Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows Media Player 11 - Windows Validation

• 09-11-2007 1:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭

I downloaded WMP 11 not too long ago but when I went to install it - it said it needed to "Validate" my copy of Windows (using Windows XP Professional 32-bit OEM).

This is a fully paid up installation with license, already activated and all that, but I don't know if I have WGA - I think the updater wanted to install it some time ago but I refused it several times, though I don't know if it later slinked in on an Automatic Update later on.

What exactly is involved in the "Validation" procedure that WMP wants to do? In particular, is there any serious examination of OEM conditions in OEM installations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

Basically it just wants to make sure that the copy of Windows that you are using is a legitimate one and not a copy that you borrowed off a mate or downloaded from torrents or whatever. If you got your with the computer then you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

M$ want to spy on You to see how your using your OS.
    WGA is spyware of the worst kind :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭SeanW

Thing is this is an OEM windows that I bought with my new home-build PC almost two years ago now and I've made a few changes to the hardware since then. So I'm particularly interested in what if any OEM condition checking occurs with WMP "Validation."

Advertisement