Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beatles or Wings?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

loyatemu wrote: »
    more seriously - the individual beatles solo material is disappointing as a whole. You could probably compile the really essential stuff from all 4 of them onto one double-CD. And that would include a few Ringo tracks ("It don't come easy" is great for a start)...
    Actually i think there may have being a cd rleased a few years back of individual solo songs off the 4 ex-beatles ,here are a few of mine .

Another day (paul
    Mother (john)
    My sweet lord (george)
    Photograph (ringo)
    Stand by me (john)
    Sily love songs ( paul)
    Mind games (john )
    All those years ago ( george)
    it dont come easy (ringo )
    my love (paul)
    whatever gets you tru the night ( john)
    Isin't it a pity ( george)
    your 16 (ringo)
    band on the run (paul)
    womon (john)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 BadfingerBoogie

Well I love both, but I prefer The Beatles.

On a side note, one thing I would like to mention is that the bashing Wings gets sometimes seems to be more of an expectation issue than an actual quality issue. If you don't like Wings, that perfectly fine, but when you think about it, the (early) Beatles and the Traveling Wilburys have lots of silly love songs too, but nobody really seems to care about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

I suppose the thing is that the Beatles went from being lovable mop-tops in 1963-64 to Revolver in 66 to White album in 68 and the crowning glory that was Abbey Road - that's 6 years and a complete evolution in sound and style.

Wings - while quite musically adept - weren't quite as innovative; the songs were still okay, but they didn't have the same phases of creativity and to be honest any Wings song from the early 70's could just have easily appeared on one of the later albums; that wouldn't be the case with 'Come Together' or 'She Loves You'.

As for the Wilburys - it's a completely different thing you got there; the appeal there was that this was 5 (and latterly 4) legends (ish) just sitting around having fun. The quality of the songs was darned good, but nobody (least of all the Wilburys themselves) were taking this seriously. If anybody else had done this, it would have been described, with much derision, as a vanity project. However, once you got Dylan and Orbison involved, nobody was gonna dream of saying that! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I love both but the Beatles are as much a social phenomenon now and will always be a reference point in musical history for everybody .The amount of bands and musicians who have being influenced by them cuts through all musical generes,but equally like U2 for instance ,they can be a band you either love or hate. Some prefer thier earlier stuff ,some their mid-sixties stuff and some their late stuff. I prefer a bit of them all . You pick any of their albums and there are at least 2 or 3 tracks that could have being hit singles if released by themselfs or other artists which they somtimes did ie, peter and gorden , Cilla black ,B J Kramer ,Badfinger ,Marmalade .

If i was to pick 2 tracks of all their original albums 62-70 ,it would compile like this .....

1 Please Please me /I saw her standing there
    2 All my lovin / Not a second time
    3 Cant buy me love /Tell me why
    4 Your going to lose that girl /The night before
    5 Nowere man /If i needed somone
    6 Dr robert /Eleanor rigby
    7 Getting better /Benifit of mr kite
    8 strawberry fields /Penny lane
    9 Back in the ussr /Dear prudence
    10 Yellow submarine /Al you need is love
    11 Here comes the sun /You never give me your money
    12 Get back / long and winding road

Footnote - Oh bla Di Oh bla da by Lennon /McCartney

This was a #1 hit in England for Marmalade in 1968. With this song, Marmalade became the first Scottish group to top the UK charts (leaving little doubt about their origin, they performed the song on Top Of The Pops wearing kilts). It also could be considered the first UK #1 to be done in a Reggae style. Marmalade's bassist Graham Knight recalls in 1000 UK #1 Hits by Jon Kutner and Spencer Leigh, "The Beatles' music publisher, Dick James, played us the acetate of The Beatles' Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da and we thought it was great. He said, 'You can have it, I won't give it to anyone else,' but of course he passed it to another 27 acts. We rush-recorded it in the middle of the night during a week of cabaret in the north-east. Our manager, who was in America at the time, kept sending us telegrams not to do it. He didn't think we should record a Beatles song. We expected it to do well, but we didn't think it would go to #1. We got no feedback from The Beatles at all. There had been so many covers by that time that I shouldn't think they'd have been very interested." (thanks, Edward Pearce - Ashford, Kent, England)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Metallic_Sky**

The beatles but i have to say Lennon's sound was the best. I think it was a bit more rock'n'roll not to mention ahead of its time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Great question. People have mentioned partridges response. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyZspqjtG2k/

Advertisement