Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Lines and Pairgains

Options
  • 08-11-2007 9:20pm
    Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭

I had a new line installed today and there's a small white box on the pole outside my house now. I take it this means I've been pairgained or is there other small white boxes Eircom use to provide service that are not pairgain related? Is there not some regulation to stop Eircom using pairgains on new lines? I spoke with 3 different engineers before my line was installed insisting that I get a full line as the exchange is supposed to be upgraded soon and I'd want to get DSL. I will NOT be a happy bunny if I have been pairgained!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

LFCFan wrote: »
    I had a new line installed today and there's a small white box on the pole outside my house now. I take it this means I've been pairgained or is there other small white boxes Eircom use to provide service that are not pairgain related?

Well, there is a small white box on the pole outside my house (appears to have 4 outputs) & I am definitely pairgained.

A quick test would be to fire up the PC, hook the modem up to the phone line & see what speeds you get. 31.2kbs is the fastested I ever got, but at least it was better than the poor unfortunates who get 9.6kbs.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭zugvogel

When you dial up what's your connection speed in kbits/sec? If you're on a pairgain you can expect lower dialup speeds than if you had the full line to yourself. If you're getting in or around 40kbits/sec you're probably not on a pair gain.

Not sure what Eircoms obligations are in this regard. If it's not possible to give you a dedicated line due to lack of physical pairs at the every least they should inform you of this and let you opt out if you want. They also shouldn't be allowed to charge people full line rental in this scenario as well imo.

Zug

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

If ordered as part of a broadband bundle they should never pairgain the line because they KNOW its for BB.

They can't take a penny off ya if they did pairgain it, I doubt they did TBH.

• Moderators Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭LFCFan

It's a new house still under construction so I'll have to bring the laptop down and do a Dial up test. They gave me my number and it rings out so the lines seems to be active. Is there any chance that this box is something other then a pairgain?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Could be a standard junction box. Take a pic.

• Advertisement

Was just talking to the Engineer who installed it and he tells me it's a full line. Happy Days! (will still test just in case though)

Tested the line with a dial up connection and got 45.2Kb/s so deffo not on a splitter :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

That would be a perfect line at about 1.2 miles from the exchange LFCFAN

Unfortunatly we're 3.6 miles from the exchange so it'll be hit and miss whenever the exchange is upgraded. Hopefully they'll implement the longer range DSL to give us some chance of decent speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tonton-bob

LFCFan wrote: »
    Tested the line with a dial up connection and got 45.2Kb/s so deffo not on a splitter :)

How did you do that ?

I'd like to test my line to make sure I'm not back on a pargain ( since I have seen too many visits of eircom engineers on my pole ).

Is there a free irish 56k provider ( apart from the price of the local call of course ) ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

tonton-bob wrote:
    ( since I have seen too many visits of eircom engineers on my pole ).
    *snigger*:D
    How did you do that ?
    Just check the dial-up connection speed on your pc when connected. Double click on the 2 little computers (bottom left beside the clock) when connected and it will show your speed. If it's 32 or over you're not on a splitter.
    Is there a free irish 56k provider ( apart from the price of the local call of course ) ?
    Most ISPs have a pay-as-you-go service and are charged at the local rate per minute.
    Eircom - 1892 150 150. No username or password requires
    BT - 1890 924 042. Username and password is free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭tonton-bob

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Most ISPs have a pay-as-you-go service and are charged at the local rate per minute.
    Eircom - 1892 150 150. No username or password requires
    BT - 1890 924 042. Username and password is free.

that's exactly what i was looking for ! thx a lot :)

I'll keep my finger crossed :D

edit :

45.2 kb/sec

yes ! -_-'

Advertisement