Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Impending Consultative Panel

Options
  • 09-11-2007 2:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭

My postie must be hoarding the questionaires posted to me by the shooting organisations that I pay a subscription to e.g NARGC, CAI asking what I want sorted in the new firearms legislation.

Have they asked us, their members, what we want, or do we have a say :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

My postie must be hoarding the questionaires posted to me by the shooting organisations that I pay a subscription to e.g NARGC, CAI asking what I want sorted in the new firearms legislation.

Have they asked us, their members, what we want, or do we have a say :confused:

If they've been properly representing you then they should already know. But seeing as everybody reads boards, maybe you should remind them here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

OP is a gentle reminder ? :D

Midlands Range has a seat and all queries suggestions to be submitted to JP Craven (as per notice in clubhouse). Now that's what I call looking after you're members !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

The Midlands Range itself is represented on the panel ???????

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

If they do, at least they will represent centerfire pistol and revolver. (I assume anyway, as they run IPSC and PPC1500 there)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

I believe the seat that JP has is to represent the NRAI and not just the MNSCI. From what I know of JP, he is a very fair man and will represent and stand up for all types of shooting sports, not just centrefire fullbores. I delighted to see his name on the panel.........

Bye the way, the MNSCI or the NRAI do not run any, or have an involvement with IPSC shoots.

They allow / rent the pistol range to the IPSA for their shooting event..........

So:

NTSA
    SSAI
    NARGC
    MNSCI
    NRAI
    IPSCA?

Is that who has been invited?

So:

NTSA
    SSAI
    NARGC
    MNSCI
    NRAI
    IPSCA?

Is that who has been invited?

I think it's the NRAI or MNSCI, not both. Who's the IPSCA?

And you can add CAI to that list (Countryside Alliance)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭V Bull

Don,t know, never heard of the IPSCA before !!!! :confused:

Sorry - ICPSA, the clay pigeon crowd, I presumed that they got a seat as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Has anyone heard how the preparations are going?

Have any of the invited bodies produced a position paper from the perspective of the "shooters" - lobbied their members on their concerns?

We see a lot of statistics produced in the Dail on stolen legally held firearms - the statistics invariably are quite thick grained "rifles", "shotguns", "others" - have any of the bodies countered this with their own statistics breaking it down into useful numbers such as the number of firearms stolen from secure storage, the number of firearms stolen while a monitored alarm was installed. The number of firearms stolen in an incomplete state (bolt or barrel removed) - number of firearms stolen from garda custody.

Then there is also breaking down the stolen firearms into the various classes and calibres to show that there are not in fact huge numbers of each and that the statistics are invariabaly skewed by the "traditional firearms" such as the .22 bunny plinker and the 12 gauge - for no other reason than they simply comprise the majority of the legally held firearms in the country.

The silence is deafening.

B'Man

Sorry - ICPSA, the clay pigeon crowd, I presumed that they got a seat as well.

They did. Sparks caused great hilarity some time ago referring to them as the ISPCA (Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). :D

Bananaman wrote: »
    We see a lot of statistics produced in the Dail on stolen legally held firearms - the statistics invariably are quite thick grained "rifles", "shotguns", "others" - have any of the bodies countered this with their own statistics breaking it down into useful numbers such as the number of firearms stolen from secure storage, the number of firearms stolen while a monitored alarm was installed. The number of firearms stolen in an incomplete state (bolt or barrel removed) - number of firearms stolen from garda custody.
    I think that question was asked before Bananaman. I don't think the Gardai keep those kind of statistics in any kind of accessible form. The information may be in the crime report, but to be extracted as statistics, the information you are looking for needs to be in a searchable field in a database which I don't believe exists on the pulse system.
    Then there is also breaking down the stolen firearms into the various classes and calibres to show that there are not in fact huge numbers of each and that the statistics are invariabaly skewed by the "traditional firearms" such as the .22 bunny plinker and the 12 gauge - for no other reason than they simply comprise the majority of the legally held firearms in the country.
    Again, you are assuming that someone in the organisations keeps this information. If they did, it would only be statistics on their own members and if the victims of these crimes were not members of the individual body then they would have no access to these figures. The NARGC has 26,000 members, the other bodies combined would be less than that. When you take it that there are over 220,000 registered firearms in the country then you can see that there is a huge body of unrepresented shooters out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭cantona

rrpc wrote: »
    They did. Sparks caused great hilarity some time ago referring to them as the ISPCA (Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals). :D

On one of my pistol certs,one my clubs was listed as ISPCA instead of IPSA.

Figure that one out

Bananaman wrote: »
    Have any of the invited bodies produced a position paper from the perspective of the "shooters" - lobbied their members on their concerns?

Think this was idea behind my opening post :rolleyes:

NRAI and Midlands range are two seperate entities ? Not sure which one JP is representing but as already stated I'm sure he will do a good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

From the SSAI website:
    The Firearms Consultative Panel -
    On the 2nd October last the SSAI received a written invitation from Mr. Brian Lenihan T.D., Minister for Justice, Equality & Law Reform, requesting that the SSAI nominate a representative to participate and join the Firearms Consultative Panel. This consists of shooting interested groups, An Garda Siochana and relevant Government Departments.

The Panel will be chaired by the Dept. of Justice. Declan Cahill, Chairman of the SSAI is your representative on the Panel. Liam Crawford of the NTSA and John Paul Craven of Midlands (MNSCI) also form part of the Panel. Their reservoir of knowledge will demonstrate that we have a dynamic and energetic representation in this process. They will be supported by a knowledgeable and hardworking SSAI Review Group all through the lifetime of the process.

The process of the Firearms Consultative Panel will, it appears, take approximately, 18 months to 2 years to complete its terms of reference. The Panel held its first meeting at 10.30am on the 6th November last.

It is clear that there is a lot of work, e.g. research, submissions etc., to be done at regular intervals. In order to ensure that all issues which need to be put in place are actively addressed in a structured way, we ask that you take some time out and consider what “issues or concerns” you feel are most important to you as a “shooter”. I am sure that like us all you have experienced various difficulties throughout your career in our sport, and have identified problem areas that will need to be addressed.

Please e-mail your comments, with your club and contact information to shootingsportsireland@gmail.com, where they will be collated and researched by the SSAI Review Group for reference as the Panel goes forward through its various stages over the coming months.

Yours in Sport, Kieran Barry SSAI National Development Officer.

Sparks wrote: »
    From the SSAI website:

Cheers Sparks, What about the lads who don't have internet access ?

Cheers Sparks, What about the lads who don't have internet access ?
    They can always write a letter :D

Seriously though, I'd expect the club chairpersons will be written to. It's what the NTSA normally do and I don't see the SSAI being any different.

Anyone who's a member of more than one organisation is going to be spammed :)

we shall see

• Advertisement

we shall see

Why the cynicism Bunny? It was you who posted the details of the notice on the MNSCI noticeboard. You seemed pretty happy about it.

I shall wait and see if NARGC and CAI contact me

Advertisement