Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rayburn commissioning problem

• 08-11-2007 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I am just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem. We recently had a Rayburn oil- fired Heatranger 480K range installed by a local plumber. We rang Rayburn to have it commissioned.(Big warning notice on range saying DO NOT start up until commissioned). Rayburn said they would sort it. They rang back a week later and said they were having trouble finding someone to commission it. We were told they were trying someone else but assuming they could it would take a least 2 weeks before it was commissioned. They advised us to use it without commissioning. So far we have resisted the temptation to use it as we are concerned about invalidating the warranty. In the meantime we are relying on our expensive immersion heater for hot water and a multi-fuel stove for heating. It took a long time to get a plumber to install it. Rayburn said they were unable to recommend anyone and when I mentioned commisssioning then, before installation , they said get our local plumber to commission it using the check list on the installation booklet. Our plumber said he was not qualified to do that and it had to be commissioned by aomeone approved by Rayburn.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ray Noble

For anyone interested. It has now been 3 weeks since our range was installed and we are still waiting for it to be commissioned. We are pestering Rayburn and ringing them every other day. Last week they told us they had found someone who would contact us early this week. It's now Friday and we are still waiting. We rang Rayburn this morning and they said they would contact the man and ask him to make contact with us. We told Rayburn that we had been without heating or hot water fro 3 weeks and it was getting colder, and that we were going to fire it up today regardless. They told us that if we did that we would negate the guarantee. I would recommend to anyone else thinking of buying a Rayburn/ Aga in Ireland to think again. I can only think that they are suffering the same Irish tradesman problem that we have since we moved here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Some years back I installed a Stanley oil stove (not cooker) and I have to wait 6 weeks before I could get the plumber commissioned to do so. I would advise not to go near the cooker yourself - because it WILL negate the warranty and any upgrades which they may have for it in the future. Depending on the area you live, you will be waiting.

It is a pity they don't give a guarantee when selling their products that commissioning will be done within say, 2 weeks of purchasing. I had such a todo with Stanley when my stove broke down and I had to wait for this guy for 6 weeks during the bitter cold period to commission it. I eventually wrote to them stating that if there was a carbon monoxide problem, would they be responsible? The plumber came to me that week.

Also these plumbers taken on the job on a contract basis but it seems to me, they put their own private business first, even though they charge for the annual services - BTW you will have to get the same guy to service it as getting anybody who is not commissioned (phew!) will have implications if something goes wrong.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Ray Noble

Dear Suitseir,
    Thank you for taking the time to reply. It looks like it's extra blankets on the bed for a while then.

Ray

• Registered Users Posts: 32 debarran

I purchased a Rayburn 480K in 1998 and paid in excess of £3,000 for it, presuming it would last a long time. Sadly to say it is now gone beyond repair and the Rayburn serviceman told me to forget repairing it as it will cost too much for the parts and labour and I will only get a one year guarantee. Needless to say it is very disappointing and I got absolutely no satification from Rayburn, so my advice to anyone considering buying a Rayburn DON'T - look at Stanley and I've been told of another one that is cheaper and just as good is Sorn (google sorn oil ranges).

Advertisement