Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading my comp

Options
  • 09-11-2007 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hey i got a dell 8400 series and im going to upgrade my grahics card to (XFX GeForce 8800GT 670M 512MB PCI-E) and ram to 4GB. At the moment i have a 350W power supply and will prob need loads more power.
    What i need is someone to recommend me somewhere to buy a new power supply and what power would do. would like the cheapest price possible ofcourse but if i have to spend a little more i will.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

You'll be wanting about 500-600W of power for those. Check:

Komplett
    HWV
    Dabs
    Overclockers

Shop around see what prices there are. Most PSUs will fit your case I imagine, and reputable brands include Thermaltake, Hiper, Corsair etc - remember in most cases you will get what you pay for ;). I don't know how hot those cards run, if it's high you may need to see if your case has enough cooling...others here will have opinions on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Jamtoast

Those other sites should really help, wasn't sure other than komplett where to look.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Corsair 520 Watt should be plenty. Top quality and modular connectors.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Make sure your board can take 4gb of RAM before you buy.
    Dell make custom boards for a lot of their builds which are usually restricted to what you've ordered in the first place.
    I was going to upgrade my Dell a while back but it was more effort than it was worth so I just bought a whole new machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Are Dell still doing that thing where their PSUs are not "true" ATX-spec, and you cannot stuff in a majority of PSUs?

Also, 8800GT spec is 400W+ PSU, so 450-500W (quality) is good.

• Advertisement

thanks for all the responses.

my comp can take the 4 gigs for sure, crucial.com is great, cheap and has quick and great delivery. can tell you how much ram your comp can take. i bought 1GB of ram from them in the past and it was great, so if anyone ever wants to get ram you should go there. :D

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Are Dell still doing that thing where their PSUs are not "true" ATX-spec, and you cannot stuff in a majority of PSUs?

i think so kinda annoyin, from pics online it looks like i will have to cut some of my case away to fit the power cable to the PSU.

Advertisement