Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Windows Icons

Options
  • 09-11-2007 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

I want to use the windows xp icons in an application i'm working on... does anyone know if and how these icons can be got? ie. from the system

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

A lot of them reside in a file called shell32.dll in the c:\windows\system32 folder. (as has been the case since windows 95 i believe).

It's been a while since I toyed around with it, but this app should let you extract the icons: http://angusj.com/resourcehacker/

You'd want to watch yourself for copyright if you plan on distributing the application.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭juror

Thanks for that, the program works a treat.
    I'm aware that copyright issues may arise from using the icon(s), but this program is only for personal use.
    I can find most of the icons i want in the shell32.dll folder, and a couple from internet explorer ... do you know of any other locations from within windows where other icons are stored?
    In particular i'm looking for a change user icon ... like when you open control panel and the icon thats used for user accounts (in category view). I'm trying to find that one but i can't locate it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

do a print screen and capture it that way it's very similar to .bmp so easy enough to paste into an icon editor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICO_(icon_image_file_format)

copyright extends to personal use, it's patents you can use for yourself

not sure if fair use applies here, but you could certainly modify the image to make it similar but different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

There may be a file in the same folder caller MORICONS.dll . I'm not sure if it made it as far as XP, but it was in the versions before that AFAIK. It contains a load of icons from the 3.1/95 era if they're any use you you ;)

Also, run ResourceHack on the standard windows exe files such as explorer.exe. A lot of these exes will contain lots of icons and bitmaps.

I don't actually know where the change user icon should be, it may be embedded within the .cpl file for user settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

not sure if fair use applies here, but you could certainly modify the image to make it similar but different
    If anyone complains about copyright, OP could argue usability - users will be familiar with the icon from another area of Windows.

• Advertisement
Advertisement