Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wolfenstein Movie Delayed

Options
  • 09-11-2007 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭

Just read on GameSpot that the Return To Castle Wolfenstein movie has been delayed. Granted, I didn't even know they were making one, but what confused me was this bit in bold:
    GameSpot wrote:
    Writer/director Roger Avary told SCI FI Wire that he is almost done with the script for Return to Castle Wolfenstein, his adaptation of the hit video game, which he hopes to direct, but added that everything is on hold until the writers' strike ends.

Avary, who is co-writer with Neil Gaiman of the upcoming animated film Beowulf, said in an interview Nov. 3 that he "is almost done with the script and am proud of it, but everything as far as the production date and that kind of thing won't be decided on until after all this [is] over. And I fully support the strike."

Avary said the film will be based on a Commodore 64 game and will be a lot like "a World War II old movie of guys who are out on a mission, but this one will have the addition of monsters and horror and a lot of craziness all mixed together. We will start it when it is the right time."

Avary said he did research into the paranormal, the American military and the Nazis. Avary, who won an Academy Award for Pulp Fiction with Quentin Tarantino, also wrote Silent Hill, which is also based on a video game.

The original didn't have monsters in it, did it? (or is no one else here as old as I am? :( )

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Not too sure actually, I only ever played the shareware version...
    Doesn't look like there was according to this (lol at Gretel Grosse:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well that was Escape From Castle Wolfenstein. There was a Castle Wolfenstein too. I'll try and dig out some info and pics.
    tman wrote:
    (lol at Gretel Grosse)

tee hee

edit: here's the wikipedia page for it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Wolfenstein
    And here's a pic: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/73/CastleWolfensteinPickChest.png

It's crazy how graphics have changed through the years...*reminisces fondly*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I wonder if they're basing it on Castle Wolfenstein so that they don't have to give iD any monies for it...
    Either way it'll be absolutely terrible:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I feel Roger Avery is just surviving in Hollywood on the fact that he had a hand in the script of Pulp Fiction. He made a half decent attempt on Silent Hill but still the script was pretty poor and only saved by the great visuals, a Silent Hill film had the potential of being truly great instead of forgettable.

Castle Wolfenstein could be decent if they kept it tongue in cheek and an eighties action movie vibe going.

"terribly brilliant", I assume you mean! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

F**king ****. The title had my hopes up for a movie based on Wolf3D:(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

humanji wrote: »
    Just read on GameSpot that the Return To Castle Wolfenstein movie has been delayed. Granted, I didn't even know they were making one, but what confused me was this bit in bold:

The original didn't have monsters in it, did it? (or is no one else here as old as I am? :( )

Spear of Destiny did, didn't it?

Actually, just wiki'd it. The first episode didn't, but then:
    Having defeated Grosse and escaped the castle, B.J. moves on to Operation: Eisenfaust. B.J. finds out that the operation is real, and that the Nazis are creating a mutant army of undead zombies in Castle Hollehammer. When the episode begins, B.J. has just entered the castle; the walls are covered in mulch, and the first enemies found are mutants with third arms grafted into their chests holding pistols

And the wiki article has an Atari Jaguar reference, so it must be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

God Silent Hill was bad. That scene near the end with the
    psycho bitch and the razor chains in the church
    was fantastic, rest of it was pretty crappy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,411 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I was cringing at how they kept the plot moving by using videogame plot devices. They go to one place, 'oh I've found a piece of paper that tells me to go to [creepy place]' and then when they get there someone tells them to go somewhere else. A script based on videogame fetch quests, which people give out about for being in videogames, doens't make a good film.

The first Wolfenstein had zombies in it with guns in their chests. Monsters wouldn't exactly be a far departure from wolfenstein silliness.

It's a pity that the start of Hellboy was probably a far better wolfenstein film than this will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

It'll never be as good as SS Doomtrooper.

And by good I mean bad.

• Advertisement

koneko wrote: »

And by good I mean bad.

I'm intrigued. Is it so bad it's good or so bad it's bad ala Leprachaun 4: in Space

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The first Wolfenstein had zombies in it with guns in their chests. Monsters wouldn't exactly be a far departure from wolfenstein silliness.

Well that was Wolfenstein 3d which I don't think came out on the Commodore, but the article references the Commodore 64. It's just a case of me being pedantic, I guess.

koneko wrote:

And by good I mean bad.

Damn, I remember starting to watch that to see if it was as bad as they say and got to a point where I simply couldn't go on. How could a film with a giant zombie nazi monster fail so miserably?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I'm intrigued. Is it so bad it's good or so bad it's bad ala Leprachaun 4: in Space

I watched it hoping it would be so-bad-it's-good-again, but it never looped back round to that, it just stayed firmly in "bad" territory. Really really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Wasn't there a top down version of Wolfenstein on the C64 ?

It's the one I linked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

koneko wrote: »
    I watched it hoping it would be so-bad-it's-good-again, but it never looped back round to that, it just stayed firmly in "bad" territory. Really really bad.

Haha. So true, its TERRIBLE. What a bad film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

Ah poo, I loved the story of RTCW, zombies in a WW2 enviroment FTW! Actually Imma go reinstall it, really fun game tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Class game, stick on cheats and complete the whole game using only the sniper rifle if your bored.

taking on the SS Doomtroopes with only a sniper rifle is hard but possible.

SS Doom trooper Parker lewis nailed him good :D

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

On the bright side though, a certain Mr. Payne is on the way...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34741

JCDenton wrote: »
    On the bright side though, a certain Mr. Payne is on the way...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/34741

Not sure that's a bright side ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭JCDenton

MOH wrote: »
    Not sure that's a bright side ...

Ah of course it is!

Max Payne will translate into a film far better than Wolfenstein will.

I can't imagine the word-of-mouth publicity for Wolfenstein will rake in the average joe to cinemas everywhere.

The Max Payne series has surely outsold the Wolfenstein series, and it's "cooler" to boot. (Even if it is one long cliché).

JCDenton wrote: »
    Ah of course it is!

Max Payne will translate into a film far better than Wolfenstein will.

I can't imagine the word-of-mouth publicity for Wolfenstein will rake in the average joe to cinemas everywhere.

The Max Payne series has surely outsold the Wolfenstein series, and it's "cooler" to boot. (Even if it is one long cliché).

Don't get me wrong, I love both Max Paynes, just bought it again a few months ago, just worried what the film will be like.

Advertisement