Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non Residents Parking in our estate

Options
  • 08-11-2007 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭

I live in a small cul de sac near Dublin City center. There is parking outside for residents only (however a permit system is not in operation, just a sign stating 'Parking for residents only'). Over the few weeks the availibility of spaces has been at a premium as non residenst have been parking there during the week (its practically deserted at weekends). Seeing as there is not a permit system I was wondering what my rights are? Several times I go out and when I come back have no space. Am I entitled to report the matter to the relevant council or must I just grin and bear it? Just wondering where the residents stand on this issue.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 ✭✭✭Sarn

Unfortunately if it's a public road people can park on it. Very annoying. You could always see about getting permit parking implemented. A small fee may be worth getting a parking place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,669 ✭✭✭Colonel Sanders

Its not a public road, its a little cull de sac, estate type thing off a main road. If permit parking was to implimented would each house only get 1 permit each? Both my flatmate and I each have a car so we'd need 2 spaces. There is plenty of space for the actual residents of the area, its just that Monday to Friday its choked with people from rows of houses nearby and nearby workers with no free paking.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Quite often, older people in the area don't want a pay parking system.

Is it a public road or not? Cul de sacs are generally speaking public roads. Anyone is entitled to drive down them.

It could be (unlikely but possible) that you have some right over and above other people to park in the 'residents only' area. This would only be the case if the property was somehow owned by the owners of the properties rather than by the city council. If this is the case, you and the residents would need to figure out some way to manage the private parking area.

As regards multiple permits per house, it really depends on how much space there is. If there is space, the council will allow it, I think. There may be a higher charge for second and subsequent cars. You can find this out on the DCC website.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

We were in a similar position a couple of years ago, in the estate I live in, in Cork. People were parking in the estate and walking the ten minutes into town. In the space of a couple of months it became chaotic. There was a residents meeting held about the issue and the majority of people agreed that the only way to go, was to introduce disk parking. However there were a lot of residents against the idea too. The city council were approached and disk parking was introduced some time later. Here, each house is entitled to four parking permits and they cost €10 each per year, however I think it is different in each local authority area. We no longer have problems with non-residents parking in the estate.

Cul de sac may have been misleading, sorry. Basically there is a small one way road connecting 2 paralell (my spelling is shocking), main roads and there are houses off the connecting road (it forms a square with the houses along the edges of the square with car parking spaces in the middle). There is a sign up 'Parking for Residents Only' but have no idea if its an official county council sign or just put up by residenst themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

A permit system could be implimented. Contact Dublin City Council and they will advise you. A number of permits can be issued to each premises, up to four per household I believe.

The Council would need to have a look at the area and decide if its a high usage area or not. The higher the usage, the less permits that will be issued. Permits will cost you about 70euros a year as a resident, and you will be given guest permits to allow for parking up to 24hours.

Either the council take your money and regulate the parking, or the public take your spaces.

Give them a call and ask them what the options are.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Cul de sac may have been misleading, sorry. Basically there is a small one way road connecting 2 paralell (my spelling is shocking), main roads and there are houses off the connecting road (it forms a square with the houses along the edges of the square with car parking spaces in the middle). There is a sign up 'Parking for Residents Only' but have no idea if its an official county council sign or just put up by residenst themselves.

Sorry- its a public road- as opposed to private property owned by a Management Company. The sign was obviously put up by a resident, and has no standing legal or otherwise. Unfortunately any Tom, Dick or Harry has the exact sames rights as you or anyone else does to park there. Short of getting the council to implement disk parking, which would entail everyone paying, albeit at a lower fee for residents of the area, there is nothing you can do. You were lucky people heeded the sign as long as they did- because it has exactly no standing whatsoever......

Ah. This road is near a maternity hospital if it is the one I am thinking of. I am surprised the unmetered parking lasted as long there as it did. I live around the corner.

I would guess there is some reason connected to residents' concerns as to why DCC hasn't put down a white line already. You'd need to talk to the local information sources.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭sparkyjo

sorry but this obviously a public road and i really don't see why you are complaining when really you live in a place with out its own off street parking which was and is your own choice

people complain like this all the time and end up costing other people money i know this is not a lot of money but still why should you pay the council for road parking when you pay your road tax? if you live that close to town obviously you do it for work or such why do you need a car if it is that much of a bother to you give up your car

i don't mean to be so smart but do you own or rent this property cause if you are renting i think this type of thing comes down to your landlord he isn't renting you car spaces

Ah. This road is near a maternity hospital if it is the one I am thinking of. I am surprised the unmetered parking lasted as long there as it did. I live around the corner.

I would guess there is some reason connected to residents' concerns as to why DCC hasn't put down a white line already. You'd need to talk to the local information sources.

I remember when my friend moved in (this was before I was driving) I asked a neighbour if he needed a permit to park. He told me that the residents voted against permit parking (so surely its an option going forward to impliment it).

Must have a chat to a few of the neighbours as to what they think. Some of them have taken to double parking and blocking people in if they don't recognise the car. I don't agree with this practice for the record!!

• Advertisement

Some of them have taken to double parking and blocking people in if they don't recognise the car. I don't agree with this practice for the record!!

If they are double-parking and causing an obstruction the person who is blocked in can simply call the Gardai and get the offending cars towed. It is not private property- they do not have the right to block anyone in. I accept that its outside their houses- but their ownership ends at the boundary of their property- its not like an island that claims beneficial ownership of the first 40 miles off its coast (or 2 miles, if you're Ireland and give the rest of the rights away.......)

S.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

RTA 1994 (Section 49) Defines a public place as follows ;

"'public place' means—
    ( a ) any public road, and
    ( b ) any street, road or other place to which the public have access with vehicles whether as of right or by permission and whether subject to or free of charge;";

Secondly, signs purporting to assert authority are utterly meaningless unless they have a proper legal foundation. Indicating that parking on a public road is for residents only is a classic example.

That said, weekday parkers can create havoc in residential areas by the standard of their parking to a point where it is almost impossible to reverse out of your own driveway. Introduction of pay to park systems can clear a road within days !

Then of course you enter the "Why should I pay to park outside my house...." argument. People assume that they have a sphere of influence that stretches beyond the boundary of their property- when in actual fact a taxpayer from Eniscrone has the exact same right as a property owner has. A contentious issue is the causing of obstructions- however given the extremely poor driving and parking habits of a lot of drivers, someone could be quite discretely parked on the road and still a house owner might not be able to reverse out of their property.

I think lesson number one is to accept that you don't have any rights to the road outside your house and lesson number two might be to enroll in a driving school and learn how to reverse properly.......

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Aye, there's somewhat of the same issue in the estate I'm renting - people parking very badly on the path outside it, often making it difficult to get by if you're pushing a buggy or somesuch.
    What gets my back up is when they're driving down the footpath towards you...

That's quite a different issue. Parking shouldn't cause an obstruction like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

UrbanFox wrote: »
    That said, weekday parkers can create havoc in residential areas by the standard of their parking to a point where it is almost impossible to reverse out of your own driveway.
    It is illegal and dangerous to reverse onto a roadway, especially if there are children about, that you might not see when reversing.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Victor wrote: »
    It is illegal and dangerous to reverse onto a roadway, especially if there are children about, that you might not see when reversing.

illegal? I'd like to see you prove that Victor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

copacetic wrote: »
    illegal? I'd like to see you prove that Victor.

Best I can find in a 1 minute search is page 46/47 of the rules of the road:
    You must not reverse from a minor road onto a major road as it is unsafe
    to do so.
    (emphasis theirs)

Dunno if that strictly applies to a driveway though :)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Igy wrote: »
    Best I can find in a 1 minute search is page 46/47 of the rules of the road:

(emphasis theirs)

Dunno if that strictly applies to a driveway though :)

well it couldn't, they aren't roads, on a minor road obviously you turn around and drive out correctly onto the main road. Not many people can turn around in their driveway, and obviously to reverse in they would have to reverse from the road. Which if anything is less advisable than reversing out of your drive way. Seriously doubt either one is 'illegal' though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Victor linked to this thread elsewhere.

Colonel Sanders - Is this Wilson place/Hogan place where you're living? I remember years ago some bored residents had a chain from one side of the entrance to the other and only residents were allowed in. This was at a time when there was plenty of free parking around and the square was never full. That's about all that has been done to stop non-residents parking there.

My mam leaves at 7.30 every morning and there's a woman waiting there to take her spot all the time. If there's no space there we usually just park in front of another car. We don't even leave a note in the car.

On another note. The people that moved into the house with the gate on Hogan place got pissed off quick enough with everyone parking in front of their gate. The only reason they have a drive in is because the previous owners had a disabled child.

Anyway, just park in front of another car. If the neighbours don't know you you might have to leave a note in it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Some of them have taken to double parking and blocking people in if they don't recognise the car. I don't agree with this practice for the record!!

Happened to me once. Went to mass and parked in a cul-da-sac. Another person parked behind me, and just as I was about to leave another car pulled in beside the car behind me - blocking me. That person was a visitor of a resident and he was very arrogant and rude. The house he went to, his parents, tried to persuade him to move it but he refused.

Eventually the owner of the car behind me came and left, and so did I. Made a complaint to the local guards, was asked did I want to pursue the matter (as what he did was illegal) and I said a caution will do just fine. No idea if he did it or not, as the guard was off-duty for a week and never got back to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

just regarding the point re reversing
    the law - not the ROTR - says

12. (1) Before reversing, a driver shall ensure that to so reverse would not endanger other traffic or pedestrians.

(2) A driver shall not reverse onto a major road from another road.

(3) A driver shall not reverse from a place adjacent to a public road onto a public road save where it is clear to the driver that to so reverse would not endanger other traffic or pedestrians.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1997/en/si/0182.html#zzsi182y1997a12

Advertisement