Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restaurant Sittings

• 09-11-2007 8:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Went to book a restuarant for Sat night last night ( thursday ) .

Had to go through 4 before I found one that would take a booking except for 7:30/9:30 ' sittings'

Now last time we sent to a 9:30 , we didn't even start to get our food until 10:00 , so by then you are starving. As for 7:30 , who wants to have a stop watch running , anyway we have a little one and it's too early for us ( she has to settle , and the baby sitter has to come etc )

I understand why restaurants do this ( to turn the tables round/make more money etc ) , BUT the last few time , I turn up at 9:30 ( or 9:15 having decided I am starving ) to find the restaurants half empty , and people just eating their starters , obviously having sat down maybe 20-30 mins before.

I had a bit of a row with one restaurant , we went at 7:30 , they said as we sat down, we need the table at 9:30 , I said , ' well thats up to you isn't it, you bet make sure you serve us at a reasonable pace ' , they got a bit upperty, and what annoyed me , we finally left the table at 10 , and the retaurant was basically 30% full !

So my ' November resolution ' , I refuse to go to a restaurant that runs this system !

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

There's arguments for and against really. I never really pass any remarks of the 'sitting times'. I always arrive a little early for my booking, if the food is served in a timely manner then we would generally have the meal finished in 2hrs leaving the table for the next sitting.

If the food doesn't arrive in a timely fashion then the restaurant can have no problem if you haven't vacated your table.

I would rather have 2 sittings than have the restaurant crammed full of tables with little or no privacy for ourselves.

I understand your point about the restaurant ending up with empty tables for long periods and yet you still feel rushed, poor management I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

If the food doesn't arrive in a timely fashion then the restaurant can have no problem if you haven't vacated your table.

I'm of the same opinion - it's up to them to make sure you're ready to leave.
    I've only ever been 'rushed' at a table once, and it wasn't due to sittings, just terrible service.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭chahop

I hate this system too, i have a restaurant and this makes no sence at all. We will not seat any more than 10 persons in any 15 min period and we don't double book tables for the night. I don't see why owners put so much effort into getting people into a restaurant and then rush them out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

TBH I don't mind restaurants operating this system - as long as they take good care of you and take your orders/serve your food in a timely manner.

Advertisement