Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WTF is going on man???

Options
  • 09-11-2007 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭

Last night my upgrades arrived, nothing special just a new motherboard and E4500, connected everything up hit the power button and nothing! (Mumbles wtf to himself and curses at the machine...) checked all the power connections were connected and nothing! so thought i might have damaged the Jumper pins for the switch, so following the advice for the MSI website I bypassed the switch and used a piece of metal to touch of the pints to make a connection, still noting (at this stage the curses have gotten steadily worse) so I say f*ck it! and I just install my old moboard and chip, connect everything up hit the power button and nothing!!! So I started to think that the PSU is dead, not sure how this could be possible because it was only shut down 5min before I started the Upgrade and was working perfectly. However after I installed my old motherboard I notice that it has a power indicator (just an LED that lights up when the Motherboards has power) but it still wont power on! And I mean nothing at all, not a single fan! Nothing! so even though the old motherboard has that LED which indicates that some kind of power is getting to it, could the PSU still be pretty much dead?

By the way this is the new motherboard http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=P35_Neo-F&class=mb

And I tried these step but don’t think it’s a problem with the motherboard tbh
    http://www.msicomputer.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp#1_1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

Sounds like the PSU allright. Very unusual, though. Normally when they're on the way out they give some warning (like starting, then stopping as the fans spin up).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

If both mobos aint working it's likely not a mobo problem...it's plugged in and the PSU is switched on?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Well this may or maynot help (more than likely not)
    But i had the exact same problem as you, different mb though

took me ages to fix it, Problem turned out to be with the screws on the MB connecting it to the case, they were on too tight

i found a vague reference to it on a forum somewhere and decided after 4 days of messing around and replacing the MB to give it a shot, and guess what, I loosened the screws slightly and it powered on fine

Worth a last shot if you haven;t tried it already

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

paulusdu wrote: »
    Well this may or maynot help (more than likely not)
    But i had the exact same problem as you, different mb though

took me ages to fix it, Problem turned out to be with the screws on the MB connecting it to the case, they were on too tight

i found a vague reference to it on a forum somewhere and decided after 4 days of messing around and replacing the MB to give it a shot, and guess what, I loosened the screws slightly and it powered on fine

Worth a last shot if you haven;t tried it already

Thanks dude will give it a go.

Come to think of it I did have a old can of red bull before hand, you know just to psych myself up, maybe i gave it a couple of extra turns :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭jessy

Defo the PSU had failed, got a new one in pcworld :-( (the thieving wastards) and the computer booted up first time! so happy out now E4500 was very cheap but seriously fast

• Advertisement
Advertisement