Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Build me a computer

Options
  • 08-11-2007 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭

Planning to sell on this build sometime soon, and build another machine.

Budget around €750 Euro.

This time I would probably intend going for an AMD processor over Intel (better value for money)

4gb RAM, GFX are not important, I play nil games.

Also planning on putting XP onto it.

Any suggestions would be very welcome...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

This time I would probably intend going for an AMD processor over Intel (better value for money)

Not really. The performance increase fron intels seems to be well worth the slightly higher prices. Do you really need 4GB RAM? Possibly no harm to go for 4GB as its fairly cheap these days - that said though , Im on 2GB at the mo and not gaming yet till my cards are here in a few weeks and I've no complaints.

I'd go Q6600 as you don't play games tbh, there'll be space in the budget for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I use the adobe suite of applications alot. Usually have a number of them open at the same time, hence the need for lots of RAM. After that its just music, movies, internet etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Antec Sonata 3 With 500W PSU €117
    Intel C2D E6550 €155
    GA-P35-DS3R €95
    OCX DDR26400 Gold 2*2GiB €180
    Western Digital Caviar 500Gb 8Mb Cache €82
    Any 8600 GTS €120
    Total: €749

Or you could consider a really cheap gfx card and spend a little bit more for a Q6600 processor, which i'd recommend, with your software.

(Edit: All prices from Dabs.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

With a decent chipset, would you be able to get away with integrated graphics?
    If not, probably best off buying something cheap & cheerful, like a HD2400 pro for <50.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

OCX DDR26400 Gold 2*2GiB €180

Is this really worth over €100 on top of the corsair TWIN2X CL4 (4-4-4-15) stuff?

• Advertisement

Taking into account recommendations this is what I have come up with

Any suggestions for improvement? Is a quad core really nessecary? its quite expensive...

DE457AC4B2D942EAA37D458F9861A20F-800.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭clearz

By the way your computer will only recognise 4gb ram if you have a 64bit CPU and OS. You will need XP64.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I think win xp can only use 2gig ram,unless you have a 64bit os.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

gamer wrote: »
    I think win xp can only use 2gig ram,unless you have a 64bit os.
    It's actually around 3.25 - 3.5GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Heya Neon-Circles. I've been window shopping for a new PC recently but will probably leave it until the new year to buy one. I may not be some fancy high-payed tech guy... but in the interest of saving you a few quid perhaps these will be sufficient for your needs:

EVGA nForce-650i Ultra - €94

Intel Core 2 Duo E6750 2.67GHz 1333Mhz Socket LGA775, 4MB - €175

Dabs.ie have the Corsair Memory 450W ATX PS/2 SATA 12V for €66.

I hear, from people on boards.ie mostly, that getting a quality power supply is vital. You're spending €215 on a case and power supply. Is that really necessary? I ask hoping that some of the regulars might be able to suggest a better value all-in-one solution instead.

Does anyone have an opinion of this case/power supply combo: ANTEC SONATA III. It's also available on Komplett - though slightly dearer.

Cheers, and I don't mean to hijack the thread for my own selfish reasons... not at all. ;)

• Advertisement

Generally I have found that the PSU's that may come with cases tend to be poor quality. Therefore I generally always buy a seperate one. Not to mention I am impartial to Corsair PSU's lol

Did this priceup on compuland.de......

7C665E94A5EA41B0912B14DF350FB6AC-500.jpg

Advertisement