Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query bout BA Comp Sci...

Options
  • 09-11-2007 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey folks,

was just wondering something bout my course... It's a 4 year deal, my arts subject (history) takes 3 years and the final one is just comp sci... So does anyone know, do I have 2 graduations or somethin?

And say I didn't finish my final year, then would I still have a history degree? Or do I have to finish the final year to get an overall 'history and computer science' degree? It's a joint major.

Also in that case, would I have any kind of qualification in computer science? A diploma?

Any final year (or graduates) wanna tell me what's the last year like? Hard as fook?

Just looking at the oul' options... A history degree is still a decent qualification, but it would be a bit silly doing 3 years of computer science only to not finish the final year.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Hey folks,

was just wondering something bout my course... It's a 4 year deal, my arts subject (history) takes 3 years and the final one is just comp sci... So does anyone know, do I have 2 graduations or somethin?

And say I didn't finish my final year, then would I still have a history degree? Or do I have to finish the final year to get an overall 'history and computer science' degree? It's a joint major.

Also in that case, would I have any kind of qualification in computer science? A diploma?

Any final year (or graduates) wanna tell me what's the last year like? Hard as fook?

Just looking at the oul' options... A history degree is still a decent qualification, but it would be a bit silly doing 3 years of computer science only to not finish the final year.

I doubt you would get a single history degree becaase a single honours History Student does 60 credits of History in Stage 2&3 whereas you only do 30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Hey, you should email the BA CompSci Coordinator with your question: john.dunnion@ucd.ie

I'm in 1st year so can't really give you any info on the latter years haha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

karmabass wrote: »
    Hey, you should email the BA CompSci Coordinator with your question: john.dunnion@ucd.ie

I'm in 1st year so can't really give you any info on the latter years haha

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm in 2nd year and I don't know either. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I've had a mate who did BA Comp Sci, he didn't have a graduation after 3rd year.

As far as I'm aware you get a Ordinary Degree in Science once you've finished three years, but because you're BA Comp sci it may be different.

However in saying that the last year is to make your Degree a BSc Comp Sci so you may get a degree.

Just my musings...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cheers Steph

But Comp Sci is taken as an arts subject, so as far as I know I couldn't get a BSc at all (even with the final year). I take less modules than the BSc students.

Do you know if your mate would have had a (what his other subject was) degree after his 3rd year...?

I'll get onto the programme office, was just gonna see if others knew

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Cheers Steph

But Comp Sci is taken as an arts subject, so as far as I know I couldn't get a BSc at all (even with the final year). I take less modules than the BSc students.

Do you know if your mate would have had a (what his other subject was) degree after his 3rd year...?

I'll get onto the programme office, was just gonna see if others knew

I'm pretty sure he got the BSc after his fourth year - he did his full thesis and stuff.

I actually think you may graduate a BA Comp Sci - another mate of mine did that after third year. The fourth year is the optional add on year. It's the same with Comp sci - the fourth years is just for the honours degree.

From the UCD website - dunno if that helps:

Mapping Your Degree
    The degree takes four stages. In Stage 1 you will select two BA subjects to complement Computer Science. In Stages 2 and 3 you will continue with Computer Science and one other Arts &Human Sciences subject. At the end of Stage 3 you will complete your degree in the selected Arts subject and concentrate on Computer Science in your final stage.

Once you have mastered the foundations of Computer Science you will be able to delve into areas such as Software Engineering, Symbolic Programming, Database and Information Systems, Software Design and Development, Artificial Intelligence and Networks and Internet Systems.

In Stage 4 you will complete a substantial project in addition to modules on, for example, Graphics and Image Processing, Intelligent Internet Systems, Multimedia Technologies and Cognitive Science.

Enlil_Nick wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it. I'm in 2nd year and I don't know either. :(

Out of interest, what did you choose at the end of 2nd year? Major/Minor, Joint Major or Single Subject Major?

I'm thinking of doing Single Subject, but would guess it's pretty uncommon..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I'd be fairly interested in seeing what the programme office have to say if contacted...I'm in third year now and don't really know what the story is :rolleyes:

I emailed them yesterday, I'll let ye know if/when I hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

karmabass wrote: »
    Out of interest, what did you choose at the end of 2nd year? Major/Minor, Joint Major or Single Subject Major?

I'm thinking of doing Single Subject, but would guess it's pretty uncommon..

Well I'm not at the end of 2nd year quite yet, but I think ( :( ) I'm i'm a major/minor at the moment, with CS as the major and Spanish as a minor.

• Advertisement

Sorry I meant 1st year!

Hey folks,

for those who are interested..... I emailed the programme office and our student advisor, and after much ado, it was forwarded to John Dunnion (didnt think to contact him in the first place).

Here's the reply:

First of all, as you know, the programme is four years long. You are
    correct, in that you do Computer Science and (in your case) History in
    Stage 2 and Stage 3 and just Computer Science in Stage 4. By the end of
    Stage 4 you will have an BA (Computer Science) degree in Computer
    Science and History and that would be the normal way to complete this
    programme. However, progression from Stage 3 to Stage 4 is not
    automatic: not only have you to obtain the required number of credits,
    but you have to obtain a minimum GPA based on the results of the
    assessments of your Stage 3 modules. It has also been the case in
    previous years that some students have chosen to leave the programme at
    the end of Stage 3, for example to pursue postgraduate studies in their
    other Arts subject. In both those cases, you would obtain a BA degree in
    Computer Science and History (as opposed to a BA (Computer Science) degree).
    The School would always recommend to students that they complete the
    four years, as we believe that the amount and detail of Computer Science
    that is covered in Stage 4 is considerable, and students do a major
    project in Stage 4 which we believe is very important and highly
    beneficial. We would also believe that it improves students' prospects
    when looking for a job or a postgraduate position (in Computer Science,
    at any rate). However, we have never insisted on students completing the
    four years (and probably couldn't insist, anyway). So, if you have given
    it due thought and consideration and talked to Ms O'Hanlon and/or me and
    you still don't want to do Stage 4, you simply write to the School and
    the BA Programme Office, informing us of your decision.
    However, this decision doesn't have to be made until the end of Stage 3
    and we would recommend that you postpone any decision until then.
    If there are any other specific questions you have or issues that you
    want to discuss, I recommend that you talk to Ms O'Hanlon.
    Alternatively, I will be back in UCD during the week before Christmas
    and you can send me an e-mail to make an appointment to meet then. I
    will also be around for all of Semester 2.

That clears it up greatly for me :) And it's good to hear too! I don't have much intention in doing the final year now, so (assuming I get the f*cking head down and actually PASS my exams) I should be finished my degree a year early! :D:D:D:D

Happy days

I replied to ask for clarification on the different degrees, and about graduation, but it's pretty much cleared up.

Cheers folks

Thanks for that!

On paper, the extra year simply gets you a set of parenthesis from what I can see :D

BA Computer Science & History
    VS
    BA (Computer Science) and History

Cheers for that Dave, t'is good to know.
    I wonder what the minimum GPA to get into 4th year is...Perhaps the same as the denom GPA requirement, which I hear is around 2.6 or so?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Gogo scraping into 4th year by the skin of my teeth :

(I'm BSc denom - I needed 45%, finished 3rd year with 47%... none of this newfangled GPA rubbish!)

Will probably see some of you guys around next year :)

FYI, I asked him about the difference between the two degrees, and about graduation, and this was his reply:

There are two main differences between the BA and the BA (Computer
    Science) degrees. The first, and possibly more trivial, is the "Computer
    Science" part, although an examination of your transcript will show that
    you have done more Computer Science in the BA (Computer Science) degree.
    The second, which will again be obvious from an examination of your
    transcript, is that the BA degree is a 180-credit degree while the BA
    (Computer Science) degree is a 240-credit degree. AFAIK, there is a bit
    of an anomaly here, as both degrees are classified as Level 8 Honours
    degrees according to the National Qualifications Framework. However,
    there is obviously a difference between them and UCD would not be unique
    in Ireland in offering both 180- and 240-credit primary (Bachelor) degrees.
    I wouldn't say that the fourth year/Stage 4 is "redundant", as there is
    that difference between the 180- and 240-credit degrees (60 credits!).
    However, you are correct, in that if entering into postgraduate studies
    in Computer Science or work in the IT industry is not part of your
    plans, then the fourth year is unnecessary. In fact, I alluded to that
    in my previous e-mail, as the main reasons that students have in the
    past requested to leave the programme at the end of 3rd year/Stage 3 are
    to pursue studies in their other Arts subject or to follow another
    interest that they have.

Yes, you would graduate as normal. The graduation would take place in
    the normal conferring period in the December of the year you complete
    Stage 3. As for the group with which you would be conferred, it would be
    the BA class, not the BA (Computer Science) class.

Top marks for replying the second time so quickly!

2nd BA Comp Sci

There's a Lab on on Monday, should I take it that it's not on, yep?

Other than that, my Monday is free.... for now, anyway ¬_¬

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

What subject? Some subjects are lab only (rare) others you obviously need lectures for first :p

tis Data Structures & Algorithms II -- I assume that's lecture first, yeh?

Shouldn't be any pracs for the first week of that, no.

• Advertisement

Cheers. Ya think Software Engineering Project II will have a tutorial this week? There's one at 4 today (by my calendar) :(

There might be Dave. Last year (i had to repeat 1st year SEP) there were no lectures, only labs/tutorials.

Cheers Owen. I haven't picked my time yet, but there's one at 4pm today (and I wouldn't be in except for that!), or else on Thursday (which would be after a 4 hour break!). So tempting to put it off until Thurs:D, but I might as well just bite the bullet :(

Thanks

BTW, how hard is the module? :o I'm gonna have to get the head down this semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Anyone know if Inrto to Programming II practicals start this week or next week? Want to know if I can go home early on Wednesday.

I'd imagine next week Raphael but you'd need to ask in lectures :p

Dave: The repeat 1st year SEP was muuuuch easier than Joe's that we did in 1st year. Was 2hrs a week and was actually fun. Hopefully that will continue this year :p

Are you doin SEP2 this semester then...? ¬_¬

Like were ya able to repeat SEP1 whilst in 2nd year doing those modules? Or could you not go onto 2nd year til you passed SEP1?

Good to hear it was easier though... Can you believe I still don't know what the f*ck a cellullar automatum is? :( lol.

This project sounds pretty tricky though. We've to program a Commodore 64 game called 'Thrust'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Yeah...makes me wish I'd gone to the lecture this morning.... ^^;;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Whelo10

Oh God...Joe isn't still doing Cellular Automata is he?? I repeat SE 1 when i was in 2nd year and it was gr8, there were no lectures just practicals every week...was good craic as well! I highly recommend not missing any of those practicals...things can get awfully depressing if ye fall behind!!

Like were ya able to repeat SEP1 whilst in 2nd year doing those modules? Or could you not go onto 2nd year til you passed SEP1?
    I could do 2nd year but not sep2 so i gotta do that this year.
    Good to hear it was easier though... Can you believe I still don't know what the f*ck a cellullar automatum is? lol.
    I don't either :p

• Advertisement

I think it's one of those things that we're not supposed to understand... like quantum physics...

"If you think you understand cellullar automata, you don't understand cellullar automata"

Advertisement