Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does anyone know about this restricted license

Options
  • 08-11-2007 10:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Just passed the test on tuesday and received my shiny new drivers license today, but im being taunted by people about R plates and speed restrictions and having to be accompanied by another driver for 2 years.

I've searched the RSA website and cant find any info. Anyone else know anything?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

This is Ireland, it won't be done for another while yet, just look at how long the provisional licence thing has been put off for. You should be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

Its not in force yet but if you want to read more on the proposal look at the Strategy on the RSA website (Road Safety Strategy 2007-2012 page 89 - search for it under publications)
    You will get a full licence now not a restricted one so you will be ok.
    I assume its only once its in force that people get restricted 2 year licences but im only guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,286 ✭✭✭✭Esel

If the licence doesn't say 'restricted' anywhere (look at codes) then it probably isn't. Don't take my word for it though!

And congratulations, btw.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭dubambman

had another thought about this, if the government in their infinite wisdom do decide to restrict new licenses without issuing it as a separate license from a full unrestricted license, surely that would affect its status as an EU driving license. I couldn't imagine it being permissible to remove these mythical R plates once you hit hollyhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Moved to the Learning to Drive forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

At the moment it is possible to have a restricted licence but it is usually issued to someone who has done their test in a restricted vehicle.

Examples of restricted vehicles are vehicles with automatic transmission or vehicles which have been adapted to suit a driver's special needs. If a disabled driver does a driving test in a car which has a hand controller brake/clutch/throttle then they would not be licenced to drive an 'ordinary' car. Most Dublin Bus drivers would have restricted D licences as they would have passed the test in a bus with automatic transmission.

If you did your test in an ordinary vehicle then you will not have a restricted licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

There may also be codes on the licence/permit relating to specific requirements/restrictions
    eg
    must wear glasses, hearing aid, prosthesis, use adapted vehicle, renew after medical report.
    999 means must be accompanied by qualified driver.

dubambman wrote: »
    had another thought about this, if the government in their infinite wisdom do decide to restrict new licenses without issuing it as a separate license from a full unrestricted license, surely that would affect its status as an EU driving license. I couldn't imagine it being permissible to remove these mythical R plates once you hit hollyhead.

You will be fine - the restricted thing hasnt come in yet .
    The ides is that people will first get a drivers permit to allow them to learn to drive. They will get their test within a few weeks (ie no long waiting list) so should be able to pass their test quickly enough. Then when they pass that they get whats called a restircted licence for two years. After that they get a normal full licence. But you have a full licence so you need not worry about it and its still only a proposal and a strategic initiative not yet implemented.
    I would assume (only a guess dont know) that you cant go abraod with a restricted licence but I dont know. After all its not a full licence. But 2 years is a long time to prevent someone going abroad.
    You will get a full licence so you dont need to wory bout it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cazzy wrote: »
    They will get their test within a few weeks (ie no long waiting list) so should be able to pass their test quickly enough.
    They must wait at least 6 months after being issued with a first Learner Permit before taking a test.
    cazzy wrote:
    But 2 years is a long time to prevent someone going abroad
    Presumably you mean drive abroad! ;)

wishbourne ash correct on both accounts
    yeah you have to wait 6 months before sitting a test but they still hope to have the waiting list down to a few weeks so if you fail you shud get one pretty quickly again (I'II believe it when I see it)

They wont stop you going abroad, just driving abroad ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement