Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can power steering fade over time?

Options
  • 08-11-2007 9:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭

I noticed today that my housemate's '96 Astra's power steering seems much looser and freer - and consequently better - than my '96 VW Golf's.

Basically, he can turn the wheel full circle using the ball of his hand easily; I can't.

Could it be that my car needs its steering belt replaced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

It could simply be the difference between the two makes & models. Lots of things affect steering - wheel size, pressure, driver, etc, etc......

Have you checked your PAS fluid level?

The belt also runs the alternator and possibly the coolant pump depending on the model variant. If it was worn it would most likely screech.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Every car's weighting is different....drive a Fiat Panda, you can turn the steering with your little finger. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

crosstownk wrote: »
    It could simply be the difference between the two makes & models. Lots of things affect steering - wheel size, pressure, driver, etc, etc......

Have you checked your PAS fluid level?

The belt also runs the alternator and possibly the coolant pump depending on the model variant. If it was worn it would most likely screech.

It does screech - but only when the wheel is turned fully in either direction.

Also, what is PAS fluid, what does it do, and where would I find it?

Furet wrote: »
    It does screech - but only when the wheel is turned fully in either direction.

Also, what is PAS fluid, what does it do, and where would I find it?

Is that a real loud, ear piercing screech or is it power steering 'whine' which is normal at full lock?

PAS fluid (Power Assisted Steering fluid) is hydraulic fluid that gives the 'assistance' as it is driven into the rack under pressure from a pump that is driven by the crankshaft pulley. It is located under the bonnet in a container with the symbol of a steering wheel on the cap (check your owners manual). The cap has a built in dipstick. If you do need to top it up in your VW then buy a tin of G002000 from your local VW dealer. Do NOT use 'standard' fluid from a motor factors (ATF) as it will p1ss out through the seals in your steering rack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

crosstownk wrote: »
    Is that a real loud, ear piercing screech or is it power steering 'whine' which is normal at full lock?

PAS fluid (Power Assisted Steering fluid) is hydraulic fluid that gives the 'assistance' as it is driven into the rack under pressure from a pump that is driven by the crankshaft pulley. It is located under the bonnet in a container with the symbol of a steering wheel on the cap (check your owners manual). The cap has a built in dipstick. If you do need to top it up in your VW then buy a tin of G002000 from your local VW dealer. Do NOT use 'standard' fluid from a motor factors (ATF) as it will p1ss out through the seals in your steering rack.

Crosstwonk, you are brilliant. Thanks a million! It's normal steering whine, and it needs to be topped up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I find the PAS in Opels always seems to be very very light indeed.

Stephen wrote: »
    I find the PAS in Opels always seems to be very very light indeed.

More recent Opels have an electric PAS pump rather than an engine driven pump. I'm not quite sure when they changed, but the electric pump seems light to me to.

Advertisement