Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test next week, silly thing worrying me.

Options
  • 08-11-2007 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭

My test is next thursday. I have been driving approx 1 year on my first prov. I got 5 lessons before xmas and have been driving unaccompanied since then. I know i'm a novice but i also know that i'm a competent driver and i'm confident in passing (yet still very nervous about the test) I was determined not to pick up many bad habits, and i dont think i have but i'll be getting some pretests in before thurs. BUT the silly thing thats worrying me is:

my car has no windscreen washer tank lid. can i be marked down for that during the theory part of the test? i looked for a replacement but couldnt find one. can i just cover it with something? am i getting paranoid? doesnt this sound like the stupidest thing ever?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Dr Lektroluv

Hmm... I do know they are very strict in that if any warning lights come on the dashboard that's it - you're gone - they won't let you do the test. Can you not cover it with some plastic or something or make a temporary cap because they do ask you to lift the bonnet and point out where oil, brake fluid, windscreen washer, etc goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I'd be more worried about this! :eek:
    i also know that i'm a competent driver

• Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Your point? whats wrong with being confident in ones abilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

There's a big difference between 'competent' and 'confident' ;)

Many 'confident' drivers do not demonstrate that they are 'competent'.

Many 'confident' drivers cause death and injury on our roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I'd be more worried about this! eek.gif
    i also know that i'm a competent driver
    I too would also be concerned.
    There's nothing wrong with feeling confident but,
    unless you have done and passed the test, you cant "know" you are even competent enough to pass let alone be a good driver, you may think you are, fine, but that is a purely subjective view without any real proof.
    And before you commence along the usual obvious replies, some of the worst drivers on the road have never had accidents, (while it is a good sign, proving something by a non event is a dangerous supposition)
    Your mates/parents/dog may say you are great but unless they are qualified testers then their opinions may be equally as subjective or flawed as your own.
    In short, your assuredness of your abilities gives me no confidence in your competence.
    It makes me concerned that you may be incapable or unwilling to recognise that you have many years and miles of learning to go yet.

Once you pass then you will know that you were competent enough to Pass the driving test and now can really begin to learn to drive properly.

A comment on number of lessons, the average to pass in the UK is over 40 professional lessons, the average most people take here is probably less than a quarter of that.

By all means feel confident, but it pays to be aware of and recognise your faults. Everyone has them, no matter how good they think their driving is. Some fail to notice them, no matter how bad.

In the UK "The DSA have stated that it takes most people between 1 and 2 driving lessons with a qualified driving instructor for every year of a person’s life. Latest DSA statistics show that the average person took over 40 lessons and had an extra 16 hours private practice"
    And only 2.5% passed without a fault.

For your washer tank, if you cant find a suitable cap, use some plastic (bag) tied on with an elastic band to stop it sloshing out.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies. I have just taken my first pretest lesson and my instructor thinks i will have no problem passing. in fact his exact words were "i'd allow you to drive me anywhere" and commended my observation. I have picked up few bad habits, the worst of which is putting the car in neutral before the handbrake. I will be having 3 more pretests (one before the test)

My attitude to the test is to go in expecting that they want to fail me, and to do my best to prove them wrong.

wil wrote: »
    It makes me concerned that you may be incapable or unwilling to recognise that you have many years and miles of learning to go yet.

it would be very foolish of me to think that for one second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Thanks for the replies. I have just taken my first pretest lesson and my instructor thinks i will have no problem passing. in fact his exact words were "i'd allow you to drive me anywhere" and commended my observation. I have picked up few bad habits, the worst of which is putting the car in neutral before the handbrake. I will be having 3 more pretests (one before the test)
    My experience (and some people I know) is that (probably because they are unregulated) their standard varies greatly. I hope yours is fairly good and he knows what he is talking about. The best are mostly garda trained.

My attitude to the test is to go in expecting that they want to fail me, and to do my best to prove them wrong.
    Whatever works for you is fine.:)
    I doubt any of them goes to work just looking to fail people, they have a job to do making sure that the people they pass meet a certain standard. AFAIK they do get audited regularly so simply failing people for no reason is not likely.
    Why not Pass and dont prove yourself wrong:D
    Anyway good luck and when you do, 'well done' in advance.:)

Advertisement