Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing gas fire with stove

Options
  • 09-11-2007 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

We're looking at replacing our gas fire in the sitting room as, for the amount of gas it uses, it's not doing a great job of warming the room (needs to be on at almost full all the time). If we had something more efficient in there we could turn down the heating in the rest of the house for much of the evening.

I know that gas stoves and those insert fires are much more efficient and we have decided to start looking at the options.

Can these be bought reconditioned or second hand anywhere as budget is pretty tight?

Does anyone have any recommendations, both for suppliers and products?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Don't foregt that you may have to either line the chimney if you change over.
    Can you describe the current design of the chimney and specifically the mouth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

I figured I'll probably have to put in a liner alright.

It's close in design to fig 3a here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭TKK

Had the gas fire going again tonight and the output vs gas burned is woeful - jaysus but it needs changing. All advice welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,101 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The old fashioned gas fires are pretty efficient. The living flame ones are useless for heating but nice to look at...

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Advertisement