Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Coupe 2009

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

215 from a forced induction 2.0? Even Chevrolet can do better than that ffs.

Yeah but beloved Golf GTI's and audi TT's cant :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Mailman wrote: »
    300bhp - once again the people buying this car wouldn't be looking to compete with an M3.

If they're not looking to change markets with this car they're surely going about it all wrong. TBH - they've always been a woman's car. Not much show and not much go, but a reasonably attractive and reliable car for the money. Perfect for all the posers who want to look pretty in a spanking new 0x reg car.

By upping the performance they're going to up the cost to their consumers. Compare typical insurance quotes on a gen 5 2.0 Celica (~425 fully comp) to a turbo charged gen 5 Celica (~2000 tpf&t). Think of the increased fuel consumption from the turbo charged car. There's also the initial purchase price. RWD costs more to manufacture than FWD and a forced induction engine will need to be stronger internally. You're likely to be paying more for higher performance parts all around as well. Are the clueless poser market going to pay so much extra money for the extra performance?

On the other hand, are people looking for performance going to pay for that little bhp? What does a standard EVO9 put out now? 260bhp? That might be a bad example because of price but what's an Astra (whatever the hell the performance version is) Turbo? 220bhp? Sure you could modify the Hyundai but you're starting from a fairly low 'stock' power output. You're likely to have to spend bigger money to get good returns. I'd also be wary of buying a new turbo engine. I'd trust an engine from a company with more experience like Mitsubishi, Ford or Vauxhall more.

The V6 doesn't seem as bad a proposition but I'd still expect it to put out more power. If I'm paying tax on a 3.0+ I want a ****load of performance in return. I'd also question what the handling will be like on a RWD sportscar from a company with no history of building them.

When I first heard about the next gen Hyundai Coupe I was excited about the news. Who doesn't like to hear about a cheap RWD coupe? The more I hear the more I think they'll be a motor industry joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

Blitzkrieger - some good points and some bad.

Low stock power output? - i think you're tottaly wrong there. a standard EVO puts out 260bhp - whereas popular turbo cars such as Golf GTI and Audi TT's put out 200BHP from a 2.0 Turbo engine so 215 is good power whenyou put in into context - and also you say if youre gonna be paying > 3.0l tax you want S**tloads of power for the displacement? - Thats a preconcieved irish mentality as a result of our crap car taxing system. Look at VW 3.2 V6 engines from Phaetons and R32 Golff, etc etc - they only push out 250BHP . So you cant hold that against the new hyundai engines that our tax system is S**T

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

A '94 Celica ST205 was rated at 240bhp. A '96 Celica ST205H was rated at 255bhp. Ten+ years later Hyundai can't do as well? I'm guessing the GTi and the TT are de-tuned for economy more than performance. Maybe Hyundai aren't going for all out performance. Whatever the reason - 215bhp is pathetic.

I'd be comparing the V6 to a 350Z, where the 3.5L gives 306 bhp. It might not be much of a difference but it's still more hp for less displacement.

Advertisement