Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Coupe 2009

Options
  • 08-11-2007 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Don't know if this has been mentioned before but seems Hyundai are getting their designs in order. Wonder if there interiors are up to scratch yet. The V6 300 hp version is dirt cheap aswell. This coupe design might actually shake the hairdresser image once and for all. Anyone else think the front looks abit like the Maserati Gran Turismo or am I just getting carried away.

Any hope the focus groups mentions they should use better interior fittings??

img_1135.jpg
    img_1166.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

they're getting there alright, drove the new i30 yesterday.
    Indicators and wipers are now the right way round
    keys are now flip keys and dont have the seperate remote fob
    stereos are now intergrated
    This car also looks decent too. that's 3 good looking cars in the lineup!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hyundai always seem to get the exterior design of the coupe nice (except the 2000 to 2002 model which is pig ugly). Next step is to improve on their interior styling and quality which seems to be an weak spot for most Asian car makers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

colm_mcm wrote: »
    they're getting there alright, drove the new i30 yesterday.
    Indicators and wipers are now the right way round
    keys are now flip keys and dont have the seperate remote fob
    stereos are now intergrated
    This car also looks decent too. that's 3 good looking cars in the lineup!

How do you mean the indicators and wipers are the right way around? - what constitues as the right way , indicator stalk on the left or on the right?

Flip keys - meh.

Integrated steroes - crap . Always end up looking tacky and cant easily swap it with an aftermarket one.

Car looks great (not very 2009 tho) - but can anyone validate the 300bhp claim? - hyundai have always been crap for power! the 2 litres were always dead to drive and the 2.7 V6 had a thundering 170 horses woooo . Id be praying more that they got their act together with regard to engines as opposed to interior fittings , then they would be onto a winner! (A name change from "coupé" would be nice too , like Tiburon in the USA)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I liked having the indicator stalk on the right when I had a Hyundai - made changing gears on roundabouts much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Wtf is with those rear windows? Arse end looks awful, those grooves down the doors look ****e and the nose looks like a mercedes design dept reject.

Rumours are that it'll be RWD so I may get one some day anyway.......

• Advertisement

Yeah to me thats the 'proper' side. You can change gear and idicate at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

another +1 for the proper side for me. love my old corolla for it. and all my dads previous Hyundais.!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

is that grey car an rx-8?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

The bottom car in the first pic has a very Ford Mustang look to the ass

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

bazz26 wrote: »
    Hyundai always seem to get the exterior design of the coupe nice (except the 2000 to 2002 model which is pig ugly). Next step is to improve on their interior styling and quality which seems to be an weak spot for most Asian car makers.

the problem with the coupe is that they are slow as fook even with the 2.7l engine, a quick one might help a little

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cyrus wrote: »
    the problem with the coupe is that they are slow as fook even with the 2.7l engine, a quick one might help a little

The Coupe was always aimed at style consious people on a budget rather than people with any sort of performance in mind. Even the 2.7 V6 was unmodified and straight out of the Sonata saloon and Trajet MPV. Only has something like 160bhp.

Looking at the photos posted above it looks like in America at least they are aiming for the Mustang and RX-8 market. To compete with these they will need a bit of muscle under the bonnet. With a decent lump under the bonnet and rear wheel drive they may be onto a winner. Of course the downside of this type of setup is that it is more expensive which will have to be passed onto the customer.

tc20 - It looks like a mustang because it IS a mustang

Cyrus and bazz26 - dunno if you read my post or not but you pretty much just repeated what i said.

Tack - yeah it is an RX-8 , i noticed that aswell , and the one to the right is a Mitsubishi Eclipse ... Id say they were comparing the huyndai to its main competitors :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

yeah its up again the mustang , rx8 , elicpse, accord coupe all american. yes it WILL come with a v6 300 bhp engine.

Engines are: 2.0L turbo with 215HP and 217 ft-lbs of torque, or a 3.8LV6 with 300HP and 280 ft-lbs.

Possible v8 on the way aswell. Should be known by next week or something.

interesting that there is no 350Z , as that would be the only one to beat it on power.

C_Breeze wrote: »
    How do you mean the indicators and wipers are the right way around? - what constitues as the right way , indicator stalk on the left or on the right?

Flip keys - meh.

Integrated steroes - crap . Always end up looking tacky and cant easily swap it with an aftermarket one.

I have had experience of selling Hyundais and those points given above were the main complaints people had of the cars.

Re: the indicators, one of my cars has indicators on the right, and it is handy, but as far as I know, all manufacturers selling cars in Europe will be changing their switches over to have the indicators on the left.
    Having them this way makes more sense for LHD cars, but seeing as 90% of recent cars have them this way, it makes sense for all cars to be the same.

Re: the stereos, there have been many break ins of Hyundais and Kias, people stealing the aftermarket stereos. the inclusion of a factory radio means items like ipod input low down in the dash and steering wheel controls can be included (as is the case on the i30)

Re: flip keys, the main improvement is that there isn't a seperate remote fob, which looks very outdated.

colm_mcm. yeah from a sales perspective it does seem to make a lot of sense, and you have to give the people what they want i suppose. Personally tho i would still preffer an aftermarket stereo as opposed to integrated.

... with regards to engines- a 2.0 turbo !! :eek: - now we're talkin :D

pretty much nobody is fitting universal stereos any more. they always get ctiticised in magazine reprts, and the majority of people like big buttons and displays, which very few aftermarket stereos offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭barryfitz

Stalks and radios aside. Im really liking the look of it!!! and if it comes with a thumper of a block I would seriusly consider one.

barryfitz wrote: »
    Stalks and radios aside. Im really liking the look of it!!! and if it comes with a thumper of a block I would seriusly consider one.

Yeah same here .... pity its still a huyndai coupe :o

yeah me thinks hyundai need a luxury brand. Have you seen the new barge starts with v that there trying to carry off against bmw x5 and lexus rx. Anyway back to topic can you not get the coupe in the USA full badged as a Tiburon or something being with T anyways. Saw one the other day and it had a T logo on the front and back . You wouldn't know it was hyundai.

Just full branded it a Tiburon GT, sort the interior and dont call it a hyundai. Seeing that they will now have cracking engines I think they should be on to a winner with the above formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Nah, its still marketed as a Hyundai in the US, but the model name is Tiburon rather than coupe. They build these cars for the "halo effect" - i.e. they're trying to increase the value of the Hyundai brand in the long term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

The hyundai Coupe doesn't seem to have caught on with the young, cool (male) car enthusiasts.

Whatever you call them, they'll still be bought by peroxide-blonde builders' mistresses...:D

drove a 05 one two weeks ago for a weekend, slightly sluggish (1.6) but nice handling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

C_Breeze wrote: »
    tc20 - It looks like a mustang because it IS a mustang

:o:o

I'll get me coat... sorry, i thought they were all slightly different prototypes of the new Hyundai Coupe in the pics..

Taxi!

This is their new TT concept competitor aswell?

Veloster4_m_m.jpg

Hyundai are producing decent engines at last. the 1.4 in the 130 is 109bhp. which is very good I think. it uses variable valve timing. Not very quiet, but a nice engine all the same. Hyundai have head hunted a lot of Toyota engineers and are trying to use the same suppliers too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Mailman

I doubt it is an accident that it looks like a US market Honda Accord Coupe.

If it is based on a Sonata chassis it should be a fairly good car and will undercut the Accord Coupe by a couple of thousand dollars.

They might be tempted to give it a Sonata name as well because the Tiburon name is doing nothing for the car in the US and will make the Sonata a bigger volume seller to get higher up the sales chart.

that tt competitor is horrid

I read more about it on HyundaiExchange.com and it appears Hyundai are looking to move further up market.
    It appears it will be available for less than 20K dollars which is 13700 euro and base car will produce 215bhp from a 2 litre turbo. It will supposedly be rear wheel drive which instantly makes it more appealing to their target audience. The larger V6 engine will produce 300bhp.
    low purchase price with absurdly long warranty term in the U.S. on a decent car makes it a pretty impressive proposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

215 from a forced induction 2.0? Even Chevrolet can do better than that ffs. 300bhp from the n/a V6 doesn't sound great either.

• Advertisement

215 from a forced induction 2.0? Even Chevrolet can do better than that ffs. 300bhp from the n/a V6 doesn't sound great either.
    for a GT type car as opposed to a sports car 215bhp is perfectly adequate and boost setting is something that the purchaser can worry about later.

300bhp - once again the people buying this car wouldn't be looking to compete with an M3.

Hyundai's main objective at the moment is to make decent quality cars that rappers don't deride in songs played on MTV.

The premium sports market comes later.

Advertisement