Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sony w200i or w810i?

• 09-11-2007 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi. im just looking for some advice about which of the above two phones i should buy. the w200i is sold for 80 and the w810i is going for 150, basically i know the specs are a good bit better for the 810 but is it worth paying the extra money for it? i like pictures but would not consider it to be essential although this could be because i have never had a phone with a decent camera, i have also never had a phone with an mp3 player which is one reason for going for these 2, is the 810 far superior in this respect or would a newbie like me be doing well with the 200? I really would appreciate your feedback on this one, ( plus is it possible to have 810s unlocked as i want to take it over to Europe and use another networks sim.)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭standbyme

I got the SE W810i after much deliberation & posted in Bargain Alerts a while back on a bargain phone with great features.

So I was in the same boat as i wanted to upgrade my phone as i had the standard Nokia 6610 for about i think 10 yrs? & never had a mp3/camera phone combined, so if you want a phone to last for a good while you might as well go the extra mile & what really clinched it for me as well its got 512MB memory included, cant go wrong there compared to 22MB on the w200i

Have you been on this site to compare the specs:

w800i v w200i

It also saves me from borrowing my brother's Ipod Shuffle, he got it free on a Motorola billphone years ago.:D

Although if someone could answer this for me instead of postin a new thread, the memory says 512MB but in the phone it says 462MB?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

There's already stuff on the phone using up memory - preloaded ringtones graphics etc.

eamon234 wrote: »
    There's already stuff on the phone using up memory - preloaded ringtones graphics etc.

Thanks for that, i should av realised :rolleyes:

Also avalanche, there' a post at bargain alerts bout Meteor PAYG phones

w810i is now e139

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Its only worth it if you want a camera and mp3 player on your phone. Only you know that.
    I have a 810 and use the camera (2mp autofocus) a lot. Don't use the MP3 or radio that much. I think its worth it for the camera. I got mine as an upgrade though.

Well it was a big change for me network as well 02-meteor getting used to a phone, as i'll use the radio/mp3 player on the bus & bring a portable charger with me (you can get those in the Euro shops)

Im still gettin used to the camera with all the different modes, but it'll be fun getting used to it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I would recommend W810i all the way. Couple of things which spring to mind instantly are better quality screen, better build quality, better battery life and more responsive keypad.

Then you've got the improved camera also.

Not sure what you're looking for though, k800i is down to €149 on Vodafone if you could stomach such a move ...

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭avalanche

hi thanks very much for that., so people think it is better to pay the bit extra in the long run? also is it easy to have this unlocked.thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I think the 810i is a great phone. Lots of features and great battery life. Texting isn't quite as good as nokia, and a bigger screen would be nice. Thats the only grumbles I'd have with it.

nice one, im going to go for the 810i. does anyone know if this is easy to unlock>? i went to a dodgy shop and they said it could be done for 20. does this sound about right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭laoisfan

avalanche wrote: »
    nice one, im going to go for the 810i. does anyone know if this is easy to unlock>? i went to a dodgy shop and they said it could be done for 20. does this sound about right?

in my experience nokia phones are generally easier to unlock than sony-ericsson.
    that said, yes it should be possible to unlock the SE W810i. only problem usually i have noticed that if the unlock with an SE phone goes wrong then the whole phone is wiped clean :) just my experience :rolleyes:

btw i currently have an SE W810i and i have to say it is a very good phone.

--laoisfan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

laoisfan wrote: »
    in my experience nokia phones are generally easier to unlock than sony-ericsson.
    that said, yes it should be possible to unlock the SE W810i. only problem usually i have noticed that if the unlock with an SE phone goes wrong then the whole phone is wiped clean :) just my experience :rolleyes:

btw i currently have an SE W810i and i have to say it is a very good phone.

--laoisfan

The old generation of nokias are quite easy to unlock using an online calculator - no cables required. The new generation as are hard as the recent SE's to unlock.

avalanche wrote: »

Let me see if i've got this right, as i've got the unlock codes from a few phones in the past from the phone provider & you only send the phone away or get someone you know to do this! if you've put the code in wrong a few times!

Assuming you already got the phone codes to unlock yours?

eh? not sure if im with you there.

i dont think the provider will give me the unlock code as its a prepaid phone - ive been told you have to spend up to a years worth of time and credit on the phone before they will consider it, plus i dont really trust myself to do it right as ive never done it before unless it is that easy?

is it as easy as getting the code and instructions from the internet and typing them in? dont want to make a mess of me new phone though.
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Vodafone/O2/Meteor will generally give you the unlock code once you've spent €100-€150 in credit.

Advertisement