Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Feel like I was ass raped...

Options
  • 08-11-2007 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Had to get new rear brake pads today.

Rang the dealers and asked does this job have to be done by them as the car is still under warrenty.

"Yes" came the answer. No biggie really, as although I'd rather have done them myself and saved the money but the warrenty is pretty important so I dropped it up.

Oh, its a Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi (with the lovely DSG gearbox).

Paid €120- for the job, €50- for the pads & €75- labour (1 hour :eek: ) plus VAT.

All seemed to go ok, but it took along time. However out comes the car and the manager explained that there was a problem with one of the lock nuts, which caused them problems but eventually it was removed.

But just awhile ago I noticed the alloy wheel is badly scratched and dented around the nut (I should have taken a pic for the thread).

If that happened to you guys would you expect/demand a wheel replacement?. (Silly question I know, but I'm pretty sickened at the moment).

I mean the damage would have been apparent to who ever done the job, but they still passed it out to me damaged.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I would absolutely demand a new wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

complain to the service manager that you met last time, mention that you haven't ever had to remove the alloys yourself, and that you remember he said they had trouble getting the locknut off.
    If they dont do anything for you, see the garage manager, if he can't help then get onto the distributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

What age is the car? If it's under warranty from new, I'd be surprised at the brake pads going so soon.

Second point is that by replacing the pads yourself the garage couldn't invalidate your warranty. Only thing they could hassle you about was something on the rear brakes. Nothing else.

Finally, you have every right to be annoyed and to a replacement of the wheel IMO. Sounds shoddy in terms of workmanship to cause the damage and also in terms of customer service / relations to treat you like a fool who wouldn't notice. (no personal disrespect intended by that last statement!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Avns1s wrote: »
    What age is the car? If it's under warranty from new, I'd be surprised at the brake pads going so soon.

That depends on the mileage, tbh.

Mairt, you've got an uphill battle on your hands. You're going to have to prove that the damage wasn't there before you left the car with them. I can see the scenario - garage will say 'it was like that when it came in to us'. Then it will simply degenerate into a "he said - she said" argument.

That said, I'd like to see a pic of the damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

The car is 17 months old. Always been serviced at the same dealer/garage so the only time the wheel has been off has been during a service.

There's not even a puncture in the tyre, incase they say the damage was done during a repair.

Thanks for the replies guys, your just reaffairing what I know. But I'm feeling a little annoyed at both the garage and for not checking the car in the yard before driving it away as I normally would.

• Advertisement

crosstownk wrote: »
    That depends on the mileage, tbh.

I agree but Mairt has just told us that the car is 17 months old.

I changed rear pads on a car a few days ago. There was 83,000 on the clock and there was easily another 10,000 left on the pads. So unless Mairt is doing colossal mileage......

Mairt, what mileage do you have?

Also was it for reasons of wear that the pads were changed??? Sorry for asking a seemingly obvious question.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I changed rear pads on a car a few days ago. There was 83,000 on the clock and there was easily another 10,000 left on the pads. So unless Mairt is doing colossal mileage......

FYI, Skoda rear pads have a life expectancy of 35-50k miles - driver dependent obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mairt, what mileage do you have?

Also was it for reasons of wear that the pads were changed??? Sorry for asking a seemingly obvious question.

From memory the car has just over 70 thou. kms.

The front pads where changed on a recent service and I was told the rear would need doing soon too. Then the other day I heard them rubbing and on inspection (looking through the spokes) seen their time was up.

Btw, should have mentioned. I've a fairly good relationship with these lads.

At the end of the day if they make it difficult for me I'll just change dealershiper and walk away from them. I won't lose sleep over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Mairt wrote: »

At the end of the day if they make it difficult for me I'll just change dealershiper and walk away from them. I won't lose sleep over it.

Doesn't sound like a fairly good relationship to me. make demands.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I wonder can the wheel be "refurbished", if you post pics here someone should know. If you get back to the garage and demand a new wheel you'll probably be banging your head against a brick wall. But if you suggest refurbishment as a compromise (with them paying) they might agree to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Just tell them they damaged the alloy and you want it repaired or replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

and see the Guards about the ass rape.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

a friend of mine had a similar problem with an Impreza that he bought in HB dennis, they fitted the wheels and lock nuts but the nuts were not the correct type for the car and when we tried to remove the wheel it stripped the thread out (1 week old car at the time) he went back up to them and they tried to blame him for not refitting them properly and fobbed him off, his english isnt great, so i went back up with him and kicked up a fuss about it (as it was me that removed the wheel to begine with), then he started to try bull**** me and all that but i told him to save it and sort the wheels out, then he brought out this fella that had originally fitted the wheels to the car and he had not used the right torque setting they should have been on, then torqued the rest of the wheels and said that they'd been over tightened, the rest were never removed and he shot himself in the foot.,lol they had to change the studs in all 4 wheels and they took the bill for it in the end., :D
    there wasnt any damage to the wheel in our case but i would advise you to get back in touch and dont take no for an answer, there always nicey nicey when your giving money to them and bas*a*ds whenyou have a problem.,.,;)

[QUOTE=Mairt;54381102

[/QUOTE]

They may want to make sure you're happy rather than lose a good customer so I'd certainly bring your displeasure to their attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

From memory the car has just over 70 thou. kms.

70,000 km is around 44,000 miles which is in the range crosstownk said for the life expectancy of Octavia brake pads.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Rang the dealers and asked does this job have to be done by them as the car is still under warrenty.

"Yes" came the answer.

That is untrue. Under block exemption regulations the work does not have to be done by the dealer. It is also illegal for them to tell you this.

Advertisement