Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad joke man

Options
  • 08-11-2007 11:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭

Since there seems to be a fascination on this forum with Galway street characters - e.g. KD, the man in black, radio man, Nora, Buttermilk Lane beggarwoman, etc - has anyone noticed a (afaik) new arrival this year, an English guy in his fifties who approaches people and tells stunningly bad jokes (for want of a better word) such as "Which two parties should you vote for? A Christmas party and your birthday party" or "When's the best time to be murdered? When you're asleep"? Maybe these are actually Zen koans or something, I dunno.

Also, ever noticed the woman who feeds pigeons?

Top busker in recent months: the guy who dresses like a cowboy and sings in what language I don't know outside the O2 shop opposite the bank on Shop St with a mic stuck in the front of his shirt. His singing style and the faces he pulls are amazing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've been approached by bad joke man once and seen bird woman. She spreads crumbs outside Dew Drop when we're all there having pints. Which of course brings loads of flying rats pigeons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Bad Joke Man is from Liverpool; living in Mervue. Use to be seen cycling the Coast Rd. He walks around blessing himself all the time. Harmless Chap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

i saw bad joke man in Oranmore before, in town, in Salthill and more recently out in knocknacarra... he manages to get everywhere...

came up with a gem the other day while we were in the pub watching the match, then golf was stuck on at half time.
    Q. who always gets the hole in one?
    A. a prostitute

his name is Paddy I think. he was a bit of a hero back when we were in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Frankieboy

Bad joke guy came up to myself and my girlfriend more than once. And he said "Yer being watched ye know! Yer watching each other" Pure gold

The guy should be on "The Panel"

The second time he tried that joke I answered him before he had the chance to say "yer watching each other" He wasn't very impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Lol no he doesnt like it when you remember the punchline
    sgthighway is right though, Harmless chap, But hes been around for years not so much a new arrival.

Who is "the man in black", who ever it is deserves a better title and why doesnt Flash get a mention :D He's still around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

I was thinking of Pat with the beard and the thousand yard stare who's always supping from a pint of Guinness and dances to buskers. Who's Flash?

I meant can of guinness, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭mike o

i gave him the punchline of one of his jokes once
    he then replied with this

"wanna see a good joke"
    "look in a mirror"

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Frankieboy

padraig71 wrote: »
    Who's Flash?

Howye boys.

padraig71 wrote: »
    Who's Flash?

Oh where do I start
    Flash (used to be called "Flash the Whino", but i never noticed his alchohol habbit), is a guy in his sixties who greets everyone with a "howya" in a high pitch voice and he wears a bra (Seriously).
    Harmless again and he certainly seems to get around

• Advertisement

Sounds quite hard to miss, surprised I've never seen him after six years in Galway…

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I recently met bad joke man out by Gentian Hill. I had headphones in and he looked like he was in a panic so I stopped and then he began...

"Where's the biggest farm in Ireland?"

"The Dail because they all act the goat"

Still 85% funnier than Maeve Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

He told me this one " Where does a dog go to buy a new tail? ......."To a retail shop"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Morbid.Angel

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Was just talkin to Air Guitar Pat, i told him about his little fan club here on boards and he was absolutely delighted. He can't believe he's a cult figure here in Galway, it brought a hugh smile to his hairy face :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Fletch123

Bird seed lady drives me demented. She leaves a pile of birdseed outside our apartment building which means that there are always loads of pigeons hanging around on our window sills and the balcony making a mess.

And she buys proper birdseed, not just scraps- must be costing her a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

I finally worked up the courage the last day to say hello to KD. He wasn't amused tbh. I've never heard of, or seen Bad Joke Man before though. Where can he usually be found?

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    I've never heard of, or seen Bad Joke Man before though. Where can he usually be found?

Well he lives in mervue so imagine thats where your most likely to see him. I noticed that goes for a walk through renmore on sundays. Ive mostly been approached by him outside the centra in renmore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    I've never heard of, or seen Bad Joke Man before though. Where can he usually be found?

you don't find him he finds you. he can be almost anywhere in a 10kilometer radius of the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Yeah anywhere.. met him in the cafeteria at college once he said " do you want to see a good match" i said " eh no" and he said " your face my arse" then he walked off chuffed to bits.

Nice bloke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Queen

The joke man used to ALWAYS be in oranmore! Once, when it was busy, he stopped in the middle of the road, blessing himself and praying..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Someone else on this site mentioined him:

Whats the biggest band in Ireland
    The government, their all on the fiddle.

ARGINITE wrote: »

Painted nails? I must have missed those

Nice find :)

Edit: From the previous ""strange people of galway" thread there was a link to a bebo page dedicated to flash. it has a video of him showing off :P
    http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=2437149801 (nsfw?)

Advertisement