Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lights on Bicycles

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Tomas_V wrote: »
    I think drivers should leave their lights on when parking at night on a public road.

Will you volunteer to help push start the cars the next morning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Tomas_V

Stark wrote: »
    Will you volunteer to help push start the cars the next morning?
    Road safety should be the primary concern. Unlit cars are difficult to see at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Road safety should be the primary concern. Unlit cars are difficult to see at night.
    If they are parked in the same direction as traffic then the rear reflectors will make them easy enough to see. Even when parked the 'wrong' way, the registration plate should reflect car lights. Even on a bike with (relatively) low powered lights, I don't think I've ever had an issue seeing a parked car.
    Verb wrote: »
    If you see a cyclist without lights, then why not complain to the Gardai ? I don't think you'd get any cyclist here complaining about that.
    Agreed. I would praise the Gardai if they stopped fellow cyclists who don't have lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

I drove home yesterday from Dublin city centre at rush hour, something I don't do very often, and I was shocked by most of the cyclists. I used to commute by bike fairly often so I make a special effort to watch out for cyclists, but the numbers without lights or any high-vis clothing was scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

If you have a headlamp instead of just white or green LEDs you'll have no problem seeing the reflectors on the back of a car.
    Raam wrote:
    The flashy ones are great for getting noticed when in traffic at night time. It gets the attention of people joining from side streets. The constant beam just doesn't get the same attention. For dark roads, non-flashy is definitely the way to go.

Nothing against the flashing ones as they do get your attention... But they should be used as well as a headlamp according to the law and common sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,990 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I've never had a problem with unlit parked cars or any stationary object for that matter when cycling. I think certain posters need to have an eye check/consider getting the bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

daymobrew wrote: »
    With high viz gear you are harnassing the power of the car lights (which are going to be much more powerful than bicycle lights, unless you are spending lots of money).

Which is bugger all use when the cyclist is coming at at me from the side as in the case of coming out the driveway as above

Stark wrote: »
    I've never had a problem with unlit parked cars or any stationary object for that matter when cycling. I think certain posters need to have an eye check/consider getting the bus.
    Similarly, motorists posting here seem to no problem seeing cyclists with no lights.

Everyone agrees that cyclists should have lights and many insist they should wear reflective bibs.

There is a legal requirement for cars to be lit at night when street lighting is inadequate. I'd like to see this enforced.

Cars coming or going from wrong-side parking spots at night are a safety hazard. Their lights blind oncoming traffic. This needs to be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

Similarly, motorists posting here seem to no problem seeing cyclists with no lights..

Mate i dont think so, have you read the thread? If your looking for the cyclists with no lights/wearing dark clothes then yes you have a chance to see them. If there coming from the side, not in full view or suddenly jump into the flow of traffic of a side road or path then no!

a 100% rate of cyclists with no lights is unacceptable (My findings the other morning).

snaps wrote: »
    Mate i dont think so, have you read the thread? If your looking for the cyclists with no lights/wearing dark clothes then yes you have a chance to see them. If there coming from the side, not in full view or suddenly jump into the flow of traffic of a side road or path then no!
    The real topic is 'how can we improve the safety of cyclists at night?'

I understand and agree that cyclists should have lights and wear light-coloured clothing. Its also important for cyslist to observe the existing rules. None of this need debate. You're preaching to the choir.

Let's move on to other effective measures.

1: Motorists should wear safety clothing when entering or leaving their cars at night.

2 All cars should be properly lit when on a public road at night, whether moving or stationary.

3: Cars should park in the same direction of traffic.

4: Cars should be parked in such a way as not to endanger other road users. By parking on the road, they're forcing cyclists out into the middle of the lane.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

In the space of 5 minutes last night I saw one motorist with no headlights on and another with only 'parks'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

We should have a law in this country all cars should have their lights on at all times of the day during winter months (Like some euro countries) I think in Scandinavia cars have their lights on all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Similarly, motorists posting here seem to no problem seeing cyclists with no lights.

Yeah, but will be be on the bonnet when ya see him? It was raining cats and dogs last night and there was a fecking eejit going along with dark clothes / no lights. Didn't see him till quite late.
    Course it's his lookout if he wants his hips smashed.

Anyway, can the modern he-man who rides a bike not power a dynamo? Is it THAT hard to fit and push?
    I do agree with the blinky lights as well though, they are light / cheap and attention getting.

The old saying is "Be safe - Be seen!"

Advertisement