Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query bout BA Comp Sci...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭remus808

Sounds like fun.. Did anyone do SP 1? Did you have to do a Robocode bot? Seems a bit odd!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 conor563

Would anyone be able to tell me if you can transfer to the full Computer Sci after year one from this course. I can't do the full course cos I don't have a lab science subject or would the science content of the full computer science be too hard for someone with no prior knowledge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

One of my friends switched the denominated Comp Sci at the start of second year. As far as I know, you just have to take a few extra maths modules. The arts course doesn't deal with the hardware aspects, but otherwise there isn't much of a difference apart from the maths you'd have to take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Hey folks, just a bump here....

I got an email a few days ago from John Dunnion basically saying that, because I'm doing a joint major (Comp Sci, History), I need to take 6 CS modules (30 credits) this stage (when I was originally doing 5). The structure is different to that indicated during the registration process (ie. 5 modules from each, and 2 electives). So I need to take a CS module as an elective!

Anywho, then it emerged that I should have done 6 CS modules last year also, whereas I had only done 5 (I did not do 'Discrete Maths' with Henry).

*panic starts!*

Well I met with John today and it turns out I only need to have 60 credits in Comp Sci if I want to go on to stage 4, which I do not want to do! So I don't need to have done Discrete Maths. I actually don't think I have to do 6 CS modules this year either, but I'll clarify that before I drop the one I took on for semester 2 :)

So in summary! For those doing a joint major BA Comp Sci, if you intend on going into stage 4, make sure you're doing/have done 6 CS modules (30 credits) in stage 2 and 6 CS modules (30 credits) in stage 3!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Dave! wrote: »

So in summary! For those doing a joint major BA Comp Sci, if you intend on going into stage 4, make sure you're doing/have done 6 CS modules (30 credits) in stage 2 and 6 CS modules (30 credits) in stage 3!

I got this e-mail too.
    Its a bit late to send this around now that I've only done the 25 credits worth in second year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

That's a bit ridiculous :eek:
    What are they going to do about it for the BAs who do want to do stage 4?

Yeah it's stupid alright. He said himself that it was the college's fault because they weren't able to communicate the situation to students (have no clue how that could be a problem... ehh email!!!). Initially he conceded that I might not have to take last year's module, but then shortly after changed his mind -- so it seems that there is some wiggle room.

Anywho, he did say that if I do want to go onto stage 4 that it will be a matter for the school or whatever, and it might not be all lost. They just have to decide if you should be allowed to progress or not. I don't see how they could deny you a place considering it's their own f*ck up and not our fault.
    Frisbee wrote: »
    I got this e-mail too.
    Its a bit late to send this around now that I've only done the 25 credits worth in second year...

Well you can take the module you didn't do as an elective in 3rd year, if you're so inclined! So you'd be doing 7 Comp Sci modules in stage 3 instead of 5 (as I'm currently doing). Michael is being screwed over by it too actually, so he's actually doing 7 Computer Science modules this year.

Michael is being screwed over by it too actually, so he's actually doing 7 Computer Science modules this year.

Poor guy, dont think I could hack that... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

It's still monumentally stupid to ask students to take a course that they should have been told a year ago to take as one of their electives. Given that there are no elective choices in 4th year (45 credits of CS classes/15 credits project) that basically means that they're saying "OHAI. No electives after 2nd year." Goes against the principle of Horizons really.

Also, I never had to do that course \o/

Frisbee wrote: »
    Poor guy, dont think I could hack that... :P
    No, me neither! I was planning, if he said to me today that it's compulsary, to just take whatever qualification I could get without the module! If it meant I had a minor in Comp Sci, then f*ck it that'd be grand...

I would lose my mind!

• Advertisement

No, me neither! I was planning, if he said to me today that it's compulsary, to just take whatever qualification I could get without the module! If it meant I had a minor in Comp Sci, then f*ck it that'd be grand...

I would lose my mind!

Im just gonna stick with the three years then so... :p

Advertisement