Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Richard Ford & the Frank Bascombe trilogy

Options
  • 08-11-2007 8:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Recently finished reading The Sportswriter, the book that introduced the character of Frank Bascombe, the epomymous sportswriter. At times I thought I'd never finish it. Ford relates practically every thought that comes into his character's head over the space of an easter weekend. Unfortunately, most of the thoughts aren't that interesting and he spends most of the time making the point that while some people are "dreamers", others, including himself, are more "literal". It's not that original a theory without having to constantly reiterate it throughout the book. I had high hopes for the book before starting as there's two follow-ons in Independence Day and Lay of the Land. Just wondering if anyone has been similarly disappointed with Sportswriter but has found the next two books to be an improvement?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

I loved the Sportswriter (and the two follow-ups) so am not much help I'm afraid. But they are similar so if you don't like the Sportswriter, I probably wouldn't persevere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Yeah me too, finished the Lay of the Land recently, great read and a fitting bookend to the trilogy.
    Thought Independence day was a bit more accessible/lighter than Sportswriter.
    But really don't persevere if you didn't like it.
    I would definitely recommend Rock Springs by Ford, an early collection of short stories, if you want to experience a mastercraftsman in bite size!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭Mr. Bones

Yeah, might give Ford another chance in a while. Had heard great things about Lay of the Land, but didn't want to start with the last of the trilogy. Still i'd hate to start into that or Independence Day & find I still wasn't "getting" it, cos once i start something, i have to finish, no matter how close to torture it's like. Especially when there's so many books on my list of must-reads (which gives me an idea for a new thread....)

Advertisement