Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help for a complete novice port forwarding

Options
  • 08-11-2007 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭

Hi folks
    Hoping someone can help a complete idiot!
    I am running Vista and am with Irish Broadband.
    I have a netgear voice ATA thingy and a netgear router.
    I am trying to set up utorrent and its telling me a port is closed.
    Now this is where i don't have a clue what im doing:o
    I have looked a portforward.com and am still none the wiser.
    What i am stuck on is the static ip bit that i have to put into my router i.e the settings i have from Irish broadband subnet mask,gateway etc are different from when i type in cmd promt and type ip config.
    Hope this makes sense to someone,its driving me mad!!!!!!:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

So you have

Irish BB ---> Netgear WAN port --> PC

You want to port forward Utorrent - in the utorrent client (Go to Options > Preferences > Connections, uncheck "Randomize port") lock it to a specfic port number say 45682

Logon to the Netgear router and port forward 45682 to the ip address of you PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Cluster

Bros123 wrote: »
    Hi folks
    Hoping someone can help a complete idiot!
    I am running Vista and am with Irish Broadband.
    I have a netgear voice ATA thingy and a netgear router.
    I am trying to set up utorrent and its telling me a port is closed.
    Now this is where i don't have a clue what im doing:o
    I have looked a portforward.com and am still none the wiser.
    What i am stuck on is the static ip bit that i have to put into my router i.e the settings i have from Irish broadband subnet mask,gateway etc are different from when i type in cmd promt and type ip config.
    Hope this makes sense to someone,its driving me mad!!!!!!:confused:

http://www.bootstrike.com/Articles/BitTorrentGuide/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

The bit i am having trouble with is how to get the static ip address i need to put into router.
    As i said my settings on the booklet from Irish broadband are different from when i type in ipconfig into computer and get the settings which are from the router!
    I know this sounds complicated but im thick so it prob isn't!
    And thanks for the replies,maybe ye know how to help!

I recommend you call IrishBB and confirm your IP settings - They will tell you straight away.

Are you able to login to your router?

joePC wrote: »
    I recommend you call IrishBB and confirm your IP settings - They will tell you straight away.

Are you able to login to your router?

Yes Joe i can log into router.I have all my details from Irish BB but how to get this static ip to put into the router when im putting in the port number is where im stuck.

• Advertisement

OK so you need to go into the WAN port config and apply the IP details. What is the model no. of the netgear router?

Once you have that in test net connection from a PC or the ping utility on the router.

joePC wrote: »
    OK so you need to go into the WAN port config and apply the IP details. What is the model no. of the netgear router?

Once you have that in test net connection from a PC or the ping utility on the router.

Ok Joe,model is Netgear WGR614 v7.
    So what do i need to put in in the WAN port?and what do i need to check/uncheck in there?
    Sorry for being so dumb!if you dont mind i will PM you the details i have and you might be able to tell me what goes where.
    And thanks for the help so far.

OK, So your IBB connection is,

Attenna --> Black box --> LAN cable

Plug the LAN cable into the WAN port on the WGR614 - Plug your PC into one of the 4 LAN ports.

Then follow this guide: http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101667.asp

Here is the support page - http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wgr614v7.asp

Always good practice to upgrade the Firmware as well: http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d103088.asp

Once you have it working, here is the port forwarding setup:

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101145.asp#RP614Anchor

I know it looks difficult but once you understand the concept its very straight forward.

Cheers, Joe

• Advertisement

Ok Joe i got dynamic ip not PPoE as is on the guide.
    And the Ip that came up was 192.168.61.2
    subnet255.255.255.0
    Gateway 192.168.61.1

No DNS numbers just blank and when i tried to save it said i must enter DNS so im still on the connection i was on.

primary DNS: 62.231.32.10
    Secondary DNS:62.231.32.11

Well i rang Netgear to get help opening the port which is now open but the problem now seems to be (from the netgear guy) that the IBB alvarion modem is blocking the connection somehow?
    Has anyone heard of this or know what the problem might be?

Thanks for all the help.The problem was i also had to forward the ports on my netgear ata http://www.golem.de/0503/36619-ta612v.jpg
    I thought i was going to go mad trying to get it all set up!
    And i feel sorry for anyone having to deal with Netgear support,after explaining my set up they said i didn't have to forward any ports on voice ATA!

Advertisement