Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesco filling station

Options
  • 09-11-2007 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭

Was parking at the Tesco filling station in Maynooth where I scuffed my alloys on the badly designed kerb around the pumps where you have two huge sections jutting out. Have to say this has never happened in any other filling station and judging by the condition of these kerbs they have caused grief to many other motorists. There is a metallic strip all along the edge when it makes contact with the wheel it lifts a fair bit of lacquer off Would it not be unreasonable to have a rubber strip on these exposed areas to protect ones wheels?

btw does anyone have any advice on restoring alloys?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Why should tesco cater for your bad driving :-)

As for fixing them...

Dave McCann
    Unit 12 Coolmine Bus. Park,
    Blanchardstown,
    Dublin 15.
    087 - 2500365 or 01 - 8202221

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Unfortunately can't help with the scuffed alloys, but I've mounted those also. However I've got naff plastic hubcaps so not so nasty a cost to bear to replace them.

They're entirely pointless and could easily lead to someone suing them if they were in a mind to. I don't remember if the other Tesco's have them too.

testicle wrote: »
    Why should tesco cater for your bad driving :-)

You realistically can't see or expect these to be here. The concerete on the ground beneath the pumps is shaped like an exaggurated "B", or:

--)
    |
    |
    --)

I think its to try and stop people hitting the pumps but I've never seen anyone do that in my life, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

I've seen pumps driven into. If the concrete is high enough to damage your alloys, it's high enough to see. I've been to that petrol station loads, and never scuffed my alloys there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I get all my petrol in Maynooth and I've never hit the kerb. Just bad judgement.

P.S. I don't have alloys, so I'm not unduly worried about scraping or scuffing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Thanks for the info on reparing the wheels folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭jawlie

MYOB wrote: »

They're entirely pointless and could easily lead to someone suing them... .
    You are saying that because a guy is driving his car, and his car is in a collision with a stationary object, it is the fault of the owner of the stationary object and not the guy in control of the car that that he drives his car into this stationary object?

How sad to see the sueing culture still around, although its refreshin to note that most courts would no longer tolerate such nonsense.

jawlie wrote: »
    You are saying that because a guy is driving his car, and his car is in a collision with a stationary object, it is the fault of the owner of the stationary object and not the guy in control of the car that that he drives his car into this stationary object?

How sad to see the sueing culture still around, although its refreshin to note that most courts would no longer tolerate such nonsense.

Didn't say I would be the one suing! the comment was a reference to the fact that people in this country sue at the drop of a hat to begin with...

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

The forecourt is badly designed in my opinion, while the petrol is reasonably priced and the pay@pump is handy designing the court like bumping car circuit is not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 hardman26

damn kerbs... they jump out of nowhere :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

I was filling up one day at that particular Tesco when I heard a loud "pffffffttt!" noise coming from behind me. A lady, very eager to get as close as possible to the pump, had managed to burst her tyre on the steel edge of the kerb. It was quite funny, but I take your point, they do seem a excessive. I especially don't see the need for the steel edging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

I fill up there all the time and never noticed the kerb.

Advertisement