WINGS! YE-AH!! WOOOH!!!!!

oh thank you; you've just busted my sarcasm-detectometer®...i hope you're happy...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

more seriously - the individual beatles solo material is disappointing as a whole. You could probably compile the really essential stuff from all 4 of them onto one double-CD. And that would include a few Ringo tracks ("It don't come easy" is great for a start)...

Advertisement